Swedes curb rampant downloading

Sweden has outlawed the downloading of copyrighted movies, games and music in an attempt to curb rampant piracy.

About 10% of Swedes freely swap music, games and films on their computers, one of the highest rates in the world.

With no law banning file-sharing, Sweden had become a hotbed of piracy where films, music and software were readily swapped.

But experts believe the law will change little and that Swedes will remain rampant downloaders.

Pirate haven

Prior to the law coming into force, Sweden was the only European nation that let people download copyrighted material for personal use.

As a result many Swedes, thanks also to the available of cheap high-speed net access, were committed downloaders. It is estimated that about 900,000 Swedes regularly downloaded movies, games and music.

The law was drawn up to bring Sweden into line with EU directives and is also part of a wider crackdown on net piracy.

It comes a day after the US Attorney General's office announced an 11-nation operation to catch and shut down net piracy groups.

But, say experts, the habit of downloading is likely to be hard to break.

"There is nothing that indicates that (the pirates) would change their behaviour," said Henrik Ponten, a spokesman for Antipiratbyran, a Swedish anti-piracy agency funded by film studios and game makers.

"A law in itself changes nothing," he said.

No fear

Antipiratbyran estimates that one in every 2,000 Swedes has received a letter telling them that they are making pirated material available from their computer. In other nations the ratio is one in every 7,000.

The change in the law was popular with most Swedish politicians. But the nation's Justice Minister said that chasing pirates would only be a priority for the police if files were being downloaded in massive quantities.

Before the new law was passed, it was only illegal to make copyrighted material available to others via the net, whereas downloading the content was allowed.

The older law is set to be tested later this year during the trial of a 27-year-old Swede, charged with illegally making a Swedish movie available from his home computer.

Mr Ponten said if the man were fined it would send a signal to many that they could continue downloading with little fear of the consequences.

Antipiratbyran's letter writing campaign has led it to being reported to Sweden's data protection agency for flouting privacy laws by tracking people down via their net address.

As a result the data protection agency has said Antipiratbyran must stop sending out letters.

"The situation in Sweden is completely unique, with this kind of counter-reaction," said Mr Ponten.

"The forces that are fighting to keep this illegal behaviour are incredibly strong."

News Source@ BBC News

--------------------------------

Guess the Swedes are gonna be in a bit of a hotbed for a little while. No more PirateBay also I take it.

US

PirateBay can always rent a server in Russia.... ;)
all this copyright witchhunt is becoming boring.... just look at WotW" topic and what many think about the movie....its basically "it wasnt bad for summer blockbuster" saying it was acctually POS, but since there isnt anything else they'll give it passing mark....

fuck copyright in such cases. why cant we sue makers for pain they cause us when we watch such POS?

silence said:
fuck copyright in such cases. why cant we sue makers for pain they cause us when we watch such POS?
People watch such POS because they want to. AFAIK, the studio's have yet to force anyone to sit in a movie theater and watch the screen A Clockwork Orange style.

Do you think a game, movie, or music is worthless? Then don't play, watch, or listen to it.

Is that really such a difficult concept?

ZoinKs! said:
Do you think a game, movie, or music is worthless? Then don't play, watch, or listen to it.

Slight flaw in your thinking ... you don't know it's crap until you've paid your money for it and at least started playing, watching or listening.

Wanna refund? ... good luck getting that! As for getting the murdered brain cells revived, no chance.

nutball said:
ZoinKs! said:

Slight flaw in your thinking ... you don't know it's crap until you've paid your money for it and at least started playing, watching or listening.

Wanna refund? ... good luck getting that! As for getting the murdered brain cells revived, no chance.
Well you know something, life is a big gamble. Its your choice to whether or not to go see the movie. It might suck, it might be awesome but you decide whether to take the chance and see it.

epic

nutball said:
Slight flaw in your thinking ... you can know ahead of time whether it's crap or not.

You can ask other people what they thought of it. Or you can read reviews. Many games have demos. Music: listen to a couple songs on the radio.

I'm a gamer. I don't pirate titles but have never bought anything unplayable. I can't think of any game that I've ever bought and then not enjoyed to some extent or another. Doom 3 is the closest I've come to that but even so, I enjoyed it for a while. (edit: the reason that happened is becuase I bought it on day one rather then waiting to hear more about it. That was a risk I choose to take.)

silence said:
PirateBay can always rent a server in Russia.... ;)

The Pirate Bay isn't doing anything illegal in most countries and the agencies in Sweden understand that. They are just a broker between people and don't share any copyrighted materials themselves.

Unknown Soldier said:
With no law banning file-sharing, Sweden had become a hotbed of piracy where films, music and software were readily swapped.
Prior to the law coming into force, Sweden was the only European nation that let people download copyrighted material for personal use.
Not entirely accurate. Making copyrighted material available without authourization ("uploading") was previously illegal too. Downloading has been in a gray zone due to limited copying being allowed among friends, family etc, and thus there hasn't been a clear line for how many "friends" you can download from.

Additionally, at the risk of stating the obvious, the new copyright law is accompanied with nonsense such as anti-DRM-circumvention stuff, and an increase of the "tax" on optical media/flash storage etc that goes directly to a private organization with little transparency that hands out money to copyright owners in the music business.

As for Sweden being a "hotbed for piracy" I'd personally say that has had more to do with connection speeds than anything else.

But experts believe the law will change little and that Swedes will remain rampant downloaders.
Because unlike in some other countries, the police has usually more important things to do than catching people sharing warez (with the notable exception of the raid on Bahnhof ISP, which probably won't happen again because there were several question of the legality of that). Perhaps more importantly, recently the private organization Antipiratbyrån ("Anti-piracy Bureau"), APB, was told it wasn't allowed to collect IP addresses of copyright infringers, because IP:s was to be considered personal information (or they could be used to get at personal information, dont remember which), and Swedish law is rather strict on storing personal information in digital form. Ergo, the police don't really have the resources to catch copyright infringers, and at the time it's unclear what APB can do when they aren't allowed to store IP's.

What I find hilarious is with all these laws they pass on file-trading they still don't make it illegal to host torrent files. :LOL:

tobbe said:
...with the notable exception of the raid on Bahnhof ISP, which probably won't happen again because there were several question of the legality of that

I would put that a bit stronger. The only reason Antipiratbyrån came out of that without a lawsuit, was that Bahnhof (as a small ISP who doesn't want to pick fights) agreed to settle out of court.

For anyone who hasn't heard of it:
It all started with Antipiratbyrån showing proof that Bahnhof had a ftp site with illegal stuff (I don't remember if it was music, movies, warez or all of it). So the police search the place an did indeed find the ftp server with illegal stuff.

Alll is fine, except...
Bahnhof officials claimed that they didn't know that that server existed at all. Your first (natural) thought is probably "Of course the say that, that doesn't mean it's true". But this time it realy turned out to be that way. The persons how ran the ftp server were employed at Bahnhof, but the got another paycheck too. It was actually Antipiratbyrån who payed them to start the ftp server behind the back of Bahnhof.

All charges against Bahnhof was thrown out. The settling out of court was about how much Antipiratbyrån would pay for the damage.

Basic said:
tobbe said:
...with the notable exception of the raid on Bahnhof ISP, which probably won't happen again because there were several question of the legality of that

I would put that a bit stronger. The only reason Antipiratbyrån came out of that without a lawsuit, was that Bahnhof (as a small ISP who doesn't want to pick fights) agreed to settle out of court.

For anyone who hasn't heard of it:
It all started with Antipiratbyrån showing proof that Bahnhof had a ftp site with illegal stuff (I don't remember if it was music, movies, warez or all of it). So the police search the place an did indeed find the ftp server with illegal stuff.

Alll is fine, except...
Bahnhof officials claimed that they didn't know that that server existed at all. Your first (natural) thought is probably "Of course the say that, that doesn't mean it's true". But this time it realy turned out to be that way. The persons how ran the ftp server were employed at Bahnhof, but the got another paycheck too. It was actually Antipiratbyrån who payed them to start the ftp server behind the back of Bahnhof.

All charges against Bahnhof was thrown out. The settling out of court was about how much Antipiratbyrån would pay for the damage.

music to my ears....... go Sweden. ;)

Basic said:
The persons how ran the ftp server were employed at Bahnhof, but the got another paycheck too. It was actually Antipiratbyrån who payed them to start the ftp server behind the back of Bahnhof.

So Antipiratbyrån paid the Bahnhof employee to start up an illegal FTP server on Bahnhof's server and then Antipiratbyrån went after them for piracy?!?!

Sounds like the RIAA has got some new competition... :LOL:

Back