TOP 20 games from Tokyo

yes, both those games rely heavily on the "cute" side.
(eternal sonata is trusty bell: choppin's dream btw)
A nightmare would be the cute infection affecting things like gears or halo
halo kitty 3 :LOL:

9. Monster Kingdom: Unknown Realms
Sony Computer Entertainment Japan Studio (Game Republic)
PlayStation 3
Anyone else seen the trailer for this? Very short and not too exciting from a technical POV (that's why I did not make a thread for it here), but the concept intrigues me. Who knows more about this game?

And Shifty, thanks for the "real" list, it sure puts things into perspective!

It's worth pointing out this list is Next-gen's choice. They indicate there was a show floor survey for the best titles which was a very different story...

In alphabetical order of Japanese title

Gran Turismo HD
The Eye of Judgment
the 3D remake of Tales of Destiny for PlayStation 2
Elebits for Nintendo Wii
Seiken Densetsu 4 for PlayStation 2
Monster Hunter 2 for PSP
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops for PSP
and Gyakuten Saiban (Phoenix Wright) 4 for Nintendo DS.

The one that stands out for me is Eye of Judgement. From it's first E3 showing I was thinking this could be big in Japan. It obviously got more interest from the public than FFXIII, WKS, LO, BD, and all those other 'big' titles that the western media have been gagging over as Japanese blockbusters.

I think the real take-home message here is - 'next-gen? We don't need no stinkin' next-gen!'

I'm sure Blue Dragon, Lost Planet and Heavenly Sword were among the 11 voted Best in Show.

http://ps3.qj.net/TGS-2006-Best-In-Show-Award-winners/pg/49/aid/67323TGS

I missed that one. That's another PS3 title, and one pretty much everyone's ignored. Seems whatever the press aren't talking about is set to be a big success in Japan!

I missed that one. That's another PS3 title, and one pretty much everyone's ignored. Seems whatever the press aren't talking about is set to be a big success in Japan!

You sure did, BD and Lost Planet were both voted in the top 10 at the show by attendees, in a much better survey than this 'floor survey.'

Half the titles are next gen titles so I'm not sure about your theory that they don't care about NG gaming.

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3877&Itemid=2

JOINT FIRST TWO PLACES

Lost Odyssey
Mistwalker (Feel+ Plus) / Microsoft Game Studios
Xbox 360

and

Blue Dragon
Mistwalker (Artoon) / Microsoft Game Studios
Xbox 360

3. White Knight Story
Sony Computer Entertainment Japan Studio (Level-5)
PlayStation 3

4. Lost Planet
Capcom
Xbox 360

5. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 4
Capcom
Nintendo DS

6. Lair
Sony Computer Entertainment (Factor 5)
PlayStation 3

7. Devil May Cry 4
Capcom
PlayStation 3

8. Virtua Fighter 5
Sega (AM2)
PlayStation 3

9. Monster Kingdom: Unknown Realms
Sony Computer Entertainment Japan Studio (Game Republic)
PlayStation 3

10. Earth Defense Force 3
D3 Publisher (Sandlot)
Xbox 360

11. Tales of the Tempest
Namco (Tales Studio) / Bandai-Namco Games
Nintendo DS

12. Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker
Square-Enix (TOSE)
Nintendo DS

13. Yakuza 2
Sega
PlayStation 2

14. Sonic the Hedgehog
Sega (Sonic Team)
Wii

15. Sega Ages 2500: Monster World Collection
Sega
PlayStation 2

16. Culdecept Saga
Sega (Omiya Soft)
Xbox 360

17. Gundam Operation Troy
Bandai (Dimps) / Bandai-Namco
Xbox 360

18. Luminous Arc
Marvelous Interactive (Imagepoch)
Nintendo DS

19. Paperman
Cykan
PC

20. Trusty Bell
Namco (tri-Crescendo) / Bandai-Namco Games
Xbox 360

very interesting how good games can push a platform

Are these impressions from the Japanese?

The article is pretty worthless, just one guys opinion and that guy appears to be the worst kind of xbot.

He wrote..
"For example, I've personally sold an Xbox 360 to maybe a dozen friends thanks to the.."
Not much difference between him and the xbots on this forum who periodically feel the need to give us the hard sell to persuade us to buy a 360

Since we're throwing up lists now...
Here's one I spotted a couple of days ago from Gamepro, but it's strictly based on visuals.

Before arriving at TGS, we would have given the Xbox 360 the nod in terms of the next-generation hardware battle. Sony has made a series of blunders in the last six months, and from what we saw and heard about prior to the show, developers were having a lot of trouble developing for the PS3 hardware compared to the ease of PC-like Xbox 360 programming. Plus, side by side, 360 and PS3 games looked almost indistinguishable in terms of graphics.

But at TGS and the following special hands-on media event at Sony Studios in Tokyo, we were swayed in the Sony's direction. Some of the PS3 launch-games on display were simply breathtaking -- definitely the most advanced graphics ever displayed on a console system.
1. Ridge Racer 7 (PS3)

2. Virtua Tennis 3 (PS3)

3. Lost Planet: Extreme Condition (Xbox 360)

4. MotorStorm (PS3)

5. Lair (PS3)

6. DOAX2 (Xbox 360)

7. Resistance: Fall of Man (PS3)

8. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3)
I'm not too familiar with this site so I don't know if they have any particular leaning, but from what we've heard elsewhere it seems like a reasonable ranking. Of course it doesn't tell us anything about gameplay.

-aldo

I believe all the three big 360 rpgs, Lost Odyessy, Blue Dragon, and Trusty Bell, along with PS3's White Knight, would be at the top of my list. Gameplay wise, they obviously don't offer anything much thats revolutionary, but I think they hold a lot of potential story wise, especially Trusty Bell!

Next in line would be Lost Planet, and then Motorstorm.

Lair reminds me alot of the Rogue Squadron games; DMC4, RR7, and VF5 seem to me to be just more of the same.

Since we're throwing up lists now...
Here's one I spotted a couple of days ago from Gamepro, but it's strictly based on visuals.

I'm not too familiar with this site so I don't know if they have any particular leaning, but from what we've heard elsewhere it seems like a reasonable ranking. Of course it doesn't tell us anything about gameplay.

-aldo

To say that Ridge Racer and virtua tennis look better than Lost Planet, MGS4, Lost Odyssey and GOW is laughable.

And no, Gamepro is not a respected publication or online site in most peoples eyes.

Both Lost Odyessy and Blue Dragon were only shown/played behind closed door sections of the MS booth. Anyone could go in to see them, but there were absurdly long lines to get in (45-60mins). So most people didnt even get to see these in action. And while standing in line you could not see other people playing.

This is in contrast to the other games that were openely on display around the MS booth. I think they wanted to have more control over the way their games were seen and really tightly control who gets to take pictures of thier game etc. But overall I think it was a bad bad idea.

Because lines to play games were so long mostly I just walked around and watched other people playing the games over their shoulders. But I could not do that for either LO or BD so I left TGS really with no impression of what these games were like at all. I could only go by the trailers that were already available.

In the Sony booth, most of the games that were playable were out in the open so that even while you were standing in line, you could see the game in action over other peoples shoulders. So that makes waiting in line feel far less stupid.

The only games in a closed door area in the Sony booth were resistance and Warhawk. But at least for those 2 games you could sort of peek through the gaps in the wall to see what was going on inside.

Anyway MS did a huge marketing campagin for Blue Dragon at TGS. There were posters of the logo everywere and there were people handing out promotional stuff even before you got to the convention center. I think most Japanese people who went to TGS only know it because of the promotion and very few actually saw the game at all.

BTW my top 5 from TGS would be like this (playable games only).

Games I need to buy from most wanted on down:
#1 Virtua Fighter 5
#2 Resistance
#3 Heavenly Sword
#4 Sonic the Hedgehog
#5 Lost Planet
#6 DOAX2
#7 Warhawk
#8 F1
#9 Metal Gear Portable Ops
#10 Motorstorm

God damn it! I am going to be spending money so fast! I might have to start cutting back on drunken parties.

Last edited by a moderator:
JOINT FIRST TWO PLACES

Lost Odyssey
Mistwalker (Feel+ Plus) / Microsoft Game Studios
Xbox 360

and

Blue Dragon
Mistwalker (Artoon) / Microsoft Game Studios
Xbox 360

3. White Knight Story
Sony Computer Entertainment Japan Studio (Level-5)
PlayStation 3

If there's a joint first two places, why is there no 2nd place at all, but it skips to 3rd place?

Back