Top 100 Selling Games Last 12 Months (All Platforms)

Yeah. This constant questioning of reasonable data is getting tiring.

I'm sorry that Motorstorm didn't sell that great from March to March, but that's the way it goes. There's no conspiracy here.

this list is a good example to use for the argument game quality vs game sales.

in saying that though is COD4 really that good? ie is it worth me checking it out on the PC.
or is it one of those games that doesnt make the console -> PC conversion

this list is a good example to use for the argument game quality vs game sales.

in saying that though is COD4 really that good? ie is it worth me checking it out on the PC.
or is it one of those games that doesnt make the console -> PC conversion

COD4 is really really good, highly recommended. The PC version is very well done, multilayer is amazing and of course on the PC you get better controls and graphics. I wouldn't touch it on any other system.

Cheap shovel ware thats sells are one of the contributing factors that keeps us from paying $1000+ for game consoles. I wouldn't mind the scenario where shovel ware was selling 10 million units at a time and we spent our time arguing how paying $59.99 was too expensive for the PS3 and how console sales would take off once within $20-25 dollar range. Oooohhhh how nice that would be....I can dream can't I?

Very true. I'm just disappointed that so many people buy these games I guess.... just demonstrates a lack of passion for gaming in general. I'd much prefer if people had more diverse tastes and didn't just buy the latest movie tie in or sports game.

Unless you're arguing that people are buying shovelware or they aren't buying software at all, your argument seems rather weak.

I think that is exactly what dobwal was arguing (correct me if I misinterpreted!). I tend to agree with this assumption as well. People who buy these movie tie ins or sports games generally aren't interested in other IPs or a more in depth gaming experience. It's very possible many of these consumers wouldn't even buy a console in the first place if these games weren't available.

Yeah. This constant questioning of reasonable data is getting tiring.

I'm sorry that Motorstorm didn't sell that great from March to March, but that's the way it goes. There's no conspiracy here.

Your the first one to say anything about a conspiracy.:???:

Motorstorm sold 1 million copies in PAL territories before June. The pack-in was available after that. So for them to be correct, Motorstorm didn't sell anything in the USA before the pack-in release and no single copies after it anywhere.

Is it so difficult to believe that out of a hundred games they the numbers wrong on one of them?

Your the first one to say anything about a conspiracy.:???:

Motorstorm sold 1 million copies in PAL territories before June. The pack-in was available after that. So for them to be correct, Motorstorm didn't sell anything in the USA before the pack-in release and no single copies after it anywhere.

Is it so difficult to believe that out of a hundred games they the numbers wrong on one of them?

Did it sell or ship a million copies?? I was thinking that MotoSt had shipped around 1.5 million stand alone copies last time I noticed though I am not sure, but this figure was since its initial Japanese release. With it being a pack in I would imagine that standalone sales fell dramatically.

Is it feasible that the game wasnt included because it was technically originally released prior to the dates listed for analysis??

About automatically discounting the accuracy of the data. When for all intents and purposes it's about as accurate as we are going to get.

I agree it's possibly as good as any we are going to get.
Still doesn't make it more accurate than "corrected" vgchartz, because besides NPD, almost all public data or publisher numbers are for shipped.
So an NPD only or shipped only list would make more sense.

Did it sell or ship a million copies?? I was thinking that MotoSt had shipped around 1.5 million stand alone copies last time I noticed though I am not sure, but this figure was since its initial Japanese release. With it being a pack in I would imagine that standalone sales fell dramatically.

Is it feasible that the game wasnt included because it was technically originally released prior to the dates listed for analysis??

No, Motorstorm is in the list on spot 51 with a million copies sold. And the million PAL copies was sold to gamers. Sony made a special announcement for it.

I agree it's possibly as good as any we are going to get.
Still doesn't make it more accurate than "corrected" vgchartz, because besides NPD, almost all public data or publisher numbers are for shipped.
So an NPD only or shipped only list would make more sense.

Right. But thats the thing, they say they used NPD numbers, the publicly available sold numbers, and finally all numbers represent retail sales only. It states no where they used shipped numbers?

But enough on that.

Rock Band at 32 with 1.5m at $169 is pretty impressive in 5 months.

No, Motorstorm is in the list on spot 51 with a million copies sold. And the million PAL copies was sold to gamers. Sony made a special announcement for it.

Sony's figures most likely represent shipped and not sold (with sold being "sold to retail" or whatever).

Though I apologize not being aware that it made it on the list at all.

I can only imagine what games like NFS would do if they had the same effort put into them as something like Forza. Sad part is that someone at EA has probably done the math and the shovelware wins. :LOL:

They got their numbers wrong. Motorstorm has sold over 3 million and I didn't even see Resistance in that list.

they would only need to make up 2 million pack ins between north america and europe. Now I know in the united states they had motor storm bundled with the 80 gig units and i'm pretty sure it was part of some bundles in europe. Factor in japan sales and we have less than 2m units to make up

Then factor in that almost every game publisher states shipped and not sold numbers (capcom being one of them ) I can def see these numbers correct.

I think whats more important is how badly the exclusive ps3 titles are doing. Heavenly sword is just over 600k ? can that be right ? 700k+ for uncharted ?

A lot of junk in there. Seems there are two typess of gamers, undiscriminating kids, and discriminating older gamers who buy high quality, ultra high production values stuff (halo, COD, etc).

I really think it comes down to mostly that, age. Many of the shovelware in the list are simply games for young children. Stuff like Hannah Montana and even Transformers. These are also the titles you see ported to every platform know to man, even GBA and GC and especially handhelds..

This is just inaccurate and wrong. They say themselves they have estimated European numbers. It appears that in some cases they have simply doubled NA numbers for a title. Eg. Uncharted - it sold twice as many in Europe as in NA, reportedly selling 1million worldwide, yet Edge have just approximately doubled the NA NPD sales numbers.

Back