Top 100 Selling Games Last 12 Months (All Platforms)

The very fact that vile stuff like Spiderman 3, Transformers and Pirate of the Caribbean sold that well makes me lose faith in humanity. :cry:

That would be 2 million pack-ins. Sounds like to much to me. They sold a million pretty fast and the pack-in was released in the second half of the year.

They got their numbers wrong. Motorstorm has sold over 3 million and I didn't even see Resistance in that list.

Read the last page. Only games released from March 1 2007 to March 1 2008 were included. I didn't see a numbers of 360 games like Gears on that list either. Also, pack ins weren't included.

Last edited by a moderator:
The very fact that vile stuff like Spiderman 3, Transformers and Pirate of the Caribbean sold that well makes me lose faith in humanity. :cry:

Why, if everyone had the stringent level of requirements as highend gamers, the market couldn't sustain itself.

I'm from europe so Resistance was released here on march 23, but I guess that doesn't matter for this list even though most copies where probably sold within that time frame. And that still doesn't explain Motorstorm.

Wow how depressing. So many unoriginal shovel ware games in the top 20. I really wish consumers in general didn't have such horrible taste.

Cheap shovel ware thats sells are one of the contributing factors that keeps us from paying $1000+ for game consoles. I wouldn't mind the scenario where shovel ware was selling 10 million units at a time and we spent our time arguing how paying $59.99 was too expensive for the PS3 and how console sales would take off once within $20-25 dollar range. Oooohhhh how nice that would be....I can dream can't I?

I'm from europe so Resistance was released here on march 23, but I guess that doesn't matter for this list even though most copies where probably sold within that time frame. And that still doesn't explain Motorstorm.

The list is unreliable since it's mixing all kind of different sources, possibly from different time frames.
I'm willing to bet most of the sources are in shipped numbers, though I guess they may be estimating based on that. Still CoD4 and Halo selling 8 million each is unbelievable.
Motorstorm number seems reasonable though (maybe even lower).
Resistance PAL may have been ignored as re-release if it was on the previous year's list.

So the lowest figure is 460K. Bizarre Creations and Microsoft must not be happy. :(

I wonder how Crackdown finally did. A shame it doesn't factor into their criteria since it was released just the week before March 1. :rolleyes: :p

Cheap shovel ware thats sells are one of the contributing factors that keeps us from paying $1000+ for game consoles. I wouldn't mind the scenario where shovel ware was selling 10 million units at a time and we spent our time arguing how paying $59.99 was too expensive for the PS3 and how console sales would take off once within $20-25 dollar range. Oooohhhh how nice that would be....I can dream can't I?

So you're saying the price of a console is direct proportional to the quality of its games? I don't follow that logic at all...

If people bought more quality games instead of such below average games, the size of the market wouldn't change, the potential revenue for publishers / developers would still be the same.

Unless you're arguing that people are buying shovelware or they aren't buying software at all, your argument seems rather weak.

The list is unreliable since it's mixing all kind of different sources, possibly from different time frames.
I'm willing to bet most of the sources are in shipped numbers, though I guess they may be estimating based on that. Still CoD4 and Halo selling 8 million each is unbelievable.
Motorstorm number seems reasonable though (maybe even lower).
Resistance PAL may have been ignored as re-release if it was on the previous year's list.

Come on, don't be so unreasonable:

Notes:

* Numbers are based on official records from NPD and information provided to Next-Gen by publishers. Publicly available data and analysis was also taken into account, as well as dead reckoning and sanity checking from the Next-Gen staff when exact counts (such as unified sales data for Europe) were difficult to corroborate, conflicting, or unavailable.
* Numbers take into account only titles released and sold between March 1, 2007 and March 1, 2008. Each game only had to be released in one western territory to be included.
* Numbers take into account North America and Western Europe only.
* Numbers represent retail sales only.
* Pack-in titles were not counted.
* Older games re-released in the last year were only included if they included significant changes beyond a lower price. Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition is an example of the former (thanks to its new control scheme). Hitman Trilogy, a collection of three Hitman games with no content changes, would be an example of the latter.

Back