TitanFall [XO,X360]

Sony does not have a functional OS monopoly (in the PC space). To play Windows games you obviously need to buy a MS product first. Microsoft also makes the vast majority of their money from Windows and Windows based software.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

Cheers

And you think windows sales would see significant increase if MS released it's exclusives on that platform? I expect the list of people who own an xbox but not a PC is fairly small and the number of people that would buy a windows license just to play an otherwise xbox exclusive is insignificant.

Interesting, I didn't believe it was ever a timed exclusive (as in didn't have a view either way), but people was saying that and trying to speak it into reality like it was a done deal.
Do you have a link for that, or what? And I don't mean unfounded rumours?

Yes you can play it elsewhere but only on X1 for next gen console, for people that aren't interested in PC isn't that what matters?

I've always felt that if MS had exclusives they should bring them to PC personally and felt it was a shame they never, even if at a later date.

I also wouldn't take it for granted yet that any sequels would automatically be multi platform either, as his later tweets said not to read anything more into it.
People take that as meaning they will be multi platform, but it could just as easily mean their only talking about the first, and not saying anything either way about later TF games.

What is it now? Or is this the same factual information about it being multi plat?
Zampella's tweets are clear that the agreement with EA only covers the first Titanfall, that this was a recent development, and that Respawn intends to support the PS4 in the future. Also he confirms the title was originally only supposed to be exclusive at launch. Add to that rumors that work on the PS4 had recently started and it's pretty clear that the plan all along was to go multiplatform at a later date, that is until the recent announcement.

MS doesn't benefit any more from releasing their exclusives on PC than Sony would (and would suffer about the same amount from the negative impact). So no, there isn't a big difference.
Apart from a sale they may otherwise loose out on, if someone has a PS4 and a PC.
It's on MS OS, hence still an MS exclusive if not an XB one.
MS still consider the PC as an MS platform.

TF for example, yes people will say oh it's on PC so I don't care, I can still play it without XB1. But how many people would've gone and bought an XB1 if it wasn't on PC?

I think if they give the console timed exclusive to PC, people who want to game on consoles would still game on there. (may change in future, with things like steam box, etc)

Not that I can't see the point in exclusives, especially in the first phase of a new consoles life.

Zampella's tweets are clear that the agreement with EA only covers the first Titanfall, that this was a recent development, and that Respawn intends to support the PS4 in the future. Also he confirms the title was originally only supposed to be exclusive at launch. Add to that rumors that work on the PS4 had recently started and it's pretty clear that the plan all along was to go multiplatform at a later date, that is until the recent announcement.
Yes they do intend to support the PS4 in the future, but that doesn't automatically mean TF.

I don't place too much stock in the rumors that the PS4 had already started development, I personally think they have enough work on their hands to deliver the platforms that they currently got in the time frames given much less starting another one. Not saying it wouldn't take them long to port the PC version once done though, but that's a different point.
So to me it's not as clear as it is to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure when sequal time comes around ms will open its wallet up.

A lot of people feel that 3rd party exclusives no longer make sense , but when you have a new franchise or even a sophomore one , the advertising benfits given by the console owner is a big deal.

Titan fall got a huge push from ms at e3 and then at every show after it , now they are featuring it as part of their launch comercials . That is a huge thing

it could be , would have to see how the deal works.

For Epic , MS was a huge factor in making gears the franchise that it is and with each game ms threw a lot of money into advertising for it.

Yea, I'm basically saying people have to be careful not to interpret things that aren't actually said.

I think it's normal not to talk about sequels before you even get the current one out.
To me at least that's all he was saying.
Unless there is already a 3 deal contract or something in place for it, but then I would expect MS to mention it soon enough.
We just don't know what platforms TF2 will be on yet.

I dunno , what other big games are coming out q1/2 for the xbox one ?

Early buyers will get ryse , dead rising , fozra and whatever else is at launch and then its pretty dry for both consoles. I guess watch dogs is now q2 ?

I dunno , what other big games are coming out q1/2 for the xbox one ?

Early buyers will get ryse , dead rising , fozra and whatever else is at launch and then its pretty dry for both consoles. I guess watch dogs is now q2 ?

Titan fall, Kinect Sports Rivals, Max: the curse of Brotherhood, Thief, Amazing Spiderman 2, Fantasia, Project Spark.

I believe Destiny is june

Watch dogs wont be out before april it seems

Thief is Feb ... not sure what the multiplayer is like , seems to be a single player type deal

MS doesn't benefit any more from releasing their exclusives on PC than Sony would (and would suffer about the same amount from the negative impact). So no, there isn't a big difference.

If Sony's exclusives was released on Windows it would still be a played on a Microsoft product, i don't know if there a license fees for Direct X, etc. But that is not really the issue, Sony would not have any reason to make any of Microsoft product more attractive in any way.

And Microsoft paying the big bucks for this game shows a few things, they haven't lost the touch completely with their core base, this is a FPS game after all, and it was featured heavily in the E3 coverage. Many gamers want this.

And they may be getting a bit shaky with how they think the XB1 would perform "on it's own" so they are buying their baby some much needed support, and who can blame them, it's one of their strengths.

If Sony's exclusives was released on Windows it would still be a played on a Microsoft product, i don't know if there a license fees for Direct X, etc. But that is not really the issue, Sony would not have any reason to make any of Microsoft product more attractive in any way.

And Microsoft paying the big bucks for this game shows a few things, they haven't lost the touch completely with their core base, this is a FPS game after all, and it was featured heavily in the E3 coverage. Many gamers want this.

And they may be getting a bit shaky with how they think the XB1 would perform "on it's own" so they are buying their baby some much needed support, and who can blame them, it's one of their strengths.

???

Considering Sony sells a lot of Windows devices, they would also potentially benefit from someone playing a Sony produced game on a Sony PC. Especially considering that Sony PC products generally have a higher margin than other OEMs as they try to cater to a more affluent crowd.

People like to paint Sony and Microsoft as some kind of huge rivalry where they'll do anything to not benefit the other, but that just isn't true at all. It's a business. They are partners in some things and competitors in other things.

Games on PC would benefit both Sony and Microsoft. Hell, if Sony really wanted to, they could tie the games to their hardware like publishers and video card makers used to do back in the 90's such that it wouldn't run on a non-Sony PC (until the pirate hackers got to it, that is). I'd imagine the internet would explode if that happened though. :p

Hell, there's a Sony games division that almost exclusively makes games for the PC, although that looks to be changing with the PS4 with more projects being ported to PS4.

Regards,
SB

MS seems to have a lot of faith in Titanfall...which is a good sign for the game :)

Given their track record over the last couple of months, and the 'quality' of decisions they have made, I wouldn't necessarily say it was a good sign!! More like the kiss of death ;):LOL:

Back