Time for a New Patriotism?

We Dont Need a "Movie Star" in Sacramento.
We Dont Need that "Texas JackAss" and his friends in the White House either!

Humus said:
Frankly, why should I feel more solidarity with the stranger within my country's border than the stranger outside?

Because someone from your country usually can understand issues you face. I don't understand hunger very well (although once I went for 14 days w/o eating). So it is hard to empathize with those who are starving.

IMO Terrorism is the combination of repressive gov't, poverty, and lack of education. What happens is that people are manipulated by others. The uneducated poor are cannon fodder, and the agendas of those who sit back are furthered. In a repressive society where you have no hope to change your status terrorism offers hope to change it and get revenge. Unlike peaceful protest which is generally more effective in the long run terrorism is mainly about using the hate the young clueless people have which makes them feel powerful and included even if it accomplishes nothing in the long run besides lowering the population of this soon to be overpopulated and barren rock we call home. Countries like Saudi Arabia would rather have malcontents blowing themselves up than protesting the lack of freedom they experience.

14 days? yeah id say you can empathize at least that much :oops: . I went without food for 3 days back in 85 and im hypo glycemic and almost went nuts...

Geez Sxotty, did you even read this thread? The poor are cannon fodder? Really? Then why are those who actually commit the terrorist acts, including suicide bombings, more educated and wealthy than the average (insert country they are from here)?

That's a myth that has been perpetuated by the media. Suicide bombers are not desperate, starving people. They are often college educated middle class people.

Thing is only a very small fraction of terrorists are suicide bombers... Its not a good way to estimate the cause of terrorism or those who join up in terror orgs. You could argue that it does take educated people to start up terror orgs. But if it was only a few discontents the terror orgs would likely remain extremely small and ineffective...

Back