Thunderbird extension "minimize to system tray" = HEAVEN!!!!

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
I love Thunderbird, but I hate it always running on my taskbar. I was going to start a thread asking if there was a way to minimize it to the system tray, but got unlaziful and googled it meself.

I found it too pretty easy, there is an extension made just for it and I just installed it and it works great.

I liked minimize to tray so much I had to post up and share it, hope someone else likes it too. :)

Outlook has this built in. :p

Seriously though I don't understand what people like about Thunderbird, it's very simple and lacks features, plus Outlook's junk mail filter is lightyears ahead. No, I've never been infected by a virus through it either as I know some of you are thinking.

ANova said:
Outlook has this built in. :p

Seriously though I don't understand what people like about Thunderbird, it's very simple and lacks features, plus Outlook's junk mail filter is lightyears ahead. No, I've never been infected by a virus through it either as I know some of you are thinking.
I cant speak for thunderbird as Im using Opera for my mails, but I heard they handle mails similar. The difference to Outlook is that there are no folders, but views - the same mail can be in multiple views. In the end, you have a sidebar (which is automatically keeping track of anything) and you could list known Email-adresses, then click one and see all mails to/from that adress instantly. The most usefull stuff is "recent discussion" were you click an Email-subject and see all corresponding Mails to all people who replied to that subject (kinda like a Thread in a forum).
Plus its way faster, plus its more secure, plus the mails can be easily backed-up, plus its already running when Im browsing ;)

I cant speak for thunderbird as Im using Opera for my mails
me too, though i used to use outlook. i still like outlook for calander/contacts ect, but i was never really excited about it's email handling. in fact, even when i used outlook i prefered express. but i'm lazy. and as soon as i figured out how to get opera to do what i wanted, i quite using outlook.

and on topic, you can minimize opera to the system tray as well.

Thunderbird doesn't rely on mshtml.dll. This alone seems like a pretty good reason to use it.

I still haven't tried Evolution on Linux, though.

I can't stand Outlook, it's just too ingrained in me head that it is the route cause of about 99.9% of all viri out there.

Thunderbird treats me proper, and now with this is my perfect little e-mail app. :cool:

Thunderbird's adaptive spam filter is one of the things I love about it, the damned thing gets much better with time. :)

ANova said:
Outlook's junk mail filter is lightyears ahead.

You gotta be kidding. I use both (Outlook at work and Thunderbird at home), and the Outlook junk filter is no match by far compared to the TB filter.

Oh - and Thunderbird at least doesn't make correct quoting (esp. over multiple levels) impossible. This regularily gives me headaches at work. Sad thing is: Outlook offers several options to quote - but none of them is really usable.

Snyder said:
You gotta be kidding. I use both (Outlook at work and Thunderbird at home), and the Outlook junk filter is no match by far compared to the TB filter.

Oh - and Thunderbird at least doesn't make correct quoting (esp. over multiple levels) impossible. This regularily gives me headaches at work. Sad thing is: Outlook offers several options to quote - but none of them is really usable.
Right now I have two email accounts set up, one in Outlook 2003 and one in Thunderbird, both from the same service provider. When I open outlook, it automatically places all the junk mail, with 95% accuracy, into the junk mail folder. Thunderbird places maybe 15% of it in its junk mail folder, and that account gets spammed to hell. The other day I got 70 messages, all of which ended up in my inbox and all of which was trash.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been getting 'tween 100-200 e-mails a day now on my EB account and 90%+ are spam, but T-bird does a wonderful job of keeping my inbox clean for me.

I'd say it gets better than 95% of the spam for me, and I've rarely had it block anything I didn't want blocked.

I rather miss an important e-mail (they'll call me if needed, or try again) and have all the spam removed than wade through all of it, just to make sure. I like the Thunderbird spam filter, but it's still much too conservative to my tastes.

I really have to build me a new Linux server and have spamassasin get rid of almost all of it again. But there's none I know that really does what I want.

And I really hate it when my domain is in the spam loop some times and I get a huge amount of returned mails or messages that "my" mail could not be delivered.

I'm in favor of serious punishments for repeat spammers. (Like, at least 2 years in jail, no way to buy it off or get out sooner.)

DiGuru said:
I rather miss an important e-mail (they'll call me if needed, or try again) and have all the spam removed than wade through all of it, just to make sure. I like the Thunderbird spam filter, but it's still much too conservative to my tastes.
Methinks you have taught it wrong. You could delete the training data, look for a 'pretrained' filter file, and lastly mark *all* your legitimate mail as 'not spam' (can be important for mailing lists and auto generated order confirmations and so on). For me Thunderbird have a more than 99% success rate for spam (I have used it on heavily infested accounts) and only once in a blue moon does it tag something that I'd want to keep.

Last edited by a moderator:
ANova said:
Thunderbird places maybe 15% of it in its junk mail folder, and that account gets spammed to hell. The other day I got 70 messages, all of which ended up in my inbox and all of which was trash.

Do you mark your spam as junk by pressing j or do you just delete it? For me it has probably > 99% success rate.
I do have another problem with Thunderbird that makes me consider switching though. It constantly has trouble connecting to the mail server. Like you open the app, then immediately a message pop up "the connection to the server pop has timed out". Sometimes I have to try 5 or 6 times before I get my mail downloaded. I find it odd that a connection can time out in a tiny fraction of a second.

digitalwanderer said:
I love Thunderbird, but I hate it always running on my taskbar. I was going to start a thread asking if there was a way to minimize it to the system tray, but got unlaziful and googled it meself.

I found it too pretty easy, there is an extension made just for it and I just installed it and it works great.

I liked minimize to tray so much I had to post up and share it, hope someone else likes it too. :)
I use this Extension probalbly since a year. First thing to do, when using a Mozilla Product, look for usefull extensions. :)
http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/

The spamfilter is really good, but I dont have to filter much, caus Yahoo sorts out pretty good before I even see the message. No Problems with the filter there also.

I would be using the opera at work now, instead of firefox and outlook, except the opera doesn't support LDAP ... What kind of crap is that? Really nice email client, but no LDAP support makes it useless to me. I use Thunderbird at home.

The only thing i like about Outlook is the "Task" organizer. Anyone know another task organizer that's a suitable replacement? If they add something like that to Thunderbird, then it's goodbye outlook for work.

digitalwanderer said:
Isn't there just an option in Thunderbird for that?

Yes, there is; I found it. It just wasn't where I thought it would be. There is an extension for managing multiple signatures on one account, which seems pretty handy.

Back