Thoughts on the new board...

I use Maxthon together with the plugin Plugin Manager. With plugin Manager, I can run custom scripts on specific pages/servers.

This is a simple example on how I can change the font in the whole forum.

document.createStyleSheet("javascript:'* { font-family: arial ! important; }'");

With this script set to autorun, it will change the font in the whole b3d forum. I can also do whatever else i want on pages... Make the post links not bold for instance, change font size, etc, etc... All specific to only the B3D forum.

If someone's interested, I'll be happy to help them set it up.

digitalwanderer said:
Anyone else notice a severe slowdown on the board since the software switch? Not a software slowdown, but people just not posting as much?

Is it because I haven't been online much this week, the new software not being so popular, or Neeyik putting on the iron glove for the RPS&C lounge? :|

i'll go with ...."we all miss ya Digi" ;)

but you cant expect that much traffic in the middle of summer, people are on hollidays and those that work, prolly have to work for those that are on hollidays, so neither can post...
give it a month and it will be back...;)

Patrick, I believe the formatting of that post is a form of trolling. :p

I can't find any "advanced view" under User CP > Edit Options, or any other link in the left-hand column. Do you mean the reply/message box? I don't see how that affects the page or forum.

Simon F said:
Oh gosh! I just spotted that this software has a threaded display mode! I've missed that feature from way back from "Dimension3D" days!
Thanks Dave!
And I'm glad the linear mode is still available. I don't even bother reading sites like Slashdot because I find the threaded modes so annoying.

Still need an ignore function , way to many trolls in the console forum that i much rather ignore

jvd said:
Still need an ignore function , way to many trolls in the console forum that i much rather ignore

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/profile.php?do=editlist

BTW, speaking of this, could you, please, remove the member's name in you sig, jvd?
The Console Forum is cooling off lately, let's forget about this troll-name calling stuff, if possible.
Just use the ignore function on Almasy, and leave it at that.;)

Vysez said:
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/profile.php?do=editlist

BTW, speaking of this, could you, please, remove the member's name in you sig, jvd?
The Console Forum is cooling off lately, let's forget about this troll-name calling stuff, if possible.
Just use the ignore function on Almasy, and leave it at that.;)

Thanks for showing me the ignore function however as per your request , I can't follow it . Actually the people on the list will be increased. After all they should know that I can't see thier posts

ninelven said:
Ever consider they can't see yours?
perhaps . But oh well. Others that can , can see why i'm not responding to thier posts .

If we could get rid of the trolls effectively on this forum there would be no need for sigs like mine or ignore functions .

I don't care if people use the ignore list, but posting them in a sig is just plain silly. Everytime I see one I think of a 12 year old.

3dcgi said:
I don't care if people use the ignore list, but posting them in a sig is just plain silly. Everytime I see one I think of a 12 year old.

you give them 10 too many :D

the terrible two's are what comes to my mind

Some start a little earlier and others a little later and the length they stay in the terrible twos varies as well.

Some signs that your toddler is in the terrible twos are temper tantrums, screaming for no reason, banging head on things and plain old not listening.

I have a couple problems with the new boards that I was wondering if it were possible to address:

1. Can we display mods names in the forums? One of the things I liked about the old forums was that it listed all the mods after the description of each forum. That way, you knew exactly who to talk to if something wasn't working. I could be wrong on this, but I have a feeling Dave will be recieving the bulk of the PM's that come in regarding forum issues, and that's going to make his life a bit more difficult.

2. The page-number thing: already mentioned extensively here, I just wanted to throw my two cents in there because I too find it annoying.

3. BBCode: a wysiwyg editor is fine and all, for people who want to use firefox and ie to browse the site. But personally, I think it isn't all that fun for those of us using Opera, and I can't stand using IE and Firefox for extended periods of time anymore, as I've just been spoiled by Opera's interface.

So, any chance on any of these? I want to like the new board, but my past experiences with vb have not been pleasant for precisely these reasons. Hopefully that's the result of lazy admins and not necessarily an inherant limit of the software.

Speaking of which, what exactly are the percieved superiorities of vb over phpbb? I've gathered the wysiwyg editor is one, and the ignore feature is another, but what else? It certainly doesn't feel any faster to me, and in fact on most slower computers vb is noticeably slower. Any help that could be thrown my way on the matter would be appreciated.

Clashman said:
BBCode: a wysiwyg editor is fine and all, for people who want to use firefox and ie to browse the site. But personally, I think it isn't all that fun for those of us using Opera, and I can't stand using IE and Firefox for extended periods of time anymore, as I've just been spoiled by Opera's interface.
You can change the message editor interface to your own personal liking in the control panel's 'Edit Options' menu. It's at the bottom of the page. The middle option is much like the one in PhpBB, and the lowest option is just a text box. You can write BBCode manually in both of these.

Thanks for that.

One other question I have is whether or not it is possible to more completely integrate the forum into the website, or vice-versa. One of the nice things about phpbb is that it has been adapted to be able to fit into many different Content Management Systems, which allows you to, in addition to posting on the forum, submit articles/links/events/news stories/etc. Perhaps that's not a direction B3D wants to go, but it's worth considering if that's in the cards long term.

(as an example, you can take a look at my (as yet unfinished) site for foreigners in Tianjin, www.TianjinExpats.com. Users can have one user account which they can use for the forum, calendar, article submission, comments, photo-uploads, and the like).

Back