Things that I need to know before I buy PSP ?

NonNative

Newcomer
Well I'm going to japan next week and planed to buy a PSP there.

Anything I need to know before I buy one ? :)
Please enlight me.

Edit : What's advantage of PSP slim overed a PSP ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I'm going to japan next week and planed to buy a PSP there.

Anything I need to know before I buy one ? :)
Please enlight me.

Ehm. Not that much really. :D Except that you can do an aweful lot with the thing, so it pays to think about what you want to do with it. For instance, a big memory card is going to make it a lot more interesting, if you think about putting PS1 games, movies or other such stuff on it. If you like podcasts be pleased to know you can really easily subscribe to them using the PSP's browser, clicking on an XML podcast link, and have it automatically added under RSS. Then you can download your episodes from there to your memory stick (better than streaming imho, because you can more easily forward/backward, etc.). I do this with the 1up yours show every week for instance. It's even more convenient than using a PC.

There are a pile of great games depending on your interest. Tell us if you need to know anything about that.

Games are region free, as you know, but UMDs are not. So that's something to look out for if you think you might be using them (I like them, but I don't use them a lot and they aren't that popular). Regions are the same as DVD I think, so Japan and Europe are the same region afair.

You can customise a lot of stuff and settings, and recently even create your own themes online. Essential settings for me were not auto-starting discs you insert or when you power up, and disabling the bumpers for next/previous while playing mp3s can be a useful setting, especially when listening to long podcasts. They're easily bumped accidentally and although searching at 120fps makes it a little less aggrevating these days (thank god for that) it can still take some time to get back to where you were.

Some of these screen protectors can be quite nice too by the way (not essential). Screen doesn't easily damage, but it is possible, and otherwise the PSP can do without a pouch very well (I stopped using one a long time ago).

As for the rest, just ask here and we'll answer.

Advantages of the slim:

- thinner and lighter obviously (it does matter, when you play lying on your back for instance, the old PSP was too heavy to be comfortable)
- better buttons (I think i read that anyway)
- potential for longer battery life (a smaller battery inside gives the same life, but you can still insert a normal size battery, and that gives you double the playtime of a regular PSP)
- video out to a progressive scan capable display device (640x480)
- can recharge using regular USB cable charging

I'd definitely go for the Slim, though if you don't care, this is a good time for getting a second hand PSP, as there are a fair number of people trading in their old PSPs for the new slim one.

Thanks you for rapid reply. :)

I have more questiones

1.Any possible chance that there will be TV tuner add-ons ? (I want turn PSP into media station portable :p)
2.Can I used it connect to PC ? If yes how ?
3.What video formats that PSP can play ?
4.Can I load game into memory card ?
5.PSP Memory = same as in digital camera one ?
6.Any recommended title ? :D
7.Charging your battery and play game in same time possible ?

Thanks you for reply again.

I have more questiones

Why not go through the online psp manual. Most of your questions are answered there.

and some answers too
1) Not likely that there will be tuner. But you could use the ps3 connectivity(remote play) to stream tv. From pc you can only download video files currently
2) wlan/usb
3) See the online manual
4) Some yes, transfer from umd not possible without hacked firmware
5) see online manual
6) my favourites lumines, locoroco, gta vice city stories, metal gear solid portable ops. Killzone is highly regarded but I didn't like it at all.
7) it is possible and you also get option to use brighter display setting when connected to ac

Last edited by a moderator:

I have more questiones

1.Any possible chance that there will be TV tuner add-ons ? (I want turn PSP into media station portable :p)
2.Can I used it connect to PC ? If yes how ?
3.What video formats that PSP can play ?
4.Can I load game into memory card ?
5.PSP Memory = same as in digital camera one ?
6.Any recommended title ? :D
7.Charging your battery and play game in same time possible ?

Thanks you for reply again.

Questions are already answered, but I'm going to do that also. :p

1. There is a chance and there has been talk but right now there don't seem to be any. As said, you can remote stream your PS3 if you have one, and you can even access the whole DNLA section on the PS3 through the PSP. Quite cool. Also, the RSS section supports video, but currently I don't think it streams video yet. That could change in the future though. The main issue is that they don't have unlimited flash space, so they can't support everything in Firmware - TV Tuner support would probably have to come through an application you install on the memory card. That said, I would look for it once the PS3 Tuner capabilities become mainstream in 2008.

2. You can simply connect to your PSP using a standard USB 2.0 cable connection. It's easy, your PSP will show up as a USB drive. There will be folders like Video, Game, Picture, and Music, in which you can copy to and from any files you like. You can also download files from websites, so that allows you some additional options. The browser also has limited Flash capability (v7 I think).

3. Quite a few. Most important ones are the popular MP4 and MP4 AVC variants, but MPG works as well. The only problems you can have are with the size. Ideally, you want them to be formatted to 480x272 or something like that. Smaller works too, as the PSP can scale smaller videos to full-screen very well. This is also efficient in terms of used space on memory card. Stuff like 320x240 still looks really good.

4. Not games, typically though some games use it in clever ways if available. For instance if you do gamesharing in Tekken PSP, then the characters you play on the guest PSP can be saved to memory stick. Also there are a lot of downloadable demos of games you can install on your Memory Card and play from there (lot of demos are actually quite good in their own right, Loco Roco being a great example, but also MotoGP, Killzone, and several other titles). You can also install and play PS1 download games from your PS3 onto your PSP if you have a PS3.

5. Yes, the Memory Stick Pro Duo cards.

6. Lots, but it really depends on your taste. There is a lot of stuff available these days. My personal favorites and recommendations are Tekken, Lumines 2, LocoRoco (try the demo), PES6, Wipeout (wait for Pulse though!), Ridge Racers, MGS:pO, Burnout (I have Legends but get Dominator), etc. etc. etc. ;) Too many cool games. Don't by too many, because they all have a lot of depth comparable or sometimes exceeding full console games!

7. Yes. The only thing not possible is charging and playing online (at least not on the original PSP, but I assume also not on the slim & lite). And as mentioned, you get an additional brightness level when you're plugged in.

Thanks you for url and asnwer manux. ;)

I've read the online manual and noticed about PSP-2000 series,Do PSP Slim counted in this or better ?

PSP-2000 is the Slim, I'm fairly sure. The original one is PSP-1000.

I feel the need to plug the silver PSP-2000 again. :LOL:

It's super sweet. You should definitely check it out before you buy any other color.

Also, merely the USB charging option of the 2000 version makes it worth getting overthe old 1000 version IMO nevermind the other improvements.

Not sure if it's been mentioned before but the 2000 version contains more on-board flash memory as well, thus possibly allowing more future features to be added in firmware updates.

Peace.

Anyway any exclusive device or add-ons that I can buy from japan ? :p (excepted that TV seg-1 that can used only in japan lol)

btw. I thinking to get a harvest moon. :)

Anyway any exclusive device or add-ons that I can buy from japan ? :p (excepted that TV seg-1 that can used only in japan lol)

btw. I thinking to get a harvest moon. :)

The camera and GPS device aren't available in North America yet (not sure about SCEE territories, though).

Back