The Tomorrow Children

Wait, when exactly did this launch?
How is it that no one on B3D knew, and gave feedback on it, especially the visuals?
I was definitely expecting a DF breakdown of it.
It's covered in this thread. We have Beta views, then mention it's F2P launching in three weeks. It was one I always intended to look at but never got around to. Globalisateur's Beta experiences are what I'd have hoped for. They needed to evolve the game rapidly once people started. However, it has that Sony mark of abandonment - they seem very quick to drop things rather than persevere and develop potential.

It's covered in this thread. We have Beta views, then mention it's F2P launching in three weeks. It was one I always intended to look at but never got around to. Globalisateur's Beta experiences are what I'd have hoped for. They needed to evolve the game rapidly once people started. However, it has that Sony mark of abandonment - they seem very quick to drop things rather than persevere and develop potential.
It was just me then, guess I was just expecting to hear about it in general.
Lots of times I don't check individual threads until it's mentioned in other threads or in outside world (especially for games that expect big fanfair over) then I come and check out the threads.

Pretty sure I remember reading GDC presentation on it, I thought that was prior to release, but maybe it was after it then. Has there been any other tech analysis done on it?

No, it really fizzled out. It's not a high-impact game so wouldn't garner significant attention. It was one of those games that needed to grow organically, which is where Q-Games shot themselves in the foot. What they should have done probably is have bots supporting noobs. Maybe they hoped players would encourage their friends to join to make up the missing numbers?

@Globalisateur - you should download the game and compare it to the Beta. I found performance was good, and the time to do stuff like pick up an object is far lower than the 2-4 seconds you were quoting (maybe that's because there's no-one on the servers? :p).

Besides the tech I had now knowledge of the game at all, and I didn't know it was released either... ^^

No, it really fizzled out. It's not a high-impact game so wouldn't garner significant attention. It was one of those games that needed to grow organically, which is where Q-Games shot themselves in the foot. What they should have done probably is have bots supporting noobs. Maybe they hoped players would encourage their friends to join to make up the missing numbers?

@Globalisateur - you should download the game and compare it to the Beta. I found performance was good, and the time to do stuff like pick up an object is far lower than the 2-4 seconds you were quoting (maybe that's because there's no-one on the servers? :p).
Lag was already reduced in the end of my experience so it doesn't surprise they improved things (also framerate). I also had a bad Internet access back then.

Unfortunately I still didn't buy a Pro since I sold my fat PS4. No PS4 at home currently. Just bought a house...

I played a bit more to see if I could harvest a decent number of Freeman dollars, and hit another unfortunate design fault as a result of the F2P implementation - I was useless! The town was a lot busier with some senior players, I guess revisiting the game to get their last monies' worth before closure, and I was utterly pointless. I couldn't harvest anything without another faster, better player rushing in ahead of me. I could just about trundle to an island to try some mining with my hard-bought pick-axes, but the place had been cleared out by the veterans. I had a go with one of the cannons to see if I could kill a monster, and succeeded, but made a mistake in the controls trying to exit (wrong button, no indicator of correct button) and accidentally shot my own building, at which point I was imprisoned and got negative votes from the other players.

I had a brief moment between starting and giving up where I cared about my town and wanted to invest in making it flourish, but returning to find everyone else had made it wonderful without me, I'll leave the Tomorrow Children in the care of others and go shoot some Storm Troopers/Rebel Scum on my downtime.

Last edited:
Very cool, but it needs work. If it was that popular, Sony wouldn't have shelved it after a year. Not really sure how to address the faults though.

Very cool, but it needs work. If it was that popular, Sony wouldn't have shelved it after a year. Not really sure how to address the faults though.

Seems like it had a cult following and now Q-Games have the opportunity to improve it. Looks like Dylan believes in it though.

What's a 'cult following'? This thread loves the tech showcase and barely even recognises a game existed or even launched! There were so many issues in accessibility, it really was a technical showcase with a rudimentary sort of interactive game-like experience hanging off it. The aesthetic and pacing are definitely unique and therefore will attract some people who are utterly enamoured, but I don't think the thing as it released, in free to play model!!, attracted anything like enough engaged users to be a viable game.

Rolling it out again without significant changes would just hit the same problems and lack of players.

Edit: At the bottom of that press release:

I am now tweaking and re-working parts of the game every week, and I hope everyone follows along and gets involved in this process. We plan to make quite a few changes for the better, and give The Tomorrow Children the re-launch it deserves!

Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
Which actually ties in more with wanting to improve it than not. If they were just wanting to push it out the door as is, it'd flop again against a gamerbase scratching its head wondering what the heck it is they are 'playing'. The intention to relaunch must include intentions to tighten the gameplay loop and cooperative aspects.

What's a 'cult following'?

A small, but very passionate fan base?
Personally i did not find it very fun, but I like the "fairytale story" of the developer buying the IP and tries again.

Hopefully the game will be sustainable/profitable for Q-Games.

AN interesting exchance between Matt Hargett and Dylan from Q-games from this thread.
0a9RupZ.png

Back