The Technology of GTA IV/RDR *Rage Engine*

We are not in neogaf here...based on what you said that? Because you have the game are you more reliable? The screens in the net not showing texture so massive incredible in RDR in terms of resolution. I am talking only of technic, I am not judging the overall graphic.

Because i got the game im more realiable?Yea,i would think so.And how are FC2 textures so good?Anyway,im not here to argue but you surely did say that its textures are "absolutely not" on FC2 level,while I have played both and FC2 is not on RDR level as far as details and textures are concerned,even the sheer scope of RDR is quite a lot bigger then FC2.And to be honest,shoots look quite worse then when you actually play the game.

The PC version of GTA4 makes very heavy use of multiple threads, so yes I'd imagine so.

So, how does that make the graphics pipeline multi-threaded? On the PC, it's far more likely that the threads/cores are being used for the physics calculations. Physics engines like Havok support multi-threading. Also on the PS3 by the way, so at the very least some SPE work will be going on there as Havok is pretty well optimised for PS3 these days.

Maybe the 75 million MS gave has something to do with it? I just don't see how this game can be that low from a top dev when JC2 is real open world where you can go miles high.

We are not in neogaf here...

I kinda doubt that. We've gotten to the point where RDR isn't impressive looking in any way, doesn't use all available memory, and Rockstar's a lazy dev who couldn't optimize their way out of even a single core, or a C64.

Thread's getting ridiculous.

I kinda doubt that. We've gotten to the point where RDR isn't impressive looking in any way, doesn't use all available memory, and Rockstar's a lazy dev who couldn't optimize their way out of even a single core, or a C64.

If the game supports custom music, then based on the requirements we know, they need to reserve an extra few Mb for it. So it is a logical conclusion that the game doesn't use up all memory for itself.

Maybe the 75 million MS gave has something to do with it? I just don't see how this game can be that low from a top dev when JC2 is real open world where you can go miles high.

I was thinking GPU or possible SPE utilization but I'll keep an open mind that Microsoft likes to waste money like that.

I'm trying only to understand what's gone wrong with Rage engine and ps3 hardware with reliable source :???: why everything goes 'wrong' on the ps3 porting is ever causing for the ps3 hardware in a game & try to substain it's not a matter, irritate so many people? There are a lot of game which prove the contrary, why to continue to substain this point everytime in the multi comparison & for a single game? I never understand this behaviour.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a lot of game which prove the contrary, why continuing to substain this point everytime in the multi comparison? I never understand this behaviour.

what open world games have proved the contrary. even Infamous was set up to take advantage of PS3 strengths and mitigate weaknesses just as all exclusive titles would/should. every showcase on PS3 is a linear game. this and GTA are a different beast and are able to be compared with a multi-platform, so, different needs.

what open world games have proved the contrary. even Infamous was set up to take advantage of PS3 strengths and mitigate weaknesses just as all exclusive titles would/should. every showcase on PS3 is a linear game. this and GTA are a different beast so different needs.

Just cause 2? Assassin's creed series? Far cry 2? Fallout 3? Oblivion? So the next Rage & Crysis will be subhd on the ps3? Now the free roaming are becomes a terrible beast for an hardware which similar power with only lack of edram compared to 360 but with a standard hdd & more core based? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

It would be a real eye opening to see a really in-depth technical overview of this game on both platforms by Rockstar. Unfortunately I don't think it'll ever happen because of the backlash they'll receive if they say anything negative about either platform. Being a high profile game has its drawbacks, I guess.

I'd have a hard time believing they aren't pushing both platforms very hard, but whether they're doing things optimally for one of the two, or even either platform, is up in the air. They are definitely using more CPU power for things like physics and other simulation aspects of the game then you'd see in most titles. Most games seem to throw most of their resources at the graphics problem, and everything else is an afterthought. Despite being a fantastic looking game (and I think that applied to GTA4 as well), rockstar seemed to be pushing the open world simulation much further than anyone else. It would be nice to get more insight into that aspect of the game. A huge walkthrough of the physics alone would be great. I've only found the tidbits in their developer vids.

On the other hand, why are we expecting technical wizardry from a dev that just isn't known for it? 3d GTA games have always been technically uneven.

And this isn't even a knock against them per se, their games have other qualities.

It would be a real eye opening to see a really in-depth technical overview of this game on both platforms by Rockstar. Unfortunately I don't think it'll ever happen because of the backlash they'll receive if they say anything negative about either platform. Being a high profile game has its drawbacks, I guess.

I'd have a hard time believing they aren't pushing both platforms very hard, but whether they're doing things optimally for one of the two, or even either platform, is up in the air. They are definitely using more CPU power for things like physics and other simulation aspects of the game then you'd see in most titles. Most games seem to throw most of their resources at the graphics problem, and everything else is an afterthought. Despite being a fantastic looking game (and I think that applied to GTA4 as well), rockstar seemed to be pushing the open world simulation much further than anyone else. It would be nice to get more insight into that aspect of the game. A huge walkthrough of the physics alone would be great. I've only found the tidbits in their developer vids.

I agree on that,and i definitely think they push both platforms quite enough.There is probably more that they could get with ps3 with maybe better optimization but it seems that RDR and back then,a little un polished GTA IV do much more then your regular multiplats.From physics to animations,graphics and scope they really really pushed it further then other multiplatform games,even some exclusives(InFamous comes to mind).

Maybe RAGE does not go well hand in hand with ps3,maybe they dont really use spus much(even if thats hard to believe) but i certainly would not call them lazy.

The more interesting question is what can they do if they were to work on a PS3 exclusive game. One is scheduled but according to Sony, R* has not gotten around to work on it yet. -_-

Now the free roaming are becomes a terrible beast for an hardware which similar power with only lack of edram compared to 360 but with a standard hdd & more core based? :rolleyes:

less system RAM? (used for other resources) and perhaps Xenos or architecture in general makes a greater difference?

I don't know exactly why (as some here do know) but it certainly is not developer failure or both systems would run identically

On the other hand, why are we expecting technical wizardry from a dev that just isn't known for it? 3d GTA games have always been technically uneven.

And this isn't even a knock against them per se, their games have other qualities.

Hmm...didnt other GTA games used other engine and were developed by R* North.R* San Diego made RAGE engine,from what Im seeing now,while playing 360 version of RDR i would say they are quite a techy guys :)

Is that even true? I thought GTA 3 was supposed to be a landmark game in terms of graphics and simulation for open world games? GTA4 is still one of the better open world games this gen, if not the best in terms of diversity and simulation/physics for creating a breathing world.

Nah... I know of an open world game that is better than GTA4 on the PS3 (easily).

I remember I was hyped up to see the 10/10 (graphics) GTA4 game that night. It was a let down after that, both graphics and gameplay. Looks good, but I wouldn't say it's a perfect 10 game.

EDIT: In fact, after I remember this, I have decided to wait a few days to see what R* has delivered. No more day 1 for me for RDR, just to be on the safe side.

Hmm...didnt other GTA games used other engine and were developed by R* North.R* San Diego made RAGE engine,from what Im seeing now,while playing 360 version of RDR i would say they are quite a techy guys :)

GTA4 used an early iteration of the same engine, if my understanding is correct.

Back