The Technology of GTA IV/RDR *Rage Engine*

It's just my supposition...talking of bayonetta, the question is bad porting here...even with low buffer & low texture can't substain 30 fps...to me it's only a bad works...I have seen a lot of game of SEGA on the ps3 & it's pretty terrible imho with this hardware in different occasions (I have in mind the yakuza series, graphically a disaster to me, not AA and not upscale to 1080p with 1024x768p of res? 720p it's a blurry mess...)

What do you mean exactly? Yakuza 3 upscales to 1080p if you remove the 720p output.

Car windows, smoke/particles in uncontrolled situations, vegetation.

I've seen nothing too excessive that would suggest that transparencies are really going to make this chug on PS3. Certainly no more than a game like Infamous.

I've seen nothing too excessive that would suggest that transparencies are really going to make this chug on PS3. Certainly no more than a game like Infamous.
Infamous not have car reflections, windows reflections in real times & use a pretty low buffer for the explotion...GTA 4 is full of those effects some even in high buffers ... there are a lots...

Yakuza has 720p setting how standard in the xbml ... I haven't try to remove 720p but result pretty blurry...

Y3 has some additional post processing implemented in a weird way. Some environmental objects made look blurry (ground etc.) but once you switch to first person view, they look sharp, centered like an eye. For the record, the series is done internally but Bayonetta wasn't actually ported by Sega but by Nex Entertainment (formerly Nextech Corporation who handles games for Namco, Capcom and others).

http://www.nex-ent.co.jp/Product.html

Who knows what the case is with the RAGE engine, but I'm not sure if I'd blame the fill rate factor yet again. Seems like a popular reason to speculate.

Y3 has some additional post processing implemented in a weird way. Some environmental objects made look blurry (ground etc.) but once you switch to first person view, they look sharp, centered like an eye. For the record, the series is done internally but Bayonetta wasn't actually ported by Sega but by Nex Entertainment (formerly Nextech Corporation who handles games for Namco, Capcom and others).

http://www.nex-ent.co.jp/Product.html

Who knows what the case is with the RAGE engine, but I'm not sure if I'd blame the fill rate factor yet again. Seems like a popular reason to speculate.

Sure, I don't know how works the code...

Just noticed this....

Originally Posted by joker454
Wow, this thread is very eye opening. I'm amazed that after doing a/b comparisons on their own tv's that people prefer the look of the PS3 version. I always felt that resolution was overrated for this generation in reference to 1080p. But with threads like this, I can't help but wonder if even 720p is needed at all. Clearly, resolution and sharpness are totally moot given how many prefer the look of the PS3 version.

So, are we wasting our time with 1280x720? Maybe we should just render at 960x540 and upscale with numerous post processing passes?

Dude, you're busted - you've been working on Alan Wake this whole time!!!

Sorry about the OT ;)

LOL :LOL:

Too bad I missed all of this talk before the mods swept in - it's quite hilarious seeing as just how much stick Alan Wake got only a week or two ago for being 540p.

IIRC GTA4 on the PC got a full CPU core dedicated to Euphoria. Is one of the Xenon's cores dedicated to this in GTA4 and RDR? And what about the Cell BE, 2 SPEs probably?

Dude, you're busted - you've been working on Alan Wake this whole time!!!

Haha, forgot about that one! Yes it's true my real name is Alan Wake, yeah that's it :) I still do think that a game would look much better if it ran at 960x540 when dealing with typical 42" screens, but that's just me. Like when I run PC games at home, my tv is 1080p but I'll drop the res of a game to 1280x720 if it means I can enable all graphical features, and I let the gpu hardware scale it up. I did that with the Just Cause 2 demo, to me it looks better at 720p with all features enabled compared to a paired down 1080p.

Infamous not have car reflections, windows reflections in real times & use a pretty low buffer for the explotion...GTA 4 is full of those effects some even in high buffers ... there are a lots...

But does RDR? Aside from (a2c still?) foliage, gunfire and setpiece explosions, which don't seem too out of the ordinary, what would make RDR so transparency intensive? Infamous still seems to me like a game that is very and more unpredictable transparency wise; all your powers are transparent, and range from small to screen covering effects, which have varying effects on the environment, and can cause large explosions and full res bouncing sparks, bloom and then additional light sources...

I really don't think the alpha argument is valid with RDR.

Though on another note, Midnight Club LA was using Rage engine, and was 960x720 on PS3. Perhaps 540p isn't too far fetched :(

I think the foliage in RDR are not A2C, I didn't noticed any artifacting. They are also doing volumetric lighting for sunlight & lamps at night time but I don't think it should make much difference.

And yes I agree in that Infamous is very unpredictable transparency wise, lot of time the screen is covered with multiple transparency effects.

Infamous benefits a lot from occlusion culling with the way the city was built, thus "allowing" for all those transparency effects.

We shouldn't just throw out lighting & pixel shading because you all have absolutely no idea what they are doing.

I think the foliage in RDR are not A2C, I didn't noticed any artifacting.

This screen says otherwise: http://images.gamersyde.com/image_red_dead_redemption-12822-1780_0013.jpg

GTA4 used A2C for a lot of transparencies...that should considerably lower the fillrate

A2C is simply an attempt to make use of MSAA with alpha textures to simulate alpha blend; you also avoid a costly back-to-front sorting of such objects. You're not saving fillrate really.

But does RDR? Aside from (a2c still?) foliage, gunfire and setpiece explosions, which don't seem too out of the ordinary, what would make RDR so transparency intensive? Infamous still seems to me like a game that is very and more unpredictable transparency wise; all your powers are transparent, and range from small to screen covering effects, which have varying effects on the environment, and can cause large explosions and full res bouncing sparks, bloom and then additional light sources...

Though on another note, Midnight Club LA was using Rage engine, and was 960x720 on PS3. Perhaps 540p isn't too far fetched :(
Nah I really exclude 540p from the video.

GTAIV has tons of coronas, lightsources, bouncing sparks (full world static + dynamic objects), pretty dense explosion/particle effects, soft particles, bloom and more. Now for a wild western game I could think they would add environmental dust cloud effect which aint cheap and perhaps distant heathaze effect.

How will gun fights affect scene? Wil lthere be smoke build ups like says Crysis when the firefight is on making scene 'hazy' due to arms smoke and dust thrown up?

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha, forgot about that one! Yes it's true my real name is Alan Wake, yeah that's it :) I still do think that a game would look much better if it ran at 960x540 when dealing with typical 42" screens, but that's just me. Like when I run PC games at home, my tv is 1080p but I'll drop the res of a game to 1280x720 if it means I can enable all graphical features, and I let the gpu hardware scale it up. I did that with the Just Cause 2 demo, to me it looks better at 720p with all features enabled compared to a paired down 1080p.

But there is a threshold as to how low you can go before it gets to "messy". Even if it means more detail it wont really come to its rights.

Don't waste your time, the kool aid is just too strong. Sometimes I wish I had permission to post verbatim what people from NVidia and certain Sony first parties have told me first hand as to what they *really* think of the PS3 hardware compared to the competition, it would end all this conspiracy nonsense for once and for all.

You... do you realize the power that is in your hands?

You could change the history of the internets forever.

Just remember, there are some things worthy of one's sacrifice. :LOL:

Has anyone actually confirmed improvements to the engine?

AlStrong just called 640 vertical for one of the PS3 shots, so it's probably the same resolution as GTA4. 360 res also seems to be the same, down to the amount of AA.

So... do we know anything has actually been improved in the graphics engine, or are people just speculating because the PS3's resolution might've been lower than GTA4's?

Back