The Technology of GTA IV/RDR *Rage Engine*

less system RAM? (used for other resources) and perhaps Xenos or architecture in general makes a greater difference?

I don't know exactly why (as some here do know) but it certainly is not developer failure or both systems would run identically
Lead hardware make the difference, I never talking of developer failure however. I just to interest to know the possible reasons, not how console is better.

Is that even true? I thought GTA 3 was supposed to be a landmark game in terms of graphics and simulation for open world games? GTA4 is still one of the better open world games this gen, if not the best in terms of diversity and simulation/physics for creating a breathing world.

It may have been a landmark game, but it was never particularly attractive and it has framerate issues. The genre was so new that a game like it even EXISTING on console made it a landmark. And to be fair, I'm not sure if any other open-world engines were better tha GTA3's -- but that doesn't change the charming 'jank' that actually became part of the open-world genre.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lead hardware make the difference, I never talking of developer failure however. I just to interest to know the possible reasons, not how console is better.

Wasnt RDR started on ps3 as its exclusive?I doubt its a quicky port like FF13 and Bayonetta...

Hmm...didnt other GTA games used other engine and were developed by R* North.R* San Diego made RAGE engine,from what Im seeing now,while playing 360 version of RDR i would say they are quite a techy guys :)

Which would make RDR on the 360 an exception. GTA4 even on the 360 was better than the PS3 version by a longshot, but it wasn't the most stable experience -- and there was an actual texturing bug that only got fixed in the DLC (if it was even fixed at all).

allegedly PS3 version was developed synchronously with 360 version. not as a port...

and here is some earlier posted info on this engine.

more info regarding this Rage engine

Quote:
Technology
While GTA IV was hailed as a crowning achievement in technology for the open-world genre with its expansive and detailed world, physics system and Euphoria, the game engine Rockstar North used was actually developed by Rockstar San Diego. The RAGE engine was originally built for Red Dead Redemption (and was shown off in tech-demo form at E3 in 2005), but has since found itself as the company's staple development architecture; evolving as needed to cater for anything being built within the collective Rockstar studios' walls. What this means, however, is that while the engine is available to everyone within Rockstar, the team who know it best are clearly the guys who built it. And all the while it was being tweaked and moulded to bring us GTA IV, San Diego were in development with Red Dead Redemption; learning from mistakes or shortcomings essentially tested with GTA IV. This shows in the final result; the game is very, very quick to load (so no annoying GTA IV pre-load art screens), and the game-world seamlessly renders in incredible scope. The only time you're really facing any lengthy loads is if you fast travel to different areas, otherwise it's all-immersive, never once pulling you out of suspended disbelief and your overall experience.

Wasnt RDR started on ps3 as its exclusive?I doubt its a quicky port like FF13 and Bayonetta...
I doubt it. I don't say it's a quickly port. Simply has been developed keep in mind the 360 hardware with GTA 4 & then the ps3 developing is started.

I doubt it. I don't say it's a quickly port. Simply has been developed keep in mind the 360 hardware with GTA 4 & then the ps3 developing is started.
I dont understand that since it was started as ps3 exclusive,announced 2005.Then it became multiplat around 2008 i think.

It may have been a landmark game, but it was never particularly attractive and it has framerate issues. Realize, before it there had been very little like it, it took a lot less to be landmark.

I don't think I understand. It was better than everything that came before it, by a significant margin. Sure, the bar was low, but they raised it and set a standard.

I just have a problem with people saying Rockstar doesn't have great technical mindshare. The complexity involved in GTA4 or RDR, in my mind, would be monumental. There's so much more going on than just the visuals.

I dont understand that since it was started as ps3 exclusive,announced 2005.Then it became multiplat around 2008 i think.

In 2005, I doubt they could get far in PS3 development. PS3 launched in 2006 with limited tool set and features.

Hmm...didnt other GTA games used other engine and were developed by R* North.R* San Diego made RAGE engine,from what Im seeing now,while playing 360 version of RDR i would say they are quite a techy guys :)

Formerly Angel Studios :smile:

Anyway, we're going back and forth without getting any real insight. It's not a secret that MS has been more involved with third parties than Sony, even with Japanese developers (Capcom did improve theirs gradually through various revisions..5 I think and LP2 is fairly close on both platforms). Is it really surprising that their engines run better on the 360?

There is obviously some ways around hurdles, but we really don't know why there is a performance discrepancy this time after 2 years. Perhaps it is as simple as Assurdum speculated with the heavy use of eDRAM.

In 2005, I doubt they could get far in PS3 development. PS3 launched in 2006 with limited tool set and features.
Im not saying they did,im saying they started then as ps3 exclusive.And to be honest,some games like Mirrors Edge,Dantes Inferno...were MUCH less in development,were ported to ps3 and were pretty much on par,but i dont think we can call R* lazy or not techy because they delivered sub hd games on ps3,albeit they were best looking open world games when they came out(GTA IV now RDR).Maybe memory is problem,maybe RSX,maybe they did not use spus and never learned to use it despite making 4 games on ps3,maybe RAGE does not suit ps3 maybe...but fact remains,their games are quite something else in terms of requirements then other multiplats...

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree. GTA4 has an incredibly complex ecosystem for a videogame.

Those ecosystem are AI and physics stuff, should be a piece of cake for the SPUs.

inFamous city is full of people too.

Im not saying they did,im saying they started then as ps3 exclusive.And to be honest,some games like Mirrors Edge,Dantes Inferno...were MUCH less in development,were ported to ps3 and were pretty much on par,but i dont think we can call R* lazy or not techy because they delivered sub hd games on ps3,albeit they were best looking open world games when they came out(GTA IV now RDR).Maybe memory is problem,maybe RSX,maybe they did not use spus and never learned to use it despite making 4 games on ps3,maybe RAGE does not suit ps3 maybe...but fact remains,their games are quite something else in terms of requirements then other multiplats...

Perhaps because their needs are "quite something else in terms of requirements" that the implementations need to be even more err... different ?

Back