The Technology of GTA IV/RDR *Rage Engine*

I think the dithering stands out in the shadows, flickering or not. I've put several hours in both versions now and the dithered shadows are the first thing that jump out at you when going from the PS3 to the 360 version.

I think both versions have pros and cons, you can't go wrong with either, but it's too bad you can't take the best from both to make the ultimate version.

PS. First time post, long time reader.

I am hoping that for the PC version (well not hoping, more like it will but I am hoping for more on top of that!). Though how are the games after the patches regarding shadows?

Last edited by a moderator:
You can't "imagine" that having dithering + shadow artifacting put together = pronounced effect?

Shadow problems are more disturbing to me at very close range where there's no texture dithering at all; and at very high distance (flying in helicopter) where there isn't much texture detail left. Your mileage may vary of course...

erm, why would faulty netcode produce hard-locks during SP gameplay? some sort of authenticity check?

No, I think Rockstar is slurping data to gather statistics on what people are doing. That is the theory I think. Before the patch a work-around was to sign out of the PSN.

The patch "prevents Gamespy's servers from being overloaded and therefore reduces the impact on those servers that were causing the game to stutter and lock up," said Rockstar in a statement. "We continue to monitor the performance of the game both on and offline and will provide further updates as necessary. We want to assure everyone that, together with our hardware partners, we continue to strive to give our fans the best possible interactive entertainment experiences possible. This update will ensure that everyone will experience Grand Theft Auto IV the way it was intended. We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused."

http://www.gamedaily.com/games/gran...rockstar-issues-ps3-patch-for-gta-iv-lockups-

I haven't noticed the blur taken out in the latest update to the ps3. You can still see it walking in and out of buildings or hailing a cab and then breaking the window.

I do notice the jaggies more now that I've had some time with the 360 version... damnit. I'm pretty sure it's not because of the blur taken out. If this update did make any difference it definitely is super subtle.

erm, why would faulty netcode produce hard-locks during SP gameplay? some sort of authenticity check?

According to Sony, 2.35 was NOT the patch that was meant to fix the GTA bugs. I'm not really sure why a firmware update would change GTA's graphics, but not other games.

To clear up confusion:

Sony Firmware update 2.35 - apparently to improve stability of some games, according to Sony nothing to do with GTA IV, have suspicions if you are so inclined since which games this affected were not specified.

There was an update to GTA IV itself to 1.01 before this, which was to help with the freezing issue due to the game trying to access the servers every 2 minutes for (to me at least) unknown reasons.

Neither updates seem to have affected my version. I didn't have the freezing issue (I have launch 60 GB PS3 though which were apparently affected most - but then I didn't play SP whilst connected anyway). I was still on an SD TV when the 2.35 came out, noticed no difference.

About the PS3 blurring/DOF:

On an SD TV with Flicker Filter on everything is blurred, turn it off, everything is (for SD) sharp.

On HDTV there is a DOF blur (more distant objects become blurred) during daytime (not night) with no way to turn this off or on. When looking through taxi windows (or any other windows) this effect is not seen, everything is clear.

Also: no, the boats on PS3 seem to have no reflections.

GTA4 does some quite amazing things, like size of game world, number of dynamic lights, number of characters, animation engine, AI, vehicle physics. Calling this a lack of technology isn't even enough for a bad joke.

GTA4 does some quite amazing things, like size of game world, number of dynamic lights, number of characters, animation engine, AI, vehicle physics. Calling this a lack of technology isn't even enough for a bad joke.

Ouch, lighten up :devilish:

I was referring to the thread, not the game. This entire thread seems to be devoted to nitpicking a few poor areas rather than discussing (as you point out for example) the animation and scenery interaction with the characters which is remarkable.

I did not really know where to post this, i wouldn't create another GTA thread, so here it is:

a friend of mine discovered this weird glitch in the game, i filmed it, you can really fly high and far sometimes, and it totaly destroys the car, i've never seen such level of destruction in the game while playing normaly. What do you think about it ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Caazy14HCs0

Red Dead Redemption *moved discussion*

before we jump all over the "it's a conspiracy against PS3!" crap... how about we realize that with less available RAM (and I understand with custom soundtracks an additional 9MB of resources needed) there have GOT to be some compromise somewhere ALL ELSE being equal with 360 version.

Why is that so hard to understand?

ModEdit: Regarding RDR 360/PS3 apparent differences...

Back