The Technology of GTA IV/RDR *Rage Engine*

Enemy AI during combat is nothing special.
I imagine driver AI is pretty good,
but they do deadlock when the situation gets more complex.

It was mostly in reference to how they react to the environment. I shot a guy and pushed him off a dock and he would swim and lift himself up on the dock in a different position than where I was standing and he would sometimes wait a while to come back up. People talk about how great H3 AI it but I don't think its that impressive(its no better than resistance imo), its not as dynamic as GTA.

ehh, I was moderated with my picture, telling truth too straight . . . so again PS3 version over day is blurry because it is artistic intent. Over night is everything clear and sharp, look at picture below, photo of 40" screen from 1 meter. And to be politically correct all this is my opinion of course.

Who said it wasn't artistic intent? The game is still upscaled, so it's still not gonna be as clean as the 360 version.

Looks more like PS3 over YUV vs 360 framebuffer grab. Can't see the actual game being that blurry.

That's actually a good representation of the differences.

If I make a 640x480 picture that is half white and half black, then upscale to 1600x1200, it will have no blur.
It depends. If you perform something like typical bilinear filtering, your hard edge between black and white will appear blurred on the upscaled image.

You could, of course, perform point filtering. But that's absolutely useless and unrealistic in the context of game upscaling.

Mod Note:

I would like to remind folks that this is a technology forum, it is a place for technical discussion. Whether there are other points to a game that are wholly subjective (e.g. gameplay, art style) is not for these parts of the forums.

There are reports of GTAIV looking different (sharper) on PS3 since the 2.35 update. Any screenshots to verify/disprove this improbable change?

Hi all, first post here, hello, hello - I haven't seen this mentioned so thought I would: On the PS3 version the DOF blur is not present during the day if you are inside a building looking outside or if in a taxi as a passenger. If you use L1 to smash the taxi window, then the DOF will be seen again - but only there, through the other windows objects in the distance are still clear. If you are inside a building and walk out you can see the effect applied once you step out.

There are reports of GTAIV looking different (sharper) on PS3 since the 2.35 update. Any screenshots to verify/disprove this improbable change?

I updated my brothers PS3 and it looked the same afterward, but subtle differences may be lost on me. I can see the difference between the PS3 and 360 version, but if they've changed the PS3 version the differences are more minor than that.

There is suppose to be another difference between two versions:
on PS3 boats do not have reflections on the water surface, while on X360 they do.
Another bump for PS3 (which I own) :(

...If you use L1 to smash the taxi window, then the DOF will be seen again - but only there, through the other windows objects in the distance are still clear. If you are inside a building and walk out you can see the effect applied once you step out.
It'd bet good to get some screenshots to compare the differences in that case, as to how much is by-design blur.

It'd bet good to get some screenshots to compare the differences in that case, as to how much is by-design blur.

It would, but I don't have a decent camera atm.. It's strange you can't save photos with the in-game camera (unless there is a way in which case if anyone knows how to please let me know :D ). So someone else will have to do those :LOL: . Playbox X's balcony is a good place for an example.

Actually, I've just checked again I've got the inside-outside thing slightly wrong - the effect is not applied when looking through windows basically. You can see this looking at buildings through the windows in the doors of Playboy X's balcony for example. Same with the taxi windows. When I checked before there was another effect being applied at the point I walked out (a weather rain/cloud effect). With the DOF effect though you can view the same objects half through a window in a taxi or the balcony door windows, half not through the windows, to see the DOF blur effect compared to without the effect.

There is suppose to be another difference between two versions:
on PS3 boats do not have reflections on the water surface, while on X360 they do.
Another bump for PS3 (which I own) :(

youre right only shadows ... but everything else like planes reflecting on the water ... maybe they forget it??

fotografia511zy0.jpg

sorry for bad quality

I finally got a chance to compare the 360 version and the ps3 version side by side last night. Sony KDS-60A2000, professionally calibrated, hdmi on PS3 (rgb full range and superwhite with correct tv settings ITU709 on ps3, ITU601 on 360), component on 360. Here are the things I noticed:

1.) 360 loads faster initially. Once loaded the PS3 loads faster during deaths, scene transistions and cut scenes etc.

2.) AA on 360 and higher resolution is noticeable compared to PS3

3.) Color is obviously different. No way to bring them to parity with in-game settings unless heavy calibration is done to the hdtv. Even then, the blue heavy tinge is very apparent and probably won't go away.

4.) Framerates are slightly better on 360 but tearing can definitely happen. It's odd because it isn't like uncharted type of tearing where it goes across the screen often. It's almost like it begins to tear slightly on the upper left or right but then it stops. PS3's is just a smooth transition during camera changes/turns.

5.) Dithering in 360 is terribly distracting. It seems like lighting conditions pronounce the problem.

6.) 360 version has a sheen on every character, making them look plastic like. Must be the hdr, but coupled with the dithering makes the game feel very artificial.

My opinions: the color actually looks better on the 360 during certain conditions... and better on the PS3 during others. Example: PS3's predominantly brown/orange tinge makes the sunset lighting condition even more orangey. In this case I actually prefer the 360. Opposite is true during cloudy days on the 360. Blue + more blue makes for some really over the top color in scenes.

The dithering in the 360 is very very distracting to me. Especially in the shadows. The whole effect makes the 360 version of the game seem very grainy in motion and at a stand still. It looks like shadows are made out of thousands of dots... and textures from far away seem to get that too. I kept switching back from the first time you step outside of the appartment on both versions and being at a standstill, the 360 version would have dithering in constant motion on lit buildings and signs. It feels really awkward, like you're playing some kind of painting in motion.

I can definitely see why some prefered the look of the ps3 over the 360. The grainy/plasticy feel made the game feel very fake to me, while the softer cleaner ps3 (albeit blurrier) made it feel more organic. Anyways... sorry for being late to the party :LOL:

The dithering in the 360 is very very distracting to me. Especially in the shadows.

You're aware that those are at least two different things? Shadow flickering is a completely different artifact...

You're aware that those are at least two different things? Shadow flickering is a completely different artifact...

And where did I say they where the same? I mentioned earlier in the post that the lighting conditions (which means there will be shadows) seems to make the dithering worse or pronounce it somehow. You can't "imagine" that having dithering + shadow artifacting put together = pronounced effect?

I think the dithering stands out in the shadows, flickering or not. I've put several hours in both versions now and the dithered shadows are the first thing that jump out at you when going from the PS3 to the 360 version.

I think both versions have pros and cons, you can't go wrong with either, but it's too bad you can't take the best from both to make the ultimate version.

PS. First time post, long time reader.

Back