The summer of love 2010

Tried the demo. Not bad at all. Though it didn't seem to have the narrative charm of Braid.

Tommy McClain

So many people bringing up Braid, not a good thing - I hated Braid. Back then I thought I was alone, but I listened to the Eurogamer podcast the other day and 2 out of 3 didn't like Braid either. Will definitely still try the demo though, as I already know that at least for this game I like the art style, which I really couldn't appreciate in Braid.

Downloaded the demo on a whim earlier, as even after seeing some of the images and a couple of glowing reviews, I'd pretty much decided it wasn't for me.

I must say, this is the first time I can recall a demo 100% selling me on a game. Even the way the demo ends contributed to my immediate purchase.

From there, I put another hour and a half into the game without pause and really had to drag myself away eventually. The puzzles are often clever and even the "cheap" deaths, normally a pet hate of mine, haven't bothered me and are generally a learning tool for later puzzles. The atmosphere is what has really surprised me though, the feeling of melancholy it emanates is pervasive, touching me personally in a way I truly didn't expect.

Lovely, lovely game.

So many people bringing up Braid, not a good thing - I hated Braid. Back then I thought I was alone, but I listened to the Eurogamer podcast the other day and 2 out of 3 didn't like Braid either. Will definitely still try the demo though, as I already know that at least for this game I like the art style, which I really couldn't appreciate in Braid.

Whew, I thought I was the only one that didn't think Braid was all that good. Interesting in some ways (as a narrative vehicle for example) but quite bad as a game.

Limbo however, appears to be a proper game set in unique setting. Time to see if I can find any deals for Xbox Live Points...

Regards,
SB

Almost at the end of Limbo now and it's been amazing. The uniqueness of the puzzles really impresses me as does the flow of the game. Playdead already has my money for the next title.

On a side note, I really enjoy having my Kuro for a game like this. The black levels and shadow detail of the set really compliment the game's presentation. I only play Limbo at night with the lights off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whew, I thought I was the only one that didn't think Braid was all that good. Interesting in some ways (as a narrative vehicle for example) but quite bad as a game.

Limbo however, appears to be a proper game set in unique setting. Time to see if I can find any deals for Xbox Live Points...

Regards,
SB

I just finished the demo for Limbo, and I liked it. Very high quality on many levels. The only thing I can criticize it for is that the gameplay in the demo so far has been very simple - there isn't a whole lot of variation or things to distract you, in the way that all puzzle pieces belong to a single puzzle, which makes it ultimately very easy and straightforward, so I breezed through the demo and not dying was easier than I expected in advance.

But since the demo is also just the beginning, I expect it will get harder (some of the video I saw on Eurogamer suggested as much) though I expect the single puzzle / all pieces thing to last straight to the end. Probably someone here can confirm this for me ...

Limbo seems a good title, by the way. It's about as uplifting as the final sections of the road to Mordor, but then without any motivation to actually get there.

Regards,
SB

I like Limbo a heck of a lot better than Braid as well. The puzzles are very clever and stay rather unique up until the credits start rolling. It never feels like you are asked to do the same thing twice, which is quite an accomplishment when you have puzzle density as high as Limbo's. They also can get very challenging (both the figuring it out part and the execution part alike for that matter), but they never seemed too hard. Just hard enough to make you feel all smug when you finally pass them actually. It's pretty much perfect at what it does.

Limbo also doesn't try to be a pretentious novel at the same time. It's a pure gaming experience. Very lean and elegant.

Finished Limbo. I think the puzzles in Limbo are better than those in Braid, only the very last few require any sort of careful timing, it's mostly getting the ideas right. The presentation, though... I don't know. I kind of like what they're doing, and the faux-gory deaths are entertaining, but as they go on they're sort of repetitive, the shock/appeal of having a little kid be maimed horribly by implements of death wears out, and near the end it all felt kind of flat.

Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of great cinematic moments, particularly early on (later on the game is a lot more sparse in terms of presentation, but heavier on puzzles). And I didn't like the ending that much. I think Braid's end was more fun, especially the way it can change when you have the stars and how it plays with expectations. Maybe I'll find out in a while that I got the wrong ending and had to wait around for 10 minutes on top of the HOTEL sign to get a super-secret ending egg.

Shame Breach got delayed that was my 2010 summer arcade game.
probably gonna use points for shank
I can't wait for Hydro Thunder Hurricane, just a couple of days to go. I have been waiting for this game since it was announced and now it's about to come out.

I am -not literally but something similar- biting my nails while waiting for this game to come out Wednesday -it's my most anticipated game this summer and one of my most anticipated games of this year 2010-.

It belongs to an almost non-existent genre on the X360, while PS3 has Wipeout and Nintendo has F-Zero. It's a game that reminds me what games are all about; colour and sheer fun. And of course some skill.

Besides that, unlocking new ships and testing the obvious control differences and the stats between each one of them is really appealing. I like to master all ships, however I'm kind of average playing this kind of games. Anyway, it's all about having fun..

The first reviews of Hydro Thunder Hurricane :smile: :oops: came out and the scores are pretty good, plus it features 4 local players split-screen and online multiplayer.

http://loudmouthedgamers.com/blog/2010/07/26/hydro-thunder-hurricane-xbla-review-xbox-360/

Overall score: 8.5/10

The name may sound familiar and it should; Hydro Thunder has been around since 2000 in arcades and eventually on home consoles such as the SEGA Dreamcast, PS2, N64, PC, and even Xbox via compilation discs throughout the years.

Gameplay: Like the arcade version, Hydro Thunder Hurricane is a fast, action-packed, over the top power boat racer. The premise of Hydro Thunder Hurricane is to race, place, and gain points to unlock additional tracks and boats. The environments that make up each track are very interesting as you will be racing down huge waterfalls in deep ravines, driving through the canals of Paris, an island with monsters, and even the waterways of Area 51. While racing, there is so much going on in the environment around you to provide a highly action-packed experience. There will be falling rocks, helicopters dropping bombs creating massive waves, giant monsters leaping out of the water, and even police boats that will get in your way as they try to turn and slow your boat. A lot of the tracks have characteristics similar to that of the original arcade version but are completely redesigned. Each track has many hidden and alternate paths that hold secret collectables or provide a faster route to the finish line. As well, the tracks contain boost icons that will allow you to go faster and even do a boost jump to gain alternate routes, jump ahead of opponents, or reach certain floating elements. For added replay value, each track has 10 packages to collect which may be seen right out in the open or hidden in the alternate paths. A lot of the hidden paths are revealed with the Ring Master events so you shouldn’t have a problem locating them all, however, retrieving a lot of them can be quite a challenge.

The controls may seem too over the top and arcade like, but it’s actually really fun. Hitting waves will send you flying into the air but, combined with boosts, you can reach some pretty interesting areas. As well, you can control the direction of your landing which is really useful for the timed events.

The boats are split into three different classes – Novice, Pro, and Extreme. As you race and place in the top three, points will be awarded and, as you unlock the higher difficulties, more points will be awarded to speed up the unlocking process. There are four game modes – Race, Ring Master, The Gauntlet, and Championship. In race mode, the races can be played with any class and consist of 16 AI opponents on eight unique tracks. Some are long one lap races while others are short 3 lap circuit races. Of course, racing with a higher class will allow you to complete races faster but the competition is much tougher.

Graphics/Audio: Since its’ original arcade release, Hydro Thunder has of course seen a major graphical overhaul. For being a fast paced racing game, the boats, environments, textures, and especially the water are very detailed. Another thing about the water is how realistically it reacts to the boats and explosions around it. The lighting is very well done which helps provide a realistic reflection on the water. Even the water that splashes onto your screen as you crash through a wave looks very realistic. The UI is simple, clean, and very easy to navigate. To provide that authentic arcade feel, voiceovers are present on the menu and throughout the races. After a while it could probably seem annoying but you’ll soon find yourself repeating the phrases as they are said.

Multiplayer allows you to race online with up to eight people, setup a party and race with your online friends, or play locally with up to four human players against 4 AI opponents. Playing a private race with friends was the most fun as we would just goof around and try to collect the HTH packages hidden around the tracks. This made me wonder why there wasn’t a free play or arena mode where you could just drive around a track without racing against opponents.

Overall: With the over the top racing controls, the familiar classic arcade gameplay is still present. With eight tracks playable on four different game modes, players will get hours upon hours of gameplay out of this game. Trying to complete all of the races using the different classes and collecting all the HTH packages will be quite a challenge but it’s really addictive and fun just like those arcade days.

Some of the tracks surprisingly even felt like a huge waterslide winding down to a finish line below. One really helpful thing that was missing was a proper stat tracking screen which would have helped show which levels still had HTH packages to be collected. Aside from that, Hydro Thunder Hurricane is an awesome classic arcade racing experience with an HD overhaul. If you are looking for a good over the top racing game this summer, this is definitely the game to get.

Pros
-Clean and simple UI
-Fun over the top power boat racing

-Beautiful and destructive environments
-Amazing looking water
-Plenty of replay value
-Great sequel and overhaul to a classic arcade racer

Cons
-Missing a proper stat tracking screen
-Some noticeable pop in issues with reflections
-Annoying boats getting in the way that aren’t a part of the race

http://www.console-arcade.com/2010/07/26/review-hydro-thunder-hurricane/

Overall score: 4 out of 5

A big part of any arcade racer is the controls and here the boats handle smoothly, feeling just right. The different classes (Novice through to Expert) allow for favourite crafts to be found while others are left to languish unloved, save for mastery by a dedicated few. When you eventually get to control the Expert level boats, they do start to veer into silly territory, feeling slightly uncontrollable on times, but leaving no doubt as to their different handling properties.
The water physics, all giant swells and riotous fluidity, feel like a natural companion to their surroundings as they ebb and flow. For the most part they work in unison with the more impressive tracks, but can almost feel like an afterthought on others.

Limited to eight players, it manages to maintain the smooth frame rate in the single player portion of the game and encouraging that most classic of play style; facing off against friends and relatives on the same couch.

There`s something very moreish about Hydro Thunder Hurricane that keeps the player coming back for one more go. Whether it’s just to turn that niggling Bronze into a Silver or (hopefully) even a Gold, looking to nail that elusive ring challenge perfectly, or even if you`re more inclined to collect shiny trinkets, there`s something for most folks here.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2010/07/26/review-hydro-thunder-hurricane/

Overall score: 8/10

Rather than simply recreate the original game with updated graphics, the team at Vector Unit has decided to go all out with a brand new game engine and some stunning water physics. Can it hold its own against the Summer of Arcade big hitters such as Castlevania and Lara Croft?

In my mind Hydro Thunder Hurricane is a game that perfectly encapsulates Microsoft’s ‘Summer of Arcade.’ It is bright, airy, and the only time the sun isn’t shining is when you are racing at night – but even then the Aurora Borealis is there to give you a visual slap in the chops. Watching the crystal clear water lapping against the side of your boat in the selection menu really puts the player in summer holiday mode.

The game’s premise is as easy as they come – race and be merry!

You choose from one of several race boats on offer, and then hit the water against the computer or actual people. Each boat looks completely different from the next, with various skins to unlock, and – rather impressively – they all handle differently.

Unlike other racing games I have played, the statistics for handling, speed and acceleration really do make a difference. The best example I can give is when I stepped up from a novice to an expert boat. I set off as normal, approached the bend, and then a wizard must have cast a spell or something because next thing I know I’ve done a 180 degree spin and the boat’s on its roof. Stupid wizard.

Massive Kudos needs to be given to Vector Unit for the fantastic water physics they have managed to shoehorn in to a downloadable title. The quality is absolutely amazing with ripples, waves and even waterfalls on display. They all have various effects on the boats too, which provides an edge to the game as you are constantly fighting against not only your opponents, but the pull of the water. I have an example of this, but my boat ended up on its roof again. Stupid wizard.

Visually the game is an absolute peach. As mentioned above the water looks amazing, the boats are fairly well detailed and the only let down is where some of the course obstacles look a bit flat and – dare I say – last generation. Sonically the game is passable, although the generic excited announcer at the start menu made me sigh a little bit.

Unfortunately at the time of this review the servers were as dead as cargo pants with pockets in the knees – so I wasn’t able to test this out. I can imagine it’s great fun though and will be the icing on the cake.

Pros

Fast, fluid gameplay
Lots of content
Visually impressive
Cons

A lot of content is recycled
Stupid wizards

So this leaves me in an awkward position in terms of giving a score to this bad boy. Personally I loved it, and for 1200 MS points you’re getting a game that is just as polished and impressive as some boxed products costing four times as much. The only real sticking point is that whilst you do get a lot of content, it can get very repetitive. Hopefully the game will see some decent DLC adding in a few more courses, and then I will be as pleased as punch. I can also see the online mulitplayer really taking off, which will add a massive shot of longevity. Overall this definitely comes recommended – a much needed dash of sunshine after spending hours stuck in LIMBO.

Thresher_in_LostBabylon2-150x150.jpg

Razorback_and_Thresher_in_LostBabylon2-150x150.jpg

TidalBlade_in_LostBabylon-title1.jpg

RadHazard_in_LakePowell-22-150x150.jpg

I can't wait for Hydro Thunder Hurricane, just a couple of days to go. I have been waiting for this game since it was announced and now it's about to come out.

I am -not literally but something similar- biting my nails while waiting for this game to come out Wednesday -it's my most anticipated game this summer and one of my most anticipated games of this year 2010-.

It belongs to an almost non-existent genre on the X360, while PS3 has Wipeout and Nintendo has F-Zero. It's a game that reminds me what games are all about; colour and sheer fun. And of course some skill.

Besides that, unlocking new ships and testing the obvious control differences and the stats between each one of them is really appealing. I like to master all ships, however I'm kind of average playing this kind of games. Anyway, it's all about having fun..

I am actually rather excited for Hydro as well.

Having completed Limbo, it's easil one of the Top5 games on XBLA. Very happy with it. Once the gf is done with her playthrough, I'll go back for the hidden items.

Having completed Limbo, it's easil one of the Top5 games on XBLA. Very happy with it. Once the gf is done with her playthrough, I'll go back for the hidden items.
I experience the same t when I really like a game, I find the idea of trying to play it as better as possible and finding every little secret quite appealing. But it happens with very few games, at least in my case.

I only played the demo of Limbo. I found it fine with some extremely imaginative puzzles. A bit depressing at times but fun and interesting, it manages to keep you hooked. The nocturnal atmosphere is not very colourful but it's natural. It reminded me of one of those terror movies of the past, which have something special compared with the modern ones.

Some people compare the atmosphere and art style of the game with the film The Night of the Hunter, and an apparently very famous scene from the movie:

NightHunter04.jpg

Yet some others compare this special game with a 1975 masterpiece, a short film by Yuriy Norshteyn, Hedgehog in the Fog:

As for Hydro Thunder Hurricane, there are new reviews. They are... wow. And some special comments on some of them! Where they explain why they like the game and all that. They are getting better and better and explain perfectly what I might like about the game, easy to play yet difficult to master, lots of unlockables -ships, courses, etc- and silly arcade fun. It seems.... Soooo good. :smile:

This new review scored the game with a 93 :oops::

http://www.ztgamedomain.com/9795/Hydro-Thunder-Hurricane.html

Full updated list of reviews here:

http://www.gamerankings.com/xbox360/991786-hydro-thunder-hurricane/articles.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought Hydro from work...haven't even read a review. I hope it is as good or better than the MWY title (one would think I would stop buying current or former Midway licenses).

Picked up Limbo as well.

I bought Hydro from work...haven't even read a review. I hope it is as good or better than the MWY title (one would think I would stop buying current or former Midway licenses).

Picked up Limbo as well.
I also downloaded the full game but I still didn't play it. I can't wait to try though, probably this weekend. It's my 40th XBLA game. :smile: Live Arcade is full of gems, sometimes better games than quite a few retail games.

I also downloaded the full game but I still didn't play it. I can't wait to try though, probably this weekend. It's my 40th XBLA game. :smile: Live Arcade is full of gems, sometimes better games than quite a few retail games.

I have one or two XBLA titles as well.

Back