The summer of love 2010

Same here.

Blacklight: Tango Down is a CoD game with the UE3 engine. The presentation with all the "noise" really annoyed me.

Deathspank: Maybe I've grown out of that humor but none of it sat well with me. I was bored

Scott and Al, that game I couldn't think of other night was from Sierra. It was called Space Quest V. My mind may finally rest.

Played the Deathspank demo on PS3 (what am I doing in this thread then?!) and it was very dull. The writing was pretty primitive, but most importantly the gameplay felt very weak and wishy-washy. What's the difference between the sword and axe, and what does the IX or whatever it is when you hit mean? It feels like the game is just one big, unsophisticated joke, and if it's not something one finds funny, there's no other value to the game.

Played the Deathspank demo on PS3 (what am I doing in this thread then?!) and it was very dull. The writing was pretty primitive, but most importantly the gameplay felt very weak and wishy-washy. What's the difference between the sword and axe, and what does the IX or whatever it is when you hit mean? It feels like the game is just one big, unsophisticated joke, and if it's not something one finds funny, there's no other value to the game.

Dont know i have the complete opposite i really enjoy the game i like the childish humor because i myself stayed a bit childish.:rolleyes:

And probably because i didn't expect a lot the game could use some better battle tutorial. Or i have missed the note that shield reduces damage to only 1~10 damage instead of the 300 plus.

Limbo really does look gorgeous, although horrific. the atmosphere and use of blur, fog and particles is exceptional. They really identified their intended art style and nailed it, presenting something photosurrealistic that nAo should be proud of.

Limbo really does look gorgeous, although horrific. the atmosphere and use of blur, fog and particles is exceptional. They really identified their intended art style and nailed it, presenting something photosurrealistic that nAo should be proud of.

Now that I think about it, this is a lot like Another World, isn't it? Very similar in its trial-by-error/death puzzle/platform gaming. The only difference perhaps is that Another World was more 3D than this, which is funny considering by how many years Another World precedes this game, and of course has more color ;), but other than that, very kindred games.

Yes, gamestyle is similar. Which TBH I don't much like, and the Eurogamer game-play vids are enough to know I'd be frustrated at the random and frequent deaths. Reliance on respawn isn't a good design decision IMO. but the aesthetic is glorious. An ICO style game looking like this would be stellar.

http://n4g.com/news/532641/playdead-limbo-not-coming-to-ps3-or-pc

It looks like the upcoming XBLA platformer Limbo isn't headed to the PS3 or PC after all. After the ESRB listed the game for the two additional platforms, Joystiq contacted Playdead for more information and, according to Playdead's Dino Patti, the game is not coming to either the PC or PS3.

EDIT:
I took a quick look at the video Arwin linked to. The art style is indeed unique but I think it's missing a wee bit something (e.g. animated/interactive fog for added immersiveness ?). The gameplay part is more interesting but seems overly random. Should give us more hints about upcoming traps.

I can understand avoiding PSN, but not releasing on PC is odd. But off topic. Summer of Love has Limbo on Live!

Limbo seems pretty sweet. Eurogamer gives it a 9/10. Also has a first 15 minutes (and I think even a second 15 minutes) if you want an impression:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/limbo-review?page=2

Really nice.

Oh that's very cool, kind of reminds of me of that old Amiga/PC game except you're a kid instead of a man. Bugger, can't remember the name...

[edit] Bah I should have waited before replying you mentioned the game in a later post. :D

Regards,
SB

I took a quick look at the video Arwin linked to. The art style is indeed unique but I think it's missing a wee bit something (e.g. animated/interactive fog for added immersiveness ?). The gameplay part is more interesting but seems overly random. Should give us more hints about upcoming traps.

You should compare this to early sierra games, where they suggest you 'save early, save often'. The game creators spend a lot of time thinking out cool (and in the case of Sierra, often really funny) ways to die. In other words, the game creators want you to die, and once you get over your own pride and learn to appreciate the death animations, it's cool. ;)

But I agree that it is counter to your gamers instinct. It was my first negative reaction to this game as well - oh, nice, a completely unfair game that will have to trial and error your way through the game. But after a short while I started appreciating the quality of the deaths. While initially
you fall into a hole and die (which I hate, I find it the worst and most annoying kind of death in a game ever), later the Spider nails you with one of his legs in a really cool (and precise!) way,
I really liked that. Having been
impailed
like that a few times, then it totally enhances the the emotional response you get when
first carefully interact, and then get to pull a leg off of one of the dead spiders and use it as a bridge.
. I thought that was very neat.

I think the main problem with dying all the time is that it breaks the immersion and story/flow of a game. In that sense, sierra's game was perfect as it used a really funny animation where you see Larry being swiped up and recycled, while the next in a long line of Larrys rolling of an underground factory line is pushed above ground for you to continue with. Another example for that kind of solution is GTA, where after 'dying' you wake up in the hospital.

Even better example is the original Dragon's Lair laser disc arcade "game." I wasted a lot of money purposely dying even after finishing the game as I tried to see all the different ways you could die.

That was certainly one game that rewarded you handsomely for dying. :)

Regards,
SB

Limbo is amazing. The only game this gen that can give Braid a run for it's money.

The atmosphere, gameplay, style, is all top notch. If you liked Briad or like platformers in general or don't have shit taste, pick it up.

Back