The quest for fluidity in 3D - 60Hz+ through image processing?

No, it apparently just looks like it is (i think)

That's my point, it's just opinion about something that's different and most of it couched in derogatory terms to further some people's agendas (not refering to you).

Where would the HD era be if a contingent was boisterously claiming that it made everything look like "chick flicks"?

It makes what you watching look like it's a cheap daytime soap opera. It's hard to discern why.
It's because you have some sort of weird preconcieved ideas and prejudice that smooth motion = low budget.

I'm sure you don't reason the same way regarding video games, yes? I myself never watch daytime TV so I wouldn't even know what it looks like, to me, smooth framerates is gorgeous. I love it. Juddering pans is the pits, IMO. Bring on the 48FPS cinema stuff already, please... Only problem I foresee is that there's without almost any doubt at all no 48Hz support in the crappy HDMI spec, and is probably not supported in the bluray spec either.

Meh, fuck the fossils ... now they know how I felt with every fucking panning shot in the last 10-15 years, I think gamers will have a slightly different perception especially as far as action scenes are concerned.

Hell, maybe Bay action scenes will finally become decipherable.

Agree.
I wish the moviemakers moved up to shooting at 120+ fps. Would make all action movies awesome.

It's because you have some sort of weird preconcieved ideas and prejudice that smooth motion = low budget.
It's like audiophiles claiming CD digital audio is too harsh or something, when really all they're saying is 'I'm not used to it being a better representation of the real thing.'

So all 1080p48 is shot on a TV set like a soap opera?

How about something like this?

http://vimeo.com/47559505

or this?

http://vimeo.com/48844018

That is not representative imo. It is like a documentary...in this case, real looking is good and people like it and expect it. It is different for movies...one is used to have this certain look: you don't expect a movie to look 'real' like a documentary.

I don't know what to think about it myself yet: did not see a movie at 48fps. However I am certain that 3D should really benefit greatly. I also think a movie like Transformers, with close up of fast action can benefit a lot from better temporal resolution.

I am curious to find out. Maybe Hobbit is not the real thing either...film maker may need some time to adjust to the new tec. I wonder however why animated movies like Pixar don't use higher fps? Even higher than 48 Hz...

Ive just seen the vimeo vids and they look fine cant see anything wrong with them
except they showed battersea powerstation without a large pig flying above it ;)

I am curious to find out. Maybe Hobbit is not the real thing either...film maker may need some time to adjust to the new tec. I wonder however why animated movies like Pixar don't use higher fps? Even higher than 48 Hz...

Most probably because they have not been able to actually show them in >=48 fps to a majority of the audience. But that will most probably change in the future.

It makes what you watching look like it's a cheap daytime soap opera. It's hard to discern why. Motion looks hyper realistic, but it looks worse than most TV.
I don't think it's the difference between interpolation and real framerate.
I'd say it's more the lack of post-production colour manipulation that seems to be done to film. At least, that's what I've noticed, say, when there is a "making of" documentary on a movie - the colour of the captured video is completely different to final clips.

I'd say it's more the lack of post-production colour manipulation that seems to be done to film. At least, that's what I've noticed, say, when there is a "making of" documentary on a movie - the colour of the captured video is completely different to final clips.

That occurred to me, but even watching movies with interpolated motion, you see the same effect.
I spent a lot of time looking at it, and I can't make my mind up as to exactly what it is, the errors in the interpolation probably don't help.
And I've always been an advocate of higher frame rates in games.
If it's just the framerate it's interesting that you can learn to associate something so abstract with quality.

Back