The price of petrol.

I was fiddling around with Google calculator and decided to do a fuel price comparison. Taking a UK price of 89p per litre it works out that we are paying $5.88 a gallon. Which looks to be about double the price in the US. I knew that we were paying more but I didn't realise how much more!
Price per gallon

Still, Google calculator rocks!

Captain Chickenpants said:
I was fiddling around with Google calculator and decided to do a fuel price comparison. Taking a UK price of 89p per litre it works out that we are paying $5.88 a gallon. Which looks to be about double the price in the US. I knew that we were paying more but I didn't realise how much more!
Price per gallon
Anychance you know what percentage of the gas price is just taxes?

epic

epicstruggle said:
Anychance you know what percentage of the gas price is just taxes?

epic

Loads of it. 17.5 percent is VAT, over half of what's left is fuel tax. You can't belive how the driver here in the UK gets hit by taxes, sometimes one on top of the other.

Well, there you go. Reason your gas/petrol is so expensive is your govermnent has their hands in your pocket. Wow, 70% in taxes is ridiculous.

epic

Looking at the latest gas taxes in the US, it looks like we pay around 16% in taxes. I used the average price of $2.43, and the average taxes as $0.39 per gallon. So here in the US we pay $2.04 per gallon, and in the UK you pay $1.77 per gallon for just the gasoline. Is that right, or is my math retarded? I through for sure the price for just the gas would still be higher in the UK.

Current gas taxes in the US by state: http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/...oleum_marketing_monthly/current/pdf/enote.pdf

JBark said:
Looking at the latest gas taxes in the US, it looks like we pay around 16% in taxes. I used the average price of $2.43, and the average taxes as $0.39 per gallon. So here in the US we pay $2.04 per gallon, and in the UK you pay $1.77 per gallon for just the gasoline. Is that right, or is my math retarded? I through for sure the price for just the gas would still be higher in the UK.

Current gas taxes in the US by state: http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/...oleum_marketing_monthly/current/pdf/enote.pdf
Hmm, the maths looks fine.
Is that 16% just the normal tax you pay on most things, or is it specific fuel tax? In the uk we pay 17.5% VAT on most things that get sold, on top of this we are paying a fuel tax which brings it up to the 70%.

CC

Price per gallon

Still, Google calculator rocks!

Did you allow for the difference between US Gallons and "the rest of the world" gallons?

Well welcome to Sweden, as soon as you pass the border your ruined.

Last edited by a moderator:
althought i agree we in the uk are ripped off over fuel (along with everything else:devilish: )

i must point out that a u.s gallon is only 3.78 litres vs 4.546 in the u.k.

also the price quoted in this thread for the average u.s gallon is for regular u/l
which is i think 91 ron or lower?

in the u.k regular is 95 ron.

we are still ripped off thou;)

I wish I knew where to get petrol for 89p per litre! It's more like 94-95p even at the stupermarkets near me, and I've seen it over £1/litre out in the countryside! :oops: (Yay! Screw the farmers!)

nutball said:
I wish I knew where to get petrol for 89p per litre! It's more like 94-95p even at the stupermarkets near me, and I've seen it over £1/litre out in the countryside! :oops: (Yay! Screw the farmers!)

do you have a asda near you? mine as u/l for 87.9 per litre;)

i must point out that a u.s gallon is only 3.78 litres vs 4.546 in the u.k
That was taken into account.

also the price quoted in this thread for the average u.s gallon is for regular u/l
which is i think 91 ron or lower?

in the u.k regular is 95 ron.
Oh, didn't know that!

I wish I knew where to get petrol for 89p per litre! It's more like 94-95p even at the stupermarkets near me, and I've seen it over £1/litre out in the countryside! (Yay! Screw the farmers!)
I was doing a conservative estimate based on this.
If we take the Average South East of 90.6 price then it goes up to $5.99 per US gallon.

Hmm, the maths looks fine.
Is that 16% just the normal tax you pay on most things, or is it specific fuel tax? In the uk we pay 17.5% VAT on most things that get sold, on top of this we are paying a fuel tax which brings it up to the 70%.

CC

You know, I can't find anything to say if that includes the regular sales tax or not. I think the number does include the regular state sales tax (I think the states just roll the sales tax into the overall gas tax), but doesn't include any local option sales tax that some places have. The local option sales tax usually isn't much more than 1-2%, so it wouldn't affect this number a whole lot.

If your worried about the price of fuel, you can always up your mpg/kpg by:

-Making sure your tires are properly inflated
-Spark plugs, air filters, oil are checked and maintened regularly.
-sparingly use AC
-slow consistent starts. Dont hit the gas pedal to quickly accelarate.
-avoid drive-thrus

epic

Looks like the cheapest gas available in all of Norway is $5.51 per US gallon. And I believe that's $1.10 for the gas and $4.41 in taxes.

Back