The PLAYSTATION®3 system software version 2.00 update includes the following:

I've always felt that delaying the PS3 ability to upscale was a business move for Sony.......basically a deal with all the other BluRay Hardware backers.....

if the PS3 had DVDupscaling from the beginning....I really believe there would be very low sales for the other BluRay players......if any at all.....

choice for a person who wants a BluRay player........and has a DVD collection....

$500-$600 PS3.....nice BluRay player, but does not upscale DVDs...
$800-$1000....(non gaming system)Professional BluRay playerthat upscales all of his/her DVD collection....

if the PS3 upscaled it would be a landslide.....

I think it was more an issue of:

a) PS3 that upscales DVD's = Significantly poorer Blu-Ray disc sales

b) PS3 that doesn't upscale DVD's = Significantly better Blu-Ray disc sales.

Upscaled DVD is nice, but it´s not as nice as true HD. Those that bought a PS3 for BluRay should be inclined to know this (educated). And those that don´t should be able to see so for themselves. Btw, i wonder why other HiDef players do a good job of upscaling DVD´s. I guess those manufactors doesn´t want their HiDef players and Format to sell?

I think it was more a matter of not having the upscaling software ready, just as they didn't have BG downloading ready, nor countless other features, many of which they're still working on now. Especially considering that we had reports of them working on upscaling software before the PS3 even launched.
  • The current player converts interlace to progressive only for SD movies. Right now SCE developers are working to improve DVD picture quality after they implemented YCrCb. After that it's planned to do something for 1080i to 1080p conversion. Though the RAM size can be an obstacle for it, SCE developers say they can do it by splitting the load between Cell and RSX.
  • Currently there are complaints from users about non-existent DVD upscaling in the PS3. As for the interlace-to-progressive conversion before upscaling, the current player has it already. There was a team at the division for broadcast equipments at Sony that does research for improving image quality by using the NVIDIA shader language. They ported it onto RSX. After Cell does noise reduction and other filters, RSX does interlace-to-progressive conversion. Though the current algorithm has bugs for some video sources, SCE says the conversion precision will be upgraded by future updates. Also the noise reduction filter is currently optimized for video sources with relatively many MPEG noises recorded with a video recorder. SCE knows lack of picture details because of it and will provide new default values for noise reduction by checking recording formats and media IDs for DVD discs. As for upscaling, they are doing the research to develop a high-quality multi-tap upscaling filter that balances the load between Cell and RSX. They also plan to use the non-original luminance information generated in upscaling for HDMI 1.3 deep color.

Last edited by a moderator:
In addition to that, they may just implement it without listing it on an update list...

I'm surprised we still have no ETA for this update....Usually, we get a teaser on the added features and then have a timeframe a few days later...

I'm just excited about the visualizations.....the stock one is interesting but I'm anxious to see what else they can do...Afterall, my $600 console needs to play something and there's no new games out... :)

[pinch of salt]
By the end of this week the new new firmware will be up for download. This firmware makes it possible to put up your own wallpapers, music to listen while playing games and DVD's and PS2-games will be upscaled.
[/pinch of salt]
it's from gamespots forums

http://uk.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=25636859

That thread linked the "original" place where the info came from, and I wonder if the org. site took this quote out of context

* Game
o XMBâ„¢ (XrossMediaBar) is now accessible during gameplay.

And made his own assumption :???: . Custom soundtrack on PS3 would be awesome though. Definately one of my favorites from X360.

my insider confirmed a new firmware which involves upscaling stuff happening THIS WEEK .
so patience children

Great, seeing as the rumour said the week just gone, I was checking for updates, every hour just incase.

I am currently going through GT4 again and would love to play it with added PS3 niceness :LOL:

Any word on any other enhancements? Maybe some form of AA? Wouldn't have thought it would be hard for RSX to apply AA to the rendered image the GS sends it. (But I am not technically minded in this respect so it might be the hardest thing in the world :LOL: )

Any word on any other enhancements? Maybe some form of AA? Wouldn't have thought it would be hard for RSX to apply AA to the rendered image the GS sends it. (But I am not technically minded in this respect so it might be the hardest thing in the world :LOL: )

Actually, yes, creating information that's not there is impossible. :)

Actually, yes, creating information that's not there is impossible. :)

Well, actually, it is possible! Ever heard of Scale2x or hq3x? That goes way beyond upscaling, and i think Cell is pretty much capable of that in realtime.

I just tried it with some PS1 screenshots, works wonders.

Quick question tho, since the BC is now handled through software emulation, how hard would it be for the RSX to render the games @ HD resulutions? Somebody enlighten me why they cannot do this yet?

BC is both hardware and software. EE is emulated, but the GS is still in there. Emulating GS on RSX would be very hard indeed due to GS's unconventional design. Even if it could, just increasing the resolution will mess up UI's and 'stuff' if the game wasn't designed to support different resolutions. It's not a straightforward thing for console games, though it is something users of PC games take for granted, being able to switch to higher resolutions when they upgrade their GPU.

I am unable to upload from where i am now, i will post the screenshots later today.

Note that if you try for yourself, choose the screenshots wisely - JPG artifacts greatly interfere with the process, only clean images lead to a fair comparison.

Quick question tho, since the BC is now handled through software emulation, how hard would it be for the RSX to render the games @ HD resulutions? Somebody enlighten me why they cannot do this yet?
RSX cannot match the insane bandwidth the GS has to it's memory I think (48 gb/s or something like that.)

Maybe, but it's still something RSX cannot match, properly "emulate" or work around.

There's all sorts of rumours flying round about including GS features in the southbridge to alleviate this problem, but I don't know how close to the truth this is.

Back