The PLAYSTATION®3 system software version 2.00 update includes the following:

FFXI and other Japanese only games do. Besides, there's been an update out for that for quite some time.
They are not Playstation games ;)

No playstation games ever required installing, Playstation 2 games however..... ;)

Still they wouldn't make a big deal about it for the 2 or 3 games that actually needed installing. This alludes to something else and I really am quite excited about what it might be. (although I will probably end up being slightly disappointed :LOL: )

Getting better and better!

Very nice change list. Looking forward to this.

About the only thing left on my wish list after this is DVD upscaling.

They are not Playstation games ;)

No playstation games ever required installing, Playstation 2 games however..... ;)

Good point! But he didn't say PS1 games, he just said games in reference to the PS/PS2 entry. :p

[PS / PS2 Settings] has been added as an option. - Emulation enchantemts? Or maybe some settings for games that require instalation...

True, but they wouldn't add a setting for HD install games and list it under "PS / PS2 settings" That just doesn't make any sense, especially considering there is already a downloadable "fix" to install these games in the US PSN.

True, but they wouldn't add a setting for HD install games and list it under "PS / PS2 settings" That just doesn't make any sense, especially considering there is already a downloadable "fix" to install these games in the US PSN.

Another good point! Although, the settings may just be grouped together under that heading (Legacy Support, if you will). As I can't think of many settings that would apply universally to both PS1 and PS2 games, there are probably multiple options under it for the PS1 and PS2 separately. That's a lot of supposition, though. I don't think there will be a section for installed PS2 games there either, but only because there is already a patch. Although, a more permanent fix via firmware would be nice. That way everyone has it, even if they format their drive or don't know about the patch on the PSN Store.

How about upscaling DVD playback?

This is a real bugbear of mine. Whilst 480P playback is decent enough, when you've seen DVD playback properly upscaled, nothing else ever looks as good.

Is this ever going to come? Its not as if there isnt an abundance of cpu power there to do it... (moan, whinge etc)

This is a real bugbear of mine. Whilst 480P playback is decent enough, when you've seen DVD playback properly upscaled, nothing else ever looks as good.

Is this ever going to come? Its not as if there isnt an abundance of cpu power there to do it... (moan, whinge etc)

Phil has hinted at it. So expect it this year...but not for a while.

(moan, whinge etc)

There is no magic to make SD material look great. I've dealt with PC upscaling (ffdshow) via DVI, 360 via VGA and I always fall back to my trusty $50 DVD player with no upscaling (except what the LCD does). It's not worth the headache or noise IMO.

Upscaling DVD is just a placebo. Just tell yourself that your TV is doing the upscaling (it is) and you will feel better. :)

I'd like to see the bluray player scaling the image to 720P instead of 480P if 1080 res is unavailable.

It apparantly DID do this at one time but then it was changed to this bizarre behavior in an update back in december last year I believe.

Peace.

The PS3 has never downscaled Blu-ray to 720p. The only thing that changed in that update was the priority of 1080i relative to 720p. This was only an issue on 1080i-only CRTs. Most (all?) 720p TVs can display 1080i.

There is no magic to make SD material look great. I've dealt with PC upscaling (ffdshow) via DVI, 360 via VGA and I always fall back to my trusty $50 DVD player with no upscaling (except what the LCD does). It's not worth the headache or noise IMO.

Upscaling DVD is just a placebo. Just tell yourself that your TV is doing the upscaling (it is) and you will feel better. :)

I think it all depends what dvd player you use. I've got a Marantz dv9600, and even using it on a tv that's only 720p (the dv9600 scales to 1080p) the difference is :oops: and considering how much it costs, so it should be.

Last edited by a moderator:
480P output

I think it all depends what dvd player you use. I've got a Marantz dv9600, and even using it on a tv that's only 720p (the dv9600 scales to 1080p) the difference is :oops: and considering how much it costs, so it should be.

I very much agree.

I have a Samsung upscaling Dvd player (dont know the model, but it only cost £99) and the quality of that upscaling to 1080i to my samsung 40" LCD represents a genuine "Jesus H Christ doesnt that look good!" moment.

The PS3 ouputting 480P in comparison is very "meh..."

If only I didnt know what I was missing, I'd be happy I suppose.
Alas I only have a single HDMI on the telly ...

I would really like to see Sony implementing a UPnP Media Renderer so that we can stream movies and audio to the PS3. Don't they already have devices that support this ?

I very much agree.

I have a Samsung upscaling Dvd player (dont know the model, but it only cost £99) and the quality of that upscaling to 1080i to my samsung 40" LCD represents a genuine "Jesus H Christ doesnt that look good!" moment.

The PS3 ouputting 480P in comparison is very "meh..."

If only I didnt know what I was missing, I'd be happy I suppose.
Alas I only have a single HDMI on the telly ...

Considering real 1080P BD movies on a 1080P TV don't make me say "Jesus H Christ doesnt that look good!" I guess I'm so easily impressed with SD material ran through a few filters.

The PS3 has never downscaled Blu-ray to 720p.
Oh.. Well then I got confused I guess. It happens when you get old..

This was only an issue on 1080i-only CRTs. Most (all?) 720p TVs can display 1080i.
Unfortunately it's an issue on my LCD too (and it's a Sony which is kind of weird). Maybe it doesn't happen with component I dunno but with DVI/HDMI I get an out of range error/black screen if I try to run PS3 in 1080i.. :(
Peace.

I've always felt that delaying the PS3 ability to upscale was a business move for Sony.......basically a deal with all the other BluRay Hardware backers.....

if the PS3 had DVDupscaling from the beginning....I really believe there would be very low sales for the other BluRay players......if any at all.....

choice for a person who wants a BluRay player........and has a DVD collection....

$500-$600 PS3.....nice BluRay player, but does not upscale DVDs...
$800-$1000....(non gaming system)Professional BluRay playerthat upscales all of his/her DVD collection....

if the PS3 upscaled it would be a landslide.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't your tv or projector (mine seems to do it) ,doing the upscalling?

I guess when people talk about up scaling they are really talking about wanting better filtering and post processing options. It's not just about filling the screen correctly.

I've never owned a up scaling DVD player personally. But I've seen several movies on Satellite that are broadcast at 1080, but that I know are sourced from DVD, but they look very very good. Fidelity and actual detail is not nearly as good as a BD movie, but its considerably better than 480p on my TV from my PS3.

Back