The PLAYSTATION®3 system software version 2.00 update includes the following:

If you like lack of detail for the sake of getting rid of aliasing, then yeah, it looks better. I'll take the 480 version.

You can upscale without smoothing, which retains more sharpness. I guess it's a matter of taste, and that's why they allow it to be separately enabled. It probably also looks better in some games than others.

You can upscale without smoothing, which retains more sharpness. I guess it's a matter of taste, and that's why they allow it to be separately enabled. It probably also looks better in some games than others.

Cool. I'll try it out tonight. I have the GoWII demo disc and will go between smooth/non smooth. Thanks for the tip!

http://www.gameswank.com/content/view/116/1/

Gameswank have everything from neogaf, plus they have some really good Killzone comparisons. Impressive.

How about the new deep colour option, anybody tried it? And what about 24Hz for Blu-ray movies? That look good? This thread is sooo long...

I just tested the 24p option, the last and really annoying part of movie watching was killed, pans are smooth.. I´m as happy as can be.

The DNLA stuff is what it was on my Streamium, a mess, until there is a PS3 tuned version of one of the popular servers it will be "ok" i guess. The secret (guessing here) is to know what the PS3 can decode and how to bring it to it.

Everything from MPEG2/H.264 TS files to whatetever MPEG 1+2+3+4 should be doable...

I just tested the 24p option, the last and really annoying part of movie watching was killed, pans are smooth.. I´m as happy as can be.

The DNLA stuff is what it was on my Streamium, a mess, until there is a PS3 tuned version of one of the popular servers it will be "ok" i guess. The secret (guessing here) is to know what the PS3 can decode and how to bring it to it.

Everything from MPEG2/H.264 TS files to whatetever MPEG 1+2+3+4 should be doable...

Music wise...it can't stream wma then :(

Music wise...it can't stream wma then :(

I think it could* but it wont matter since audio codecs is by the least problem.

The media servers transcodes unsupported Audio formats to PCM and sends it to the PS3, no quality loss no lossy transcodes just pure pleasure :)

*Every audio codec including WMA that the PS3 supports should be supported on the DNLA side as well...

I think it could* but it wont matter since audio codecs is by the least problem.

The media servers transcodes unsupported Audio formats to PCM and sends it to the PS3, no quality loss no lossy transcodes just pure pleasure :)

*Every audio codec including WMA that the PS3 supports should be supported on the DNLA side as well...

Sweeet. Gotta try that out...means my music can grace the house without having to get out a CD ever again. Nice (bins CD player)...It almost feels now that when you buy a ps3 you're saving money from buying so many other multimedia items. Or is that the wrong way to look at it?

Just got this working ... first I got really confused because the folders showed up but then nothing in them. But turns out my parental level had been set to level 9 after the update (presumably in combination with the default region option or something like that). After turning that off, there was my music finally. :)

And yes, wma works. But I'd presume that either microsoft charges a lot for WMV support, makes it hard to implement on other platforms, or Sony isn't interested in supporting the format ...

Other nice stuff is that it appears my TV supports the wide color thing (Samsung LE32N71). And since it's 720p, that Bluray playback supporting 720p is nice too. ;) (not that 1080i looked bad or anything)

The differences are huge but I can't really decide which ones I like better. In some cases it's obviously better,in others it's just another version of ugly.
Are there pics with smoothing but no upscaling?

Back