The old and unwieldy GTA4 thread*

Status
Not open for further replies.
We'll never really know why it was delayed, but this theory about a contract with Sony doesn't seem too far fetched.

And you're basing this on the official PR? Sorry, but means next to nothing to me. What do you expect them to say? "PS3 is holding us back??"

The irony of these two back to back sentences made me laugh out loud, thanks scoob. :smile:

And you're basing this on the official PR? Sorry, but means next to nothing to me. What do you expect them to say? "PS3 is holding us back??"

exactly

the fact that the PS3 version has even yet to see the light of day (not even at E3) and only 360 media should be a pretty big clue right there for those playing along at home.

It's no secret that PS3 is harder to leverage than 360 at the moment.

The irony of these two back to back sentences made me laugh out loud, thanks scoob. :smile:

What irony?

Speculation from an analyst like Pachter means a little more to me than a press release. Pachter's worth a grain of salt, the PR, not even worth that much.

And I never said it was true, simple that it wasn't too far fetched. Based mainly on the fact we have still to this day, never seen the game running on a PS3. And Rockstar and Sony have a longstanding relationship, and numerous contracts together over the last 8 years.

What irony?

Speculation from an analyst like Pachter means a little more to me than a press release. Pachter's worth a grain of salt, the PR, not even worth that much.

And I never said it was true, simple that it wasn't too far fetched. Based mainly on the fact we have still to this day, never seen the game running on a PS3. And Rockstar and Sony have a longstanding relationship, and numerous contracts together over the last 8 years.

You simply like one rumor, the anti-Sony one, over the others and have the gall to lecture Arwin. Classic.

You simply like one rumor, the anti-Sony one, over the others and have the gall to lecture Arwin. Classic.

haha

the distinction is that dj's "rumor" that MS held it up due to a "super-secret compression :cool::p" method to overcome the DVD is akin to saying that R*'s Lead was was abducted by aliens, hence the delay. :LOL: :p

edit: that's not to say that compression isn't an issue just that the rumor was written in ridiculous fanboy-speak.

. But a deal where Rockstar is talking with MS & Sony to strike a simultaneous release is a bit... I dunno, odd? For a start what would MS or Sony have to really gain from it?

MS would win the console war vs the PS3 if GTA4 released in september no the X360 and on the PS3 in april. Well, maybe not the entire war, but it would win a lot.

Its not like Sony\MS has to pay R* to give them an incentive to hold out for a simultaneous release, they can just give them a discount on game licencing. Shave of 2-3 bucks on the licence, and thats an easy $10 mill saved for R*.

There are also several reason for why R* would want to delay both titles even if one was more ahead of the other (regardless of financial subsidies from [Console Manufacturer]), if one platform is delayed, you have to spend more money on advertising (or if you choose not to spend more, your loosing the effect that marketing during a simulataneous release would have given you)

haha

the distinction is that dj's "rumor" that MS held it up due to a "super-secret compression :cool::p" method to overcome the DVD is akin to saying that R*'s Lead was was abducted by aliens, hence the delay. :LOL: :p

edit: that's not to say that compression isn't an issue just that the rumor was written in ridiculous fanboy-speak.

Maybe you should read the thread before hitting reply and quoting me, I never mentioned nor alluded to some compression theory.

What PR´s do we believe, those that fit our needs or those that don´t ?

We have seen 2 these past few days, and it looks like those that favor Sony aren´t really worth beliving while those that favor Microsoft seems legit..

I´m so surprised :)

We have seen 2 these past few days, and it looks like those that favor Sony aren´t really worth beliving while those that favor Microsoft seems legit..

I´m so surprised :)

What have you seen the 2 past days that favor Sony?

What have you seen the 2 past days that favor Sony?

The rumor that the problem with GTA4 is that it doesn't fit on a DVD9 and some kind of advanced compression tech is expected to be supplied by Microsoft.

What I find implausible in it? This supposed advanced compression tech is either ready and working, in which case it can probably be applied to the game assets for maybe a month (if everything needs to be manually reviewed to set a compression level per-asset), which would not be a reason for a 6-month delay, OR it must be still in the labs - in which case it would be unclear if it would EVER do the job, even after a 6-month delay.

Besides, Rockstar are experienced console developers - people who know how to work on a memory/disc budget. They knew they were targeting the 360 all the time. There's no way a team such as this would suddenly go "oops??? we overshot, the game is 18 Gigs now, call the MS compression ninjas".

Last edited by a moderator:
The rumor that the problem with GTA4 is that it doesn't fit on a DVD9 and some kind of advanced compression tech is expected to be supplied by Microsoft.

you dont think they'll use the tech captured from the crashed alien ships do you? I thought they'd save that until at least twenty twelve.

You mean "some kind of MAGICAL compression tech"? ;-)

I seriously doubt that's the case, and even if it isn't, there has to be shitloads you can cut from. Heck, you could even go as far as to strip out some of the side quest missions of which there are surely plenty of, and save on dialogue and whatnot.

Despite what the press release says, I'm sure it's got SOMETHING to do with the PS3 version. But then again I'm just as sure that's only half the truth. From what I've heard and read in various articles, the game was far from finished in July. For such an ambitious game I wouldn't be too surprised if they've just overestimated themselves, and they've reached a point where there's sort of no turning back - there's just SO much in the game that it'll take ages just to polish everything.

Oh well, that's just my n cents.

What I find implausible in it? This supposed advanced compression tech is either ready and working, in which case it can probably be applied to the game assets for maybe a month (if everything needs to be manually reviewed to set a compression level per-asset), which would not be a reason for a 6-month delay, OR it must be still in the labs - in which case it would be unclear if it would EVER do the job, even after a 6-month delay.

Besides, Rockstar are experienced console developers - people who know how to work on a memory/disc budget. They knew they were targeting the 360 all the time. There's no way a team such as this would suddenly go "oops??? we overshot, the game is 18 Gigs now, call the MS compression ninjas".

And according to tkf and todd this is just as plausible as the PS3 being behind development (when all that has been shown is X360 builds).

Apparently only reason why we believe the analyst over the Anti-MS blogger, is because we like the analysts theory better.

It has nothing to do with the whole, "alien technology" compression method that MS supposedly has. Ironically, this alien technology would be a much bigger dent into the whole PS3 vs X360 war rather than the real news (since it would negate bluray)

Oh give me a break toddster.

First of all, PR is not a 'rumour', it's PR. And I'm not even aware what others you're referring too.

My comment to Arwin was with regards to PR, and how it is worthless. I never made any comments about which rumour's he chooses to believe, simply that holding up a PR statement as proof of something is ridiculous.

These are two completely different issues, maybe you need to think a little longer before you post.

What need would that be? I'm not stuck in a stupid console war mentality look most of you seem to be. I have no need to defend/attack a piece of plastic.

I simply commented on the fact that I have been wondering for sometime about the state of the PS3 version of GTA, given that we have not seen it. And have stated a few times I think it may be delayed, now it has been.

So, I'm not surprised that it's being rumoured as the cause of delay, that goes along with what my gut feeling has been for a while.

What irony?

You're kidding me, right? Now all of a sudden Pachter's worth a grain of salt? :rolleyes:

Meaning what exactly? That the 360 was the lead platform? Do you realise how big the delay even is? There are thousands of good reasons for a delay, and seriously, if any of those were related to the PS3 exclusively, it would be the smallish installbase as much as anything else.

Instead, though, they have indicated that they want this to be the best in the series, something that stands out, and it's going to be their last GTA. And from what I've seen so far, and given the size of the game as it is typically, and thinking of the attention that even the PSP version got, then no, I don't think the delay is surprising.

What is surprising is the silliness of people at times. :rolleyes:

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/05/02/xbox-360-cant-handle-all-of-gta-iv/

Apparently the lack of a built-in Blu-ray or HD-DVD drive in the Xbox 360 means that the year and a half old console is already starting to feel growing pains. In an interview with Official PlayStation Magazine, Rockstar creative VP Dan Houser was asked, "On PS3 you've got a guarantee that every machine is going to have a hard-drive and, with Blu-ray, you've got plenty of storage, whereas on Xbox 360 there's no guarantee of a hard-drive and you're working with the DVD format. Does that create limitations?" His answer? "Yep."

Sorry if this have beedn postted before.

My guess, the reason for the delay is because, they have to take the time to try to crammed everything into the smaller DVDs. This can be quiet a pain for them.

And you're wrong. :LOL:

In an interview with Xbox Assimilation Magazine a rockstar dev, who chose to remain nameless, working on the PS3 version had this to say "Honestly I can't see how we've gotten anything done on this thing. Without the Sony support people i dont think we'd be able to program our way out of a paper bag with the development tools Sony has supplied."

see!

And you're wrong. :LOL:

Ok, correct me then, I'm all ear:smile:

I'm not saying it's 100% fact. I'm just saying that, it is possible that, the lack of standard HDD in the 360 and the limited DVD format could cause the delay, because the developer might have to take their time to work around those limitation. I'm not bashing the 360, I'm just stating the possibilities

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back