The old and unwieldy GTA4 thread*

Status
Not open for further replies.
That sucks, I dunno if it has anything to do with getting the game to run on the hdd'less 360 Core version, but it still sucks...

Also now it will go against MGS4 for sales, poor MGS4...
Last time when MGS3 went against GTA they didn't sell so well
sevanig is online now Report Post

Every time they've shown it it's been running on 360 not PS3. Which means 360 version was further along/running better.

Yeah but do to the delay Microsoft might lose that advantage. Letting the PS3 version catch up and be launched at roughly the same time.

I think the delay is only good for both Sony and Microsoft.

Microsoft needs to get rid of the "red ring of death" issue and clean up xbox360's image. This will take more than the months leading into GTA4 release and Xmas sales. Had the GTA4 been released this fall, when the unreliability issues might be hurting sales considerably, releasing a game that's expected to be a system seller might not have had the desired impact.

Sony has the image of an expensive console to get rid of.

Bot have a very strong line-up of games for this fall and Christmas season.
They both already have almost too many great games and big names, especially new franchises they hope to become "the next GTA", to be released. GTA4 would only hurt their sales and vice versa.

I believe it was a marketing reason as much as technical reasons the game was delayed. Maybe even more so.

So, the delay was not good only for Sony and MS, but for the whole industry.

Hands up who didn't see this one coming.

I knew it was going to be delayed when they announced to the day when they were going to release it:LOL:

All GTA3-derivatives were delayed by two weeks.. every single one of them I think. This time they just upped the ante :)

Very good news, i think the trailers exposed a game that had to many framerate issues.

And i guess Sony must be jumping up and down with joy, i know a few people that have GTA4 as their first Console purchase in this generation. The PS3 price would have turned many of them towards the XBOX 360. If Sony can manage to reduce the price on the PS3 before GTA4 it will really help them.

But as someone mentioned, Spring release really takes the hot air out of this as a system seller.

Very good news, i think the trailers exposed a game that had to many framerate issues.

I never saw a framerate issue and a few people keep bringing it up. People do realize that bit rate/codec used effects how smooth a video looks right? What i saw so far was smooth as silk.

I never saw a framerate issue and a few people keep bringing it up. People do realize that bit rate/codec used effects how smooth a video looks right? What i saw so far was smooth as silk.

Ehmm i saw both trailers on the PS3, i find it hard to believe that they should be special in anyway compared to other games that obviously doesn´t have framerate issues. And i guess i´m not the only one that thinks so.

http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=428

The second point was the slightly choppy framerate. It never got to the point where it dipped into the single digits or became a slideshow--certainly it never seemed like it would interfere with gameplay--but the on-screen action was a little sluggish. This can actually be briefly glimpsed in the trailers, such as when the camera pans around Niko at the end of the second teaser.

That is a very diplomatic way of putting it.

I just think the game is too huge, intricate, and vast and R* maybe overshot the timeline. This is the main reason for the delay, I am sure making the game run great on both the PS3 and 360 added to this delay somewhat as well.

Sheesh. Has anyone else seen this?

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=27326

Michael Pachter theorising on the reason for the delay. (In a nutshell: PS3 development causing headaches, contractual obligations to Sony mean the 360 version cannot be released before the PS3...)

It didn't strike me as very likely but I'm happy to hear other views.

That's messed up. Either they both ship at the same or they don't ship at all?

Here come the conspiracy theories. :rolleyes:

Tommy McClain

I don't see how this can be spun to be anything other than horrible news for MS.

GTAIV was a huge part of their holiday lineup, and it was that lineup that they expected to propel 360 sales along with the $50 price drop.

Remove the strength of the lineup and the size of the price drop becomes a factor.

In short, without GTAIV MS may no longer move the number of 360s they had projected without sacrificing another price cut.

Out of curiousity, is anyone really surprised by this? Delays seem much more the norm compared to games shipping on time anyways, double-so with AAA titles.

I don't see how this can be spun to be anything other than horrible news for MS.

GTAIV was a huge part of their holiday lineup, and it was that lineup that they expected to propel 360 sales along with the $50 price drop.

Remove the strength of the lineup and the size of the price drop becomes a factor.

In short, without GTAIV MS may no longer move the number of 360s they had projected without sacrificing another price cut.

How is it any more horrible news for MS than Sony? That's bizzare reasoning..

One could also state that 360 has Halo 3 (Plus Mass Effect and Bioshock) to make up for this, while PS3 does not have a title that will be such a big seller.

The only reasoning I've heard on this that makes good sense is if Sony can get PS3 to 399 by the time GTA releases, and that MS is somehow wanting to convert 360 to a mass market machine with GTAIV and lost their chance..

But, if PS3 cant get down to 399 or 499 by the time GTA releases, isn't that totally moot? And how is even 399 a mass market price point for PS3 if it's not for 360? The logic has a lot of holes in it..

Also, it's rumored MS will be doing another price cut in November regardless in conjunction with 65nm. Has nothing to do with no GTAIV.

Out of curiousity, is anyone really surprised by this? Delays seem much more the norm compared to games shipping on time anyways, double-so with AAA titles.

Mass Effect, Assasins Creed, Halo 3, Heavenly Sword..are examples of triple AAA titles shipping on time.

It's not really a matter of "on time" it's a matter of feel..any of the above titles could get delayed, but some are almost unfathomably unlikely to. Halo 3, for example, is rock solid set in stone. Why? Just because, a hundred reasons. Feel. We've heard the game has been done for many months. We have a solid highly hyped release date. We've seen a lot of the game plus a Beta. There's no way Halo 3 is getting delayed.

So basically it just comes down to whether you thought the game would make it's date, and there was no indication GTA wouldn't, so yeah it is a surprise.

Mass Effect, Assasins Creed, Halo 3, Heavenly Sword..are examples of triple AAA titles shipping on time.
Was'nt Mass Effect supposed to be released last christmas, and HS with the Euro-launch, or about?

After the negative E3 impressions with bad framerate, painfully pop-ups of textures and objects and other general unpolished gameplay I was totally expecting a delay. But not 6 months! :cry:

The good things is that Sony has deployed SPU-coders to help save the day and MS some help too so it should be working out nicely on both platforms.

From what has been seen, I wouldn't be surprised to see Assassin's Creed slip again. It looked really rough at E3.

I'd prefer delays to rushed games. I can't help but wonder how much better some games would be if they 'baked' a bit longer.

Sheesh. Has anyone else seen this?

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=27326

Michael Pachter theorising on the reason for the delay. (In a nutshell: PS3 development causing headaches, contractual obligations to Sony mean the 360 version cannot be released before the PS3...)

It didn't strike me as very likely but I'm happy to hear other views.

Look at open world games this generation

Oblivion, a year later on PS3, still can't fit all DLC in ram / Fine on 360
Crackdown / Fine on 360
Mercenaries 2: PS3 lead sku, only video of it being played was at GDC on the 360 /
Saint's Row, quietly swept under the rug by THQ with nary a PS3 shot. / Fine on 360
Burnout Paradise, PS3 lead sku, delayed twice already into 2008.
Two Worlds, Only version shown playable is 360, no PS3 version footage available

I believe this.

Tough to say who this benefits.

On one hand, MS now has an extremely solid holiday lineup, littered with exclusive titles, most AAA but can't play the "Halo 3 and GTA4: only on 360" card this holiday season. However they can play it next year. Also, apparently the first excuslive episodes will still be ready by the time of release (or thereabouts) so the 360 version will be superior almost immediately, rather than 6 months later (all else being equal of course). Those who are going to buy a PS3 anyway, now have one less reason to buy one this year, and may now wait for further price relief or switch to 360.

Ont he other, Sony now has a perfect storm of their own next year with the release of MGS and GTA4 and can play their own version of "MGS and GTA: only on PS3" 2Q of next year. They may be able to have another relevant price drop before then so the disparity of between the cost for entry for GTA on both platforms might not be as large as it would have this year.

Personally i do think its a bit worse for PS3 since they just need to start stockpiling some reasons for the Sony faithful to jump on board. Going into this holiday without GTA, even multiplatform, hurts them because it keeps existing PS2 owners on the sidelines. Without this, there isnt a lot of familiar content to bring those existing owners over.

I would look at it differently. This year, the most appealing title for potential PS3 buyers where GTA4. GTA4 was\is pretty much the only game coming this year that would steal Halo 3 thunder.

(Yes, before 10 fanboys jump in and tell me about uncharted and HS and whatever, im aware of those titles, but those are brand new IP's, they just don't have enough hype compared to a game like GTA4. )

What will Sony show on commercials this holiday? What? HS? Uncharted? Home?
Sony has nothing that big in terms of hype, imo.
(Disclaimer: Im not saying PS3's offerings suck, im talking about hype).

The marketing budget for Halo3 is probably around $50 million, because GTA is now gone, this year will be all about Halo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back