The Official RV630/RV610 Rumours & Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It goes like this: low end, midrange, performance, high end.

Performance is $200-300
High end is 300+.
There is no upper limit to high end. If ATI releases a dualcore R600 with 2 gig ram for $1200, then it doesnt mean that you have to redefine all the ranges so they are evenly proportioned.

Hmm. I think I'd define high-end as $399 and up. Performance as $251-$398. And mid-range as $129-249. ATI the last couple gens has tried to "pinch" the classic midrange $199-249 price point from above and below, rather than head on (Think X700 and X800XL).

Part of what should be interesting to see this gen, is how much toleration there is in the channel and some OEMs for "Crazy Dave and Wacky Jen-Hsun's Bargain Basement Bin" last-gen SKUs in some of the traidtional mainstream price points ($199-299). That was a bit easier to sell, I think, when it was all DX9. . . I'm not sure that's going to fly as well this time. The GS, GTO, GTO2 kind of deals. There will be some, no doubt, but I'm not sure it will be met with as much enthusiasm as in the past.

Hmm. I think I'd define high-end as $399 and up. Performance as $251-$398. And mid-range as $129-249. ATI the last couple gens has tried to "pinch" the classic midrange $199-249 price point from above and below, rather than head on (Think X700 and X800XL).

That's exactly how I define the major segments as well. Those are the points where you get significant gains by stepping up into the higher bracket.

If "the ASIC has a problem" it would need a respin, and 4 week for a respin is simply not enough.
Anyway, according to the INQ even G84/G86 "need a respin".

I wonder if they know what a respin involve.

I think now that Inq is reporting that G86 will need a respin its time for Fuad to up the ante and report that RV630 needs two respins and is delayed till Fall. At this point, I am sure Inq will report that G86 has been cancelled ouright and Faud will have nowhere to go but declare that RV630 never really existed and AMD is actually a front for Illinois Nazis.

I think now that Inq is reporting that G86 will need a respin its time for Fuad to up the ante and report that RV630 needs two respins and is delayed till Fall. At this point, I am sure Inq will report that G86 has been cancelled ouright and Faud will have nowhere to go but declare that RV630 never really existed and AMD is actually a front for Illinois Nazis.

That was awesome. :p :LOL:

I thought it was launching middle-end of may too. As for availability awhile after that (ramping), what else is new?

You mean the news is a load of bullocks?

Yes, I'm quite positive on that, I mean, it's been since forever when they were rumored, and later confirmed, to be 65nm, and changing from 80nm to 65nm requires a lot more than 90 > 80nm for example, since 65nm is completely new node.

Fudo made similar comments. It would seem that RV610 has the winning combination of price, features and power consumption, and to some degree performance, although OEMs generally don't care about anything over "good enough".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back