The Official RV630/RV610 Rumours & Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, although ATi has always had a lead in 05. Not sure if that handicap would carry over to the new generation though.

the handicap I don't think will carry over in this one, of course there is a 8600 ultra probably to contend against though, but I still think the rv630xt will still have the upper hand.

One question remains: what will the NV and ATI do with potential 256-bit variants? It seems like there is potential to squeeze something in along those lines.

rv630eo5.jpg

The rv630 on 65nm looks bigger than G84 on 80nm, no cost advantage again?, and expensive 256bit bus and dual slot cooling for slightly faster performance, deja vu.... :cry: (maybe this is not a rv630?)

From user side 256bit version welcome, but now from business side the things looks suxx.

Last edited by a moderator:
vertex_shader: RV630 and 256bit mem-bus? Are you sure? :smile:

Not sure of course,vrzone write here its a rv630xt , there is some rv630 picture too (there is a rv630 sticker in the PCB), so maybe its a cheaper x2900 version xl/gt/gto/pro, and not a 256bit rv630xt :smile:

The rv630 on 65nm looks bigger than G84 on 80nm, no cost advantage again?, and expensive 256bit bus and dual slot cooling for slightly faster performance, deja vu.... :cry: (maybe this is not a rv630?)

From user side 256bit version welcome, but now from business side the things looks suxx.
1. Its almost similar in size to G84
2. There are some dual-slot G84s too
3. Its not 256-bit

Its confusing because first you complained about performance and now you're complaining about die-size and its 256-bit .. :LOL:

1. Its almost similar in size to G84
2. There are some dual-slot G84s too
3. Its not 256-bit

Its confusing because first you complained about performance and now you're complaining about die-size and its 256-bit .. :LOL:

Because i not talking from user aspect only.
I not have any problem with dual slot coolers (not even in mainstream),heat go away from the case its the better solution when the user have free pci-e slot left for the cooler ;)

Similiar die size with lower process technology not looks to awesome when we check the rumors so far: slow performance,in midrange too high power consuption, from the pictures looks like the core too big, and PCB too long (looks longer than 8600gts PCB ), 0-4, but its just rumors, i not take any rumor serious, but we have somthing to talk about :smile:

Similiar die size with lower process technology not looks to awesome
Similar die size with a lower process technology should look awesome as technically AMD can pack in "more" and still remain price competitive.

when we check the rumors so far: slow performance,in midrange too high power consuption, from the pictures looks like the core too big, and PCB too long (looks longer than 8600gts PCB ), 0-4, but its just rumors, i not take any rumor serious, but we have somthing to talk about :smile:
You're back to slow performance again, sigh ..

Similar die size with a lower process technology should look awesome as technically AMD can pack in "more" and still remain price competitive.
I wouldn't assume 80nm and 65nm wafers at TSMC are similarly priced.

As I mentioned in the R600 thread, I believe AMD/ATI has a clear winner in their hands on this round.
However, it's on what I believe to still even smaller market than highend - the HTPC's.
RV6xx's are just the ultimate solution for them, dedicated video engine separated from the 3D engine, audio controller built in, so all you need is RV6xx card and you'll get both the audio and video via HDMI to your TV/Amplifier/whatever with no extra cables required, and the performance of RV630 is rumored to be fine too.

That's assuming the onboard audio device is enough good, which it probably might not be, at least for everyone..

That's assuming the onboard audio device is enough good, which it probably might not be, at least for everyone..
Why wouldn't it be? It's just a controller that passes along a digital signal. The quality burden still rests with your TV or AV receiver. This should be preferable to having to use SP/DIF passthrough, and analog host decoding should still be available if the users prefer for the computer/soundcard to do that work rather than their other equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back