The Official, Long Awaited, TV Shows Thread

Sadly one of the cases where Thunderf00t goes off half-cocked attacking the wrong point.

The risk wasn't that the ~200tons of molten & burning Uranium core (+ carbon + zircon etc) would make a nuke explosion but that most of it might drop in one blob into the 20,000ton bubbler pool causing a massive flash steam explosion which would then take a significant portion of the core up into the atmosphere in small particles and then be spread across Europe.

And that was clearly stated as the problem in the show.

To elaborate on this issue the fact that the western world first learned about this disaster in the early morning on the 28th of April 1986 due to an alarm going off 1,100 kilometers away at the Forsmark nuclear power plant in Sweden speaks volume about what the disaster could have turned into. Radiation (and pollution in general) don't care about borders (hello global warming and plastic).

The Swedes were afraid they had a disaster on their hands at their plant but first after a thorough analysis of the radioactive particles could they determine the Soviet origins of the radiation.

36 hours after the initial explosion of the core they ordered the evacuation of Pripyat and the surrounding areas.

Last edited:
Lost, season 4. Since the previous season I feel like they are showing filler stuff that wasn't initially planned. At first it seemed that most flashbacks were just before the plane crash, but then other flashbacks followed in season 3 with substantially different things.

At any rate, I'm having fun. The plot is ok and I'm enjoying quite a few emotional moments. And god, I do hate Locke!!

Lost, season 4. Since the previous season I feel like they are showing filler stuff that wasn't initially planned. At first it seemed that most flashbacks were just before the plane crash, but then other flashbacks followed in season 3 with substantially different things.

At any rate, I'm having fun. The plot is ok and I'm enjoying quite a few emotional moments. And god, I do hate Locke!!
Get out now while you can it is not safe aaaaagghhh

Watched both seasons of Knightfall.
Setting of France during the crackdown on the Templars with Holy Grail sub-plot is interesting but the 2nd season felt very different in production value & totally gave up on the Grail plotline.
They seemed to be going for a Jesus bloodline thing with Landry & his bastard with the Queen being the bloodline but then its completely missing from season2 with no explanation.

Setting of France during the crackdown on the Templars with Holy Grail sub-plot is interesting but the 2nd season felt very different in production value & totally gave up on the Grail plotline.
Maybe they spent the bulk of the budget on hiring Mark Hamill?

I've been waiting for S02 to come out on netflix, but now I'm not sure it's worth the wait..

Sorry I probably should have spoilered the Grail bit :oops:
Hamill basically played Yoda with an irish (?) accent & more than a passing resemblance to

Happy Stranger Things Season 3 thread to everyone!

The production value of the series has a lot going for it. Other series could learn a lot from it. They captured the feeling of 1985 without going extra cheesy or horrible style like That 80's Show did. They know how to build up to the story they want to tell without going all out at breakneck pace from the start.

I finished episode 3 which was a good bit of stage setting and in episode 4 they ratchet up the pace. Hopefully I'll still have positive vibe when I finish the entire season.

Couldn't remember most of what happened in first two seasons so I've started watching from S1 again.

They really did a great job with creating the 80s feel.

Winona was such a great casting choice for semi-hinged mother character.

So I'm half way through S3, not a huge fan of where they have gone with it tbh.
Fully Soviet, Red Army Choir playing baddies with AKs, openly talking Russian in the middle of cold war '80s USA :rolleyes: ffs.
Throw in a bit of 'its ok to do torture as long as its US law enforcement', its clear this season got a bunch of backing from the propaganda fund :no:

Side point: a thing that I remember from the first two Series & which stuck out again is bits of the dialogue uses phrases that are 90s or 00ies not '80s eg the bit where 11 is robbing the store with the gang in S2, the line about the stock being insured & the billionaires who own the chain won't be affected.
Nobody really talked about billionaires like that in the '80s, it would have been millionaires or multi-millionaires but that line is basically lifted straight out of Pulp Fiction or similar mid-late '90s movie.

I rather enjoyed that first part there, as my inaccurate memory says it fit in perfectly with the action movies of the 80s, at least how Hollywood portrayed them in films of
Commando and Red Dawn and Rambo 2 and Terminator.

Awesome! Now my life feels empty again
Btw the police dad jumped to the half open gate?

The show deliberately did not show his moment of death

Meh, was not impressed.
Massive Soviet deeeep underground base in the middle of '80s US full of uniform wearing, Red Army choir playing, Russian speaking, AK wielding Soviet soldiers is just totally unbelievable :no:
Yes they were riffing on Soviet characters in US '80s movies but it still makes 0 sense for them to be where they are.

Gristle monster part of the plot was pretty senseless too.
Boris Johnson character was also completely incongruent & I didn't really understand what was going on with the father/mayor (or whatever he was) sub-plot.

I was hoping for some kind of a final proof that the whole thing actually only existed in the kids heads, there had been a lot of hints previously, it'd even explain the Soviet base.
Or was there & I missed it?

Last edited:
I still haven't watched the second season of Stranger Things, is it worth catching up?

Yes and no. The first season felt more mysterious and, well, strange than the two that have followed it. Maybe that's just because it was new, maybe it's for some objective reason - I'm not sure, it's been years since I watched it.

I've enjoyed the second and third seasons, but I also think I could've done without them, and left the shows atmosphere in tact.

I quite enjoyed season 3. The climax was especially good. It also avoided some of the lulls of season 2 (11's running-away-from-home story was one hell of a bore and didn't really go anywhere) and was more consistently entertaining overall.
That said, they really oughta stop now. Really doesn't feel like there's much else to tell. The Duffer Brothers wrung every last drop of water from that particular stone.

Back