The Official, Long Awaited, TV Shows Thread

Re the megaton explosion: I think they talked about this in the podcast where there was a fear that this was going to happen and that they believed it at the time.
I had to stop watching this video because of the tone of the guy, it was just too tiring and not funny at all.

(Maybe spoilers if you know zero about what happened in Chernobyl?)

Not sure. One episode of the show has guys going in the tank to fix something, and the whole horrible and dramatic point of that whole scene and event is that they had to do it in order to avoid the risk of an explosion which “could have been in the megaton range”. Theoretically. Ultimately they fixed whatever needed fixing and the explosion didn’t happen (as we know from history). The guys probably died very soon after because of radiation, hence the drama. So not sure what the problem is.

(Maybe spoilers if you know zero about what happened in Chernobyl?)

Not sure. One episode of the show has guys going in the tank to fix something, and the whole horrible and dramatic point of that whole scene and event is that they had to do it in order to avoid the risk of an explosion which “could have been in the megaton range”. Theoretically. Ultimately they fixed whatever needed fixing and the explosion didn’t happen (as we know from history). The guys probably died very soon after because of radiation, hence the drama. So not sure what the problem is.
if you mean the guys who go down in frogman suits in the dark? those guys lived. if you mean the engineers from the control room who went down to turn a bunch of valves (a job which was futile, it was spraying water into an open, melting core), they died. you saw them in the hospital, actually you only saw one of them who looked like a peeled blood orange, the other one (Akimov) you didn't see

Just watched the season finale of Billions season 4. It is set nicely up for a kick-ass season 5 (series finale?).

Re the megaton explosion: I think they talked about this in the podcast where there was a fear that this was going to happen and that they believed it at the time.
I had to stop watching this video because of the tone of the guy, it was just too tiring and not funny at all.
Sadly one of the cases where Thunderf00t goes off half-cocked attacking the wrong point.

The risk wasn't that the ~200tons of molten & burning Uranium core (+ carbon + zircon etc) would make a nuke explosion but that most of it might drop in one blob into the 20,000ton bubbler pool causing a massive flash steam explosion which would then take a significant portion of the core up into the atmosphere in small particles and then be spread across Europe.

And that was clearly stated as the problem in the show.

Like the new Jessica Jones season so far ...

Also watched Gran Hotel with the missus ... it’s basically just another telenovella but I’ve never watched one before and it’s nice to be exposed to some Spanish.

The new Catch-22.

Its very well done but at the end of Episode 3 its shaping up to be just as dreadful as the book :cry:

Dreadful not as in bad writing, dreadful as in the story starts out with funny comedy stuff but gradually more & more horrible stuff keeps happening and it just keeps going on and on getting worse and worse.
I nearly gave up on completing it for a while.

In some ways I'm sad they didn't just leave their S2 commentary with the rip-off scene as a statement 'this is how fucking retarded this show is'.

Catch-22 was a good implementation of the book I think.
Somehow didn't seem to quite do justice to the 'on and on getting worse and worse' bit due to only being 6 episodes but maybe its my memory of the book thats faulty, it was a long time ago that I read it.

Back