The Official, Long Awaited, TV Shows Thread

Nobody talking about Squid Game?

Probably tooo many people talks about it haha.

Quite a good show to watch while working out, working, watering the plants, or cooking. As it have lots and loooooots of really slow moments that doesn't really matter if skipped or watched in glimpses.

Btw anyone watched Goliath? The season one is like a bait and switch.

Season 1 court drama. Season 2 less court drama, more investigation. Season 3 even less court drama, even more investigation, and the visual style changed to grim dark. Season 4 became a more boring westworld, and with an even grimmer and darker color grading.

Season 1 court drama. Season 2 less court drama, more investigation. Season 3 even less court drama, even more investigation, and the visual style changed to grim dark. Season 4 became a more boring westworld, and with an even grimmer and darker color grading.
This probably describes Goliath well. The style certainly became stranger over the seasons. Not sure I'm liking the last season.

It is hard to see any screen adaptation of a well loved book, as your own imagination is often hard to match. When a book says pretty, you fill in what is pretty, etc. And everyone has their own hang ups. I found little wrong with the Foundation myself. I am not one to complain too quickly about physics in Science Fiction as any inter-planetary travel involving multiple humanoid or even any life forms is literally a stretch for my suspension of disbelief so you have to let it go. In that way I could handle the Spore drive in Discovery just fine, as anything like traveling the speed of light is already far fetched, let alone surpassing that. And even at that speed the distances in the universe are ridiculous.

In that way I could handle the Spore drive in Discovery just fine.

Well you clearly have a medical excuse ( j/k ), but Asimov actually established hard sf, where you just don't claim 2 times 9 is one billion.

The details are inconsequential compared to the mutilation of all story concepts in F-word though.

It is hard to see any screen adaptation of a well loved book, as your own imagination is often hard to match. When a book says pretty, you fill in what is pretty, etc.
Yup. Books are such a different medium to TV shows and movies. All of the implicit narration and exposition that takes places in many books needs a different approach when on screen. When you read a book the passage has your full attention. When you put something on screen, it may not have the viewer's full attention. Even if people are actually looking mostly at the screen and not a second screen, there are so many things they may have their attention on instead of what the screen-writer/director wants.

The pacing of many great novel narratives would almost never work on screen.

All of the implicit narration and exposition that takes places in many books needs a different approach when on screen

Yeah right, such as converting a mastermind diplomat in book, who considers use of force as a failure, into a gun swinging gritty-hairstyled young woman with supernatural powers who enjoys giggly tickles in bed with her star-roaming adventurer boyfriend and declares the most famous quote of the book's namesake character to be pussy talk. That's the way to do it!

yeah goliath season 4 has definitely gone surreal, a sure signpost that it's coming to an end (confirmed to be the last season). Really do like the char that BBT plays, and the surreal segments have gotten shorter as the episodes progress, and I feel they will have some significance towards the end.

My theory is that the JK simmons char has orchestrated many of the chars to have worsening conditions, so he is feeding BBT halluncinagentics , possible spiking the female lawyers tea to keep her MS symptoms worse, definitely think he pill-ed up his brother etc

Yeah right, such as converting a mastermind diplomat in book, who considers use of force as a failure, into a gun swinging gritty-hairstyled young woman with supernatural powers who enjoys giggly tickles in bed with her star-roaming adventurer boyfriend and declares the most famous quote of the book's namesake character to be pussy talk.

I've no idea what you're talking about. :???:

If you appreciate Asimov, I suggest you not to investigate any further.
I had to zip back through the reply chains. Foundation. I've not read the books, and I'm not interested in the TV series either!

Crisis averted. :yep2:

His entire "I, Robot" world is FANTASTIC! Asimov changed my life growing up and I'm a better person for it.

He's probably my fave golden age writer, and not many people take a back seat to Heinlein or A.E. van Vogt for me!

whoa! star trek underdecks keeps getting better and better. it even managed to make the overly used "need to save the world" crisis fresh with much more personal stake, cross teams, and a few surprises.

Back