The official EURO 08 thread

The semi will be interesting, there are many Turks living in Germany. Who will they support? :)

I couldn't find any info about the yellow card rule. Anyone know?

Basically, if you have a yellow card previously, an addition one would rule you out next game.

Three players are suspended for Germany match, five I think are on a yellow card. Oh yeah GK is out as well (Volkan the penalty saver)

Germany will walk away with euros. :!:

Basically, if you have a yellow card previously, an addition one would rule you out next game.

Three players are suspended for Germany match, five I think are on a yellow card. Oh yeah GK is out as well (Volkan the penalty saver)

Germany will walk away with euros. :!:

The rest of the yellow cards are scrapped after the quarter finals, so those five will have a clean slate.

Man! What a game!!!! I think we(Turkey) will win the next game with a goal we score just after the refree blows the final whistle :) We are pushing each time!

Not a great game for the purist (neither team had anything like a good striker between them) but a very dramatic ending! I feel that the weakened Turks will probably capitulate to the Germans in the semi - I can't believe how easy that side of the draw is for Germany. Shades of 2002 when they reached the final without really having to do much.

Of course, if the Turks manage to beat Germany, we could be in for a repeat of 2004 with very unfancied Champions!

Looking forward to tomorrow night's game. A few friends are coming round to watch the game before we hit the Town - hope it doesn't go to extra-time and penalties or we'll never make it to the pub! :runaway:

The rest of the yellow cards are scrapped after the quarter finals, so those five will have a clean slate.
Yeah, IIRC they changed the rule to that so that players won't miss the finals or something.

Mariner, at least Turkey attacks. Greece didn't, they only defended. Turkey > Greece IMHO.

I read some more about the yellow card rule. Apparently only single yellow cards are removed after the quarter finals. Looks like Turkey will have at least 3 players quarantined.

I read some more about the yellow card rule. Apparently only single yellow cards are removed after the quarter finals. Looks like Turkey will have at least 3 players quarantined.

Yep, of course. That's why I said. 5 players will have a clean slate. The other 3 are still banned for 1 match. Originally, the cards were removed after the initial group stage, but this way crucial players are available in the final unless they commit some serious foul(s). E.g. Ballack couldn't play in the final 2002 b/c he received a yellow card in the semi final.

Interesting game. They're mostly evenly matched, with Russia having a slight upper hand, like not allowing holes and making sure there is someone to take a pass. Hiddink obviously knows how to counter the Dutch team, and the Dutch team doesn't seem too motivated.

What happened to Holand? Russians owned them... I had a feeling that there is only 1 team on the field with orange guys just watching... even the referee was unable to stop russians.

Anyway yes as I was preparing to post earlier but decided to wait ... the Netherlands have been lucky up to now, and played a fairly predictable strategy. Not surprising they got rumbled.

(Though my prediction of Croatia winning the tournament shows what sort of pocket genius I am at football stuff!).

I still fancy that it won't be a Big Name though. Crap I really hope Turkey don't win it we'd never hear the end of it...

:LOL: all the teams that tried to give some rest to their best players in the last match of the group stage (after they had locked up the group win) have lost in the play-offs. Portugal, Croatia and now the Netherlands :p

im not a football man, but do follow it
my first bet on the euro2008
the TAB was offering great odds on russia so took them
$175 richer, nothing like spending won money as u can do it totally without a conscience :)

spain italy now i think the best bet is 4+ goals in the match $4.30

btw hiddink will prolly get lynched on his return

Absolutely mind staggering performance by Russia :oops:

Incredibly energetic team effort from Russia, constantly pressing and pushing hard the full 120min. With better finishing it could have been 6-1!!
I was amazed at how fast they could switch from attack to defence and vice versa always having many players near the ball and their attackers made the Dutch defence look pathetic. Russia's number 10 was absolutely amazing!.

Back