The official EURO 08 thread

StefanS

meandering Velosoph
Veteran
Nomen est omen.

1st half into the Euro. Czech vs. Switzerland 0:0. So far a rather mew game...

Switzerland is getting robbed, Czech republic has been overly defensive and played boring football. Sorry to see Frei injured so early.

Edit: It's over, Czech republic won but didn't really deserve it.

Switzerland is getting robbed, Czech republic has been overly defensive and played boring football. Sorry to see Frei injured so early.

Edit: It's over, Czech republic won but didn't really deserve it.

Yep, the Swiss team didn't get a deserved penalty as well. 2nd half was better than the first, though...

I am rooting for Portugal too. If Greece wins again, I will destroy a medium-sized country.

Looks like an interesting line-up of games today.

I've picked Germany in lots of discussions. Interested to see how they do. But I've also picked Holland, France and Italy - I guess I'm risk averse. With Spain as dark-horses (aren't they always). Oh and Portugal too.

*Goes back to 'Be Decisive in Ten Easy Steps'.*

I've picked Germany in lots of discussions. Interested to see how they do. But I've also picked Holland, France and Italy - I guess I'm risk averse. With Spain as dark-horses (aren't they always). Oh and Portugal too.

so youve picked everyone then

Portugal did well last night, though their first half wasn't as good as their second half. They had some amazing shots that didn't go in, so they could have won by 4 or 5 nil.

Portugal did well last night, though their first half wasn't as good as their second half. They had some amazing shots that didn't go in, so they could have won by 4 or 5 nil.

Yeah they would be a top contender, if they had a decent goal keeper. Ricardo is definitely one of the weak links in the team.

In other news, our (Austria's) coach has gone completely bonkers and lets our side play with 3 defenders. so we're playing 3-5-2...

Too soon to say - most of the 'big' teams have yet to play.

I didn't see the Portugal/Turkey game last night but I've watched all the other games and can't say I've been overly impressed with any team yet.

Germany have got by far the easiest half of the draw so, barring disaster, have a good chance to get to the Final. The centre of their defence is very slow though and I think the better sides will exploit this.

We'll have to see how France, Italy, Spain and Holland get on over the course of the next few days. Though Spain will almost certainly implode as usual.

As an Englishman, it is quite refreshing not to have to endure all the media hype about how 'our boys' (i.e. overrated and underperforming millionaires who don't give a toss) have a chance of winning it. We should really have qualified for the finals (a decent manager other than that Clownshoe McClaren would have done it!) but at least this time we don't have to look forward to losing to Portugal on penalties in the quarter-finals!

there's more to a goal keeper than penalty saving. Take Goycochea for example. He was a real penalty killer, but he had real problems with catching crosses, etc. Ricardo 's ability with cross passes is also pretty abysmal, TBH.
I agree it isn't the only thing a goalie has to be good at, but I still think you are selling him short.

Anyway, we'll see, if he makes many mistakes, I will publicly say you were right. :)

Contrary to all my expectations, the Netherlands won seriously! If they go on like this, they might make it to the top!

It was a really good match, the opposite of the boring France match. The Netherlands did very well and Italy is on their back foot.

Holland played really well, kept Pirlo and Camoranesi quiet and scored two fantastic breakaway goals. They were comfortable on the ball, interchanging positions like the Holland of old, and quite secure at the back.

I think Italy didn't play anywhere near as badly as the scoreline suggests, the first goal was offside and the other two came from goalline clearances at the other end. A couple of players had a quiet evening but no more drama than that.

France seem to be in trouble though, a lot rests on how much of a gamble Domenech takes in the next two (tough) games. If he plays Nasri from the start and gives him license to roam and pick a pass for Henry or Benzema, they could be alright, but I doubt he will given that he didn't even allow his team to play against Romania.

It's never a good idea to predict after just one game, but I think France could struggle to get out of this group.

I think Italy didn't play anywhere near as badly as the scoreline suggests, the first goal was offside and the other two came from goalline clearances at the other end. A couple of players had a quiet evening but no more drama than that.

Bizarre it may be, but technically it seems the first goal was not offside. The player that had "left" the field i.e. lying clutching his face behind the goalline is still counted as active.

Bizarre it may be, but technically it seems the first goal was not offside. The player that had "left" the field i.e. lying clutching his face behind the goalline is still counted as active.

That's what they're saying, to cover the mistake :D

The laws state that the only case where Panucci should be considered as an active defender is if he deliberately stepped off the field to play offside - in which case it's an automatic yellow card too :D

It's either a horrendous mistake by the officials, or... a horrendous mistake by the officials ;)

Back