The non-standard game interfaces discussion thread (move, voice, vitality, etc.)

The base idea yes. But Nintendo can tie it to WiiFit to provide healthy eating advices for example. A company can always package a product uniquely by leveraging on its strengths.

Its actually why I skipped out on the move. I own the ps eye (what a waste of money that was) and its not worth it to me to buy it , it would have been great if they priced the controller cheaper but they didn't. I'm not convinced yet that the move will stick around much longer than the ps eye did.

Move should be around for a long long time. Unless it gets supplanted by a different motion control scheme. But I don't see that happening either. Rather it being enhanced by additional forms of motion control.

At this point Sony most likely views it as do or die. Unlike PSeye which was a controller experiement, Move is a (pardon the pun) a move to keep up with both Nintendo and Microsoft.

Considering that PS3 still trails both despite gains in Japan and Wii coming down to earth in the US, Sony cannot allow both to offer features unavailable on their platform. So there's obviously going to be a lot more company support behind the peripheral.

And you can see it in the how fast it's uptake has been. Developer's patching in support in key older games is also an indication of commitment going forward.

As well their more conservative approach (going for existing owners first, expanding userbase secondary) shows how they view this as a key element of their console going forward. As well how much they wanted to make sure it succeeded before taking a riskier move that may or may not have cemented its place as a standard gaming peripheral.

In short, Move isn't going anywhere. If move is allowed to go by the wayside, that would mean Sony has abandoned the console business. And I don't think anyone thinks Sony is about to let that happen. :)

Regards,
SB

At this point Sony most likely views it as do or die. Unlike PSeye which was a controller experiement, Move is a (pardon the pun) a move to keep up with both Nintendo and Microsoft.

Considering that PS3 still trails both despite gains in Japan and Wii coming down to earth in the US, Sony cannot allow both to offer features unavailable on their platform. So there's obviously going to be a lot more company support behind the peripheral.

Unlikely that Sony sees Move as a do or die. If so, they'd have bundled Move into PS3. At least EU would get a real game bundled with Move. ^_^ They are only seeing this as an additional source of income since Wii couldn't capture a large segment of core gamers; and MS's Kinect has some inherent challenges in core gaming.

So far, Sony openly admitted that they hope a percentage of Wii gamers would upgrade to PS3 due to HD. As long as the motion gaming area keeps getting consumer attention, they will stick around. If motion gaming falls out of favor, they'd fallback on their PS3 Does Everything (or rather PS3 Can Do Some Other Things) mantra.

The set of peripherals will get their due upgrade as Sony plot their "next big thing" (e.g., We heard rumors of PSEye going 3D)

At this moment, they may be panicking (more) from both GT5 and LBP 2 missing their schedules. Those 2 events would cost Sony heavily in terms of momentum and income end of this year.

They are only seeing this as an additional source of income since Wii couldn't capture a large segment of core gamers; and MS's Kinect has some inherent challenges in core gaming.

So far, Sony openly admitted that they hope a percentage of Wii gamers would upgrade to PS3 due to HD. As long as the motion gaming area keeps getting consumer attention, they will stick around.

I personally believe that this will be the very crux of PS Move's longevity. If dev support for the more traditional hardcore genres of games picks up nicely, particularly amongst the 3rd Party development community then i can see PS Move (or most definitely an evolved version of it) becoming the defacto standard gaming interface for the generations to come across most if not all platforms. Having played with it myself in games like MAG, RE5 and the more Move specific games I believe that the controller shows alot of promise and can greatly enhance the gameplay of the staple core game genres that the majority of PS360 users love. After playing MAG's Move implementation in particular, i just don't think i can play another FPS without pointer controls.

Sony needs to get MOVE patched into the next COD game or big FPS/TPS. If they can do that then they will have a winner on their hands that will outlast both Kinect and the Wii.

I personally believe that this will be the very crux of PS Move's longevity...

Only if Sony executes well. ^_^

They are lacking in the integrated experience. The Move controller is still being used in pockets/isolation for same O same O experience. They need to experiment more (e.g., combining RPG with FPS, or RTS with FPS, ...). And at the same time, simplify the UI for more effective gameplay and also non-games.

Schedule management is somewhat abyssal.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/microsoft_move_3gVmAyryJuD6px1dV7LeDP?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=

Microsoft is gearing up for a massive marketing push to launch Kinect -- a controller-free Wii-killer for the Xbox -- and blow away the competition come Christmas.

Backed by a half-billion-dollar budget, the tech giant is rolling out a major movie-style marketing blitz aimed at driving its motion-sensing device to the top of holiday wish lists.
Like a much anticipated summer blockbuster, Kinect will appear on everything from soda cans to cereal boxes and will span television, magazines and the Internet.

The company began planning the launch 18 months ago with the help of Hollywood producer Steven Spielberg.

"Kinect is the largest, most integrated marketing initiative in Xbox history, bigger than its launch," said Robert Matthews, general manager of global marketing communications for Xbox. "We are going to be spending millions to launch this globally."

Microsoft launched Xbox in July 2000 with a $500 million marketing campaign, but part of that went to subsidies to make the hardware more affordable.

This time around Microsoft has struck a promotional partnership with Burger King. Four million cans of Pepsi and Diet Pepsi will plug Kinect, along with 60 million cereal and snack boxes from Kellogg's.

Kinect will take over YouTube's home page and have a big presence on Nickelodeon and Disney digital properties. Microsoft, with the help of its ad agency, McCann Erickson, is spending ad dollars in places it doesn't normally to target moms as well as kids.

TV spots, created by AgencyTwoFifteen, will pop up on ABC's "Dancing with the Stars" next Monday and on Fox's "Glee."

The print ad buy includes titles such as "People" and "InStyle," among others. Microsoft's Xbox team is also organizing a major outdoor event in Times Square, where many of the huge billboards will show Kinect ads.

The new device will face off against many other rivals, including the just launched Sony PlayStation Move bundle and perennial favorite Nintendo Wii.

The launch should help goose an industrywide slowdown in both video game hardware and software.

Only if Sony executes well. ^_^

They are lacking in the integrated experience. The Move controller is still being used in pockets/isolation for same O same O experience. They need to experiment more (e.g., combining RPG with FPS, or RTS with FPS, ...). And at the same time, simplify the UI for more effective gameplay and also non-games.

Schedule management is somewhat abyssal.

I solidly agree Patsu... i would expect that Sony would start expanding their existing first party development studios to start experimenting with brand new experiences/genres that better integrate the MOVE control scheme. I do think however that it would be foolish for us to expect them to have these kinds of experiences ready for the launch of the product given that many of their existing studios are already working on sequels to their current AAA traditional games.

I agree also though that Sony should not sit around and wait for 3rd parties to carry MOVE along. Although i'd say that getting them to patch in MOVE controls for an "enhanced" version of big-selling multiplatform franchises very much SHOULD be a priority for them also.

On a side note though, we still don't know what quite a few of Sony's 1st party devs are working on; e.g. Studio London, Cambridge, Sony Bend etc... If anything these very technically capable studios that have had proved their worth with big production games in the past, are certainly the best candidates for Sony to employ in the crafting of brand new, "designed from the ground up" Move titles that will cement the possibilities of the controller in every gamers mind.

If i was Sony i'd be throwing my money at these guys ready for a big E3 reveal next year (or even before :D).

IOn a side note though, we still don't know what quite a few of Sony's 1st party devs are working on; e.g. Studio London, Cambridge, Sony Bend etc... If anything these very technically capable studios that have had proved their worth with big production games in the past, are certainly the best candidates for Sony to employ in the crafting of brand new, "designed from the ground up" Move titles that will cement the possibilities of the controller in every gamers mind

Sony Cambridge http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_Superstars

Sony London http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SingStar_Dance

Dang, MS definitely aren't dickin around with this one. I always knew launch was going to be big for Kinect, but dang.

That said, I'm more interested in seeing MS's commitment going forward after launch. For example, will we be seeing monthly launches of new Kinect titles? Or will it be a case of feast and famine? Lots of titles during holidays and then virtually nothing the rest of the time?

That's going to be key in seeing not only how devoted they are to the platform, but also whether it becomes accepted as a common gaming peripheral.

Regards,
SB

Not sure how the Oprah show is run.

If you have been to one of these TV sessions, they usually have someone off-stage to brief, entertain and drum up the live audience (e.g., during advertisement slots, in-between takes).

In sitcoms, if the live audience doesn't laugh, sometimes they will change the script on-the-fly and retake. :D

Not sure how the Oprah show is run.

If you have been to one of these TV sessions, they usually have someone off-stage to brief, entertain and drum up the live audience (e.g., during advertisement slots, in-between takes).

In sitcoms, if the live audience doesn't laugh, sometimes they will change the script on-the-fly and retake. :D

The captured audience "on set" doesn't really matter. It's the perception of the Oprah lemmings that sees the show (edited or not) that matters.

For my part, I'm still not convinced. I am still waiting for a live demo to make a decision.

I was replying to the above posters who sensed that the reaction appeared fake. They are not fake per se but orchestrated.

I see.

I wonder how effective these talk show "advertisements" really are. From what I recall, Kinect has been on the Fallon and Oprah show so far.

I can't ever remember being convinced to buy a product that was presented in this manner.

Back