The Noize

Reverend

Banned
To those who have contributed to the reasons why John has been forced to be strict the past few days, go to the forums at HardOCP, AnandTech or even my site VE. They like your kind of stuff there. Over here, they have less appreciation for your kind of enjoyment.

John and the other B3D guys will probably continue to lock threads and edit your posts so you probably know that you'll not find much enjoyment here.

Thanks and looking forward to your switch to those mentioned sites and for me to participate and indulge in your hobby. I love that kind of enjoyment!

About time too!

I said before that the moderators were getting a bit soft around here, but it seems like its changing back to the way things were. Good to see.

Fuz

Fuz said:
About time too!

I said before that the moderators were getting a bit soft around here, but it seems like its changing back to the way things were. Good to see.

Fuz

Count me in on that also.

You know, "back in the day" the reason i hung around beyond3d was because it was a great site to lurk on for good knowledge about 3D in general.
That, and the members werent so condescending.
But nowadays, there is almost no technically meaningful content here in the forums.
i wonder why?

IMHO, closing the "Since the Nv30 Pic thread is closed..." thread was unnecessary. Sure, I understand the logic behind it, "you can't open a new thread on a closed topic," but when you start to discuss said topic in a civil manner, I think the need to close it is averted.

And, BTW, was the thread "How Cg favors NVIDIA products (at the expense of others)" not "noise"? Looks to me like 12 pages of it... ;)

If you noticed, I asked for it to be closed after 2 pages.

It quickly drifted from (hopefully) a technical discussion to noise.

Of course, scattered throughout those 12 pages are about 2 of useful discussion. I'd still prefer it to be simply 2 pages, though.

Althornin said:
You know, "back in the day" the reason i hung around beyond3d was because it was a great site to lurk on for good knowledge about 3D in general.
That, and the members werent so condescending.
But nowadays, there is almost no technically meaningful content here in the forums.
i wonder why?

I am content with lurking

Hey I got an idea... why don't you guys appeal to forum management to dump anyone(people like myself) who arn't quite up to snap with the few that repute themselves so knowledgeable. Then you could have the forum the way you want to have it. You know maybe you could exchange emails and stuff so no one interups your brilliant insights and ideas ... Then anyone that comes to Beyond 3D only sees what you want them to see.... :rolleyes: This is like a reoccuring nightmare on Beyond 3D forums ... Seems like every once in a while someone starts a fairly useless thread complaining about "the way it used to be".... I have been comming here for some time and I get a strange sense of "de ja vou" when I see it.. Bah now I have contributed to what has to be the most OT + useless thread yet...

Dolemite said:
IMHO, closing the "Since the Nv30 Pic thread is closed..." thread was unnecessary. Sure, I understand the logic behind it, "you can't open a new thread on a closed topic," but when you start to discuss said topic in a civil manner, I think the need to close it is averted.

And, BTW, was the thread "How Cg favors NVIDIA products (at the expense of others)" not "noise"? Looks to me like 12 pages of it... ;)

If I closed every thread with even a smidge of noise in it, then all threads here lately would get closed!

There's been a few times that I felt like hanging a sign over the forums that read, "Note to fanboys of all stripes: P*ss off!!" And, yes, I'm well aware of the irony in me, former 3dfx fanboy deluxe, writing that. 8)

Seriously, if certain people would stop *always* defending one IHV while *always* attacking the other, these forums would be in much better shape.

Well, if you're gonna get heavy handed about it, I think you have to apply some reasonable and consistent standard.

Like I said, in a certain way I understand why the 2nd NV30 pic thread was closed, but I don't agree. Mainly I think that topic bears investigating (I hope that still happens, BTW) and I wanted a place to discuss it. I'm sure Ben will come through for us with the word from nVidia...and maybe we can loosen the reins enough for him to post that... :rolleyes:

You know, it shouldn't be so difficult to have two password levels assigned to profiles. The generic level that is assigned upon membership and one that B3D could assign after the requester answer technical questions of some sort to establish his/her credentials. In the same sense that a moderator password goes beyond the standard password.

The second password would be used to post in certain technical forums like the Art and Coding one that was setup for less noise. I'm sure that this would increase the signal to noise ratio. As I understand it, this would be what B3D is currently looking for and reduce moderator overhead in the long run.

Going further, shouldn't it be possible for B3D to grade the person's response to the question and then attach that grade(level) to their profile. This could be used as a filterable item. So then when someone wants to read the forums on technical merit, they could just filter out everyone below a certain technical level. Much less noise that way.

Just a couple thoughts to help out.

D. Beard

why don't you guys appeal to forum management to dump anyone(people like myself) who arn't quite up to snap with the few that repute themselves so knowledgeable

You've got the wrong idea. I don't think anybody here has a problem with someone who isn't 'in-the-know' about the technical aspects of the topics being discussed in the forum. The problem is when every topic becomes a flame war against/for a certain company. You only need to look at a few of the larger threads to get an idea of how stupid the situation has gotten. Statements like "Common sense is lacking here on a grand scale" or "If you don't see this you are a fool" is the noise they are talking about.

Anyway, I wouldn't like a level, rating, or some other 'elitist' type system. I like the forum system the way it is. There are many people who jump into discussions with something interesting to contribute without having posted anything before. The current system can works fine on many other message forums, and strict moderating can deal with the fanboy piss matches. I don't see any need to change how the posting system works.

dbeard said:
You know, it shouldn't be so difficult to have two password levels assigned to profiles. The generic level that is assigned upon membership and one that B3D could assign after the requester answer technical questions of some sort to establish his/her credentials. In the same sense that a moderator password goes beyond the standard password.

The second password would be used to post in certain technical forums like the Art and Coding one that was setup for less noise. I'm sure that this would increase the signal to noise ratio. As I understand it, this would be what B3D is currently looking for and reduce moderator overhead in the long run.

Going further, shouldn't it be possible for B3D to grade the person's response to the question and then attach that grade(level) to their profile. This could be used as a filterable item. So then when someone wants to read the forums on technical merit, they could just filter out everyone below a certain technical level. Much less noise that way.

Just a couple thoughts to help out.

D. Beard

Seems a wee bit exclusionary, doesn't it? Maybe we should start racial profiling as well? ;)

And BTW, sometimes the most well-informed people turn out to be the most biased fanboys. Doomtrooper, Hellbinder, Chalnoth, et al....sorry guys, ;) you do know your stuff though.

I have my preferences and I'm sure that comes through in my posts as well, so I'm not just pointing fingers, but I think somehow we need to find a way to deal with this without the need for excluding people and locking down threads. I have this special ability to ignore things that don't interest me, and I've recently discovered that I'm not the only one blessed with this super power. Still, it would be nice to have fewer things to ignore, and fewer productive discussions go awry.

Maybe we can just all try a bit harder to silence the little f@nboy in all of us... :rolleyes:

Dolemite said:
And BTW, sometimes the most well-informed people turn out to be the most biased fanboys. Doomtrooper, Hellbinder, Chalnoth, et al....sorry guys, ;) you do know your stuff though.

you forgot me!

THEY WILL DELIVER!!!!

there's proof I am a fanboy. now go and add me to that list. :)

LOL! this BBS doesn't allow me to write 'fanboy'. :LOL: it removes that word. :LOL: well, I guess that means I am not ... umm... well, you know :LOL:

dksuiko said:
why don't you guys appeal to forum management to dump anyone(people like myself) who arn't quite up to snap with the few that repute themselves so knowledgeable

You've got the wrong idea. I don't think anybody here has a problem with someone who isn't 'in-the-know' about the technical aspects of the topics being discussed in the forum. The problem is when every topic becomes a flame war against/for a certain company. You only need to look at a few of the larger threads to get an idea of how stupid the situation has gotten. Statements like "Common sense is lacking here on a grand scale" or "If you don't see this you are a fool" is the noise they are talking about.

Anyway, I wouldn't like a level, rating, or some other 'elitist' type system. I like the forum system the way it is. There are many people who jump into discussions with something interesting to contribute without having posted anything before. The current system can works fine on many other message forums, and strict moderating can deal with the <bleep> piss matches. I don't see any need to change how the posting system works.

There finally, I agree entirely. But the problem is people have choices and tastes. If I say I don't like the way the leafs are rendered on ****** GPUs then that makes me a F@nBoy of *** in some way ... I guess. But I think we have made enough "noize" here really though this is way OT. People ought to be able to disagree, its liberating. Besides its almost impossible to avoid be bias.... that is like a scientific fact or something.(In reference to something I took in my liberal arts degree.) Anyhow all we are talking about is graphics cards, you would never know it though judged by how serious some are.

I personally don't mind bias as much as idiocy.

Of course, when you're talking tech talk, bias shouldn't enter much. There aint much opinion in things that can be directly measured.

Its the interpretation of those measurements that opens up a whole new can'o'worms...

Good grief..

I have seen posts from EVERYONE on this site that take one side of a discussion. Even Rev. I suggest just start a new forum area with specific Email only invitation, or requested approval. With Read only rights to the rest of us so we can still gain some valuable insite. Have a "one strike and your out" policy. Its that simple. That way those of you eliete members can have your technotalk without external babble intefering. Personally I would appriciate this, as i get tired of *having* to posts defenses agaisnt the endless stream of misinformation posted by....

Well... you get the idea... ;)

Seriously, think aboiut it. Its a good idea.

RussSchultz said:
I personally don't mind bias as much as idiocy.

Of course, when you're talking tech talk, bias shouldn't enter much. There aint much opinion in things that can be directly measured.

Its the interpretation of those measurements that opens up a whole new can'o'worms...

Is that right? What about ATIs Af on the Radeon 8500? Do you think that their solution is acceptable or no? Does this make you an "idiot" if you think that it is a good solution? Further if you conclude that possibly the NV30 will be late for some reason or other does this also make you an "idiot".... What is your measure here boss? You want to open that can?

Back