The Noize

RussSchultz said:
Perhaps you could put great revenue generating ads on that board, and not care too much about whether they pop-up or not.

Use it to subsidize the rest of the website. ;)

Hmmm good idea. At least I'd have one good reason to visit it then :p

Well, this same problem existed at one time with all the console fanatics in here - why dont we just create another area for 3d company discussion?
Just like we made a console area to get that FUD out.

IMHO "Radeon 9700 Developer Testimonials" is a valid thread, because it is information from one of the IHVs.

I have to say Mea Culpa because I had get into some heated discussions recentelly or in the past which are not purelly technical, but unfortunatelly politics is part of life and is not necesserally bad. The problem is not what you discuss but how do you discuss it, atitude is everything and some people here have a very bad child like atitude and closed mind.

What I really dont like is when people say:
- "WOW NV30 will crush R300" or "WOW R300 will crush NV30" or "X is better than Z" without any fact, data or context.
-when people really and sometimes openly say they are defending one side.
-When people start insulting the other, getting to personell.
-Doing unnecessesary and ofending comments
-Being repetitive and anoying

IMHO one can be a fan as long as have a rational mind, stick to the facts, do not insult anyone and dont do biased and unnecessary coments.

Do you wanna be a fan then be but with atitude.

Whilst I hate the IHV wars and the PR paranoia lets not lose peoples enthusiasm for the hardware either.

I also happen to think DT's R9700 link was totally on-topic.

I'm guessing this is why SimonF has been such an advocate of the /. style threaded forum. :) I can't stand /. forum software, but in instances like these, it has merit.

OT: Radeon9700 thread off-topic?

Hi there,

as some people have replied to my unelegant jab at Doom's latest thread (sorry, it's a hot day and I have a headache), I will take the opportunity to go OT for a moment and try to explain why I consider said thread off-topic.

In one word: focus. Doom's article may be about "hardware" and "technology," but its focus is not on the technology per se, but on one specific product's features. There's nothing in this thread that's fit for a technology-centered discussion. It's a news and info item..

No information about the technology behind the memory interface. No interesting points to discuss regarding FSAA. Nothing much, really, apart from DooM3 footage and specs & features. And I simply don't believe discussions about a VGA's specs and features are what this messageboard is supposed to be about. In the olden days, such discussions were in the minority while people were conducting heated arguments about FSAA implementations, approaches to hardware occlusion culling and the like. I guess I simply prefer such a technology-centered approach. *shrug*

As I've said at the end of my last posting, that's of course only my humble opinion. I can't speak for the board nor its members. I have probably mixed too much of my 3DC-background in, too--we have a graphics chipset forum plus a seperate technology forum: threads such as DT's developer testimonial event or alexsok's PS&VS confirmation info would go in the first, and discussions about technology (rather than features and specs) in the latter. In hindsight I have to say that I might have jumped to conclusions regarding the B3D boards--after all, there IS no "general chipset discussions" board, or a news/information area for people to frequent and post such information. It was probably a leap of faith to consider this "3D Technology and Hardware" forum to be more or less exclusively about technology, and not specs.

Well, anyway. I do apologise for my less-than-clear last posting, and I hope my point of view can be better understood (if not appreciated) thanks to this post. If not, feel free to send me a PM--after all, this is pretty much OT in this thread. ;)

ta,
-Sascha.rb

nggalai,
I dont think you was unelegant. You just have an opinion ;)

But it was personally interresting for me (maybe for other people too) because of the Doom3 part ( I havent seen this part before).
I am very excited by what these next gen DX9 chips will do for us 8)

KnightBreed said:
I'm guessing this is why SimonF has been such an advocate of the /. style threaded forum. :) I can't stand /. forum software, but in instances like these, it has merit.
Hee hee. It's also why I'm an advocate for being able to put scores (+/-) against posts so that you can request to filter the noise (eg. ignore all posts with negative ratings)

Back