The Noize

RussSchultz said:
Somebody should be more regular with their meds.

"Weee" another cheap shot. That the best you can do here, big wheel? Didn't even answer one question. Maybe if you did we could figure out how bias, technically speaking of course, you are.

Entire thread is a complete joke..you know laugh laugh, if anyone remembers the old Dave Barren days here. There is double standards here it appears and I also disagree with Reverends rant about Rage3D and other sites are just flame wars etc, there is alot of intelligent people on those forums and to group all people in that 'you are a idiot' category is very unprofessional.

I'm sorry, next time I'll try to add something more substantative and less fluffy than strange unprovoked attacks about anisotropic filtering quality(!?).

But, since I've been asked:

Q1) I've never commented about the radeon's anisotropic filtering. I've never seen it in action, so I really have no basis to comment. I have no clue why you're asking me about it. (Maybe its some other arch-nemesis that has offended you in such a way?)
Q2) If you've got some facts the rest of us don't have that you're basing your predictions on, I'm terribly sorry about offending you. However, you seem to pull these predictions out of nowhere, with zero to back them up when called to the table.

So, next you say I'm biased, which I'm just a little lost on also. Care to show some examples where I'm bagging on your favorite vendor of choice? I don't think you can--because I don't. I'm not here to champion any product. I'm here to talk about the technical side of things, and hopefully learn things while I'm here.

Perhaps idiocy wasn't the word I was looking for. More like irrationality. There are folks here that show...complete irrationality...when discussing these things. These strange and distorted dislikes, offenses, and victories are just baffling to me. How some things can apply to one product(by one manufacturer), but not the other is just foreign to me.

Look, Doomtrooper, I said that there are other places where some folks may find more enjoyment in posting the kind of stuff they post. I never mentioned the word "idiot" anywhere. It is different strokes for different folks. You want to call these folks "idiots" that's up to you... I'm just saying these folks are in the wrong forum over here.

There are two kinds of folks here - those interested in talking about 3D Technology and those that are interested in talking about 3D Companies. My opinion is that the former is the intention of B3D staff (and we should respect the people that owns this forum). Talking about 3D Companies is not what I think B3D staff wants and I merely pointed out the fact that there are other forums for this. It's not a derogatory jab at the sites I mentioned.

Yes but all this talk gets nowhere..

What about my idea. Start a new Forum area with invitation only, But the rest of us can read. You old timers know the harcore techno types. You can also look at specific email requests to join. That should weed out all us "rif-raff"....

Just do it and stop just talking about it.

Why should the B3D staff spend their time and money to do so? Instead of a public, fanboy forum and a private, technical forum, I'd prefer B3D remain public but technical. The fanboys, as Rev said, can go elsewhere for their visceral thrills.

Pete,

From what i have read there are only about 5 people in total on this forum that do not argue from one side or the other A.K.A. Fanboys...

dksuiko said:
You've got the wrong idea. I don't think anybody here has a problem with someone who isn't 'in-the-know' about the technical aspects of the topics being discussed in the forum. The problem is when every topic becomes a flame war against/for a certain company. You only need to look at a few of the larger threads to get an idea of how stupid the situation has gotten. Statements like "Common sense is lacking here on a grand scale" or "If you don't see this you are a fool" is the noise they are talking about.

Anyway, I wouldn't like a level, rating, or some other 'elitist' type system. I like the forum system the way it is. There are many people who jump into discussions with something interesting to contribute without having posted anything before. The current system can works fine on many other message forums, and strict moderating can deal with the <bleep> piss matches. I don't see any need to change how the posting system works.

All of it is so very true.

I just think that as things are right now strict moderating would put to much of a load on John [and the other folks at beyond3d] because it's difficult for them to draw the line.

We could all help out by ignoring the annoying posts or quite simply telling people that they are not welcome with those remarks. Things may get a bit nasty during the cleasing, but if we stand united... 8)

RussSchultz said:
If you noticed, I asked for it to be closed after 2 pages.

It quickly drifted from (hopefully) a technical discussion to noise.

Quickly ??

You asked for a technical discussion, actually close to begged for it :)
And what happened ? Yep, FIRST post after yours was the same political crap we had in another thread at the same time.

I hoped that we had people here that actually read what other people post but that doesn't seem to be the case at all lately.

Some people just pick out the parts they don't like (usually so that it becomes completely out of context), ignore the rest of the post and then reply.

Starts to become more and more annoying imo.

Bjorn said:
RussSchultz said:
If you noticed, I asked for it to be closed after 2 pages.

It quickly drifted from (hopefully) a technical discussion to noise.

Quickly ??

and then reply.

Starts to become more and more annoying imo.

what so you're saying we should all stop replying :rolleyes:

There are two kinds of folks here - those interested in talking about 3D Technology and those that are interested in talking about 3D Companies.

I'd take option A because that's the actual reason why I visit B3D in the first place. I most of the times lurk in the background and read whatever appeals interesting to me while I simply skip the usual cross head banging.

It seems to me that Rev's point is rather in the direction to tune down the noise level and not to create a private club board or any kind of exclusions.

Granted we all have our preferences and we all fall one way or the other for that very preference, but concentrating more on the technological side of things while overlooking that very preference shouldn't be too hard to achieve in the end. If it is true that the real knowledgable people get turned away from B3D in the end, then it's a negative aspect for all of us.

I don't think that there's any member on this board that doesn't appreciate feedback from software/hardware developers/engineers in the end. Usually a board is what users make of it. In retrospect it's the majority's decision what we want B3D to be in reality.

Doomtrooper,

...there is alot of intelligent people on those forums...

Definitely. But when the responses from those seem to be descending it should alarm all of us. I'm not calling myself innocent here, but I'm trying to receive the message as it really was sent out to me. If I got the wrong message, Rev can always correct me; but I didn't personally see any pleed for exclusions.

The sollution for a "read-only" forum for the rest of us isn't exactly a democratic sollution either; plus it restricts us from asking a legitimate question whenever we feel there is one.

---------------------------------------------------

I'll personally continue visiting B3D. I'll just probably result to more selective reading. Simple eh? ;)

Hi there,

I think this is the most important bit in this discussion:
Reverend said:
There are two kinds of folks here - those interested in talking about 3D Technology and those that are interested in talking about 3D Companies. My opinion is that the former is the intention of B3D staff (and we should respect the people that owns this forum). Talking about 3D Companies is not what I think B3D staff wants and I merely pointed out the fact that there are other forums for this. It's not a derogatory jab at the sites I mentioned.
I completely agree. Last time I checked this specific forum was called "3D Technology and Hardware," not "ATi, NV, PowerVR, Matrox, and other graphics chipsets." I really don't understand why anybody would start a thread like DT's latest "Radeon 9700 Developer Testimonials." As interesting as it may be, it is also clearly off-topic.

LeStoffer said:
We could all help out by ignoring the annoying posts or quite simply telling people that they are not welcome with those remarks. Things may get a bit nasty during the cleasing, but if we stand united... 8)
That's the way to do it. I don't really see another possible solution--after all, the majority defines what the boards "feel" like, hence we should try to steer the boat back towards the "3D Technology" shore ourselves. No moderation on John's and other B3D staff's part will manage to do that on its own.

All in my own humble opinion, of course.

ta,
-Sascha.rb

Perhaps we need a "advocacy board", to toss out as bait and hopefully attract those sort of discussions to that board.

Of course, that would be encouraging to advocates.

Perhaps you could put great revenue generating ads on that board, and not care too much about whether they pop-up or not.

Use it to subsidize the rest of the website. ;)

nggalai said:
Hi there,

I think this is the most important bit in this discussion:
Reverend said:
I completely agree. Last time I checked this specific forum was called "3D Technology and Hardware," not "ATi, NV, PowerVR, Matrox, and other graphics chipsets." I really don't understand why anybody would start a thread like DT's latest "Radeon 9700 Developer Testimonials." As interesting as it may be, it is also clearly off-topic.

LeStoffer said:
That's the way to do it. I don't really see another possible solution--after all, the majority defines what the boards "feel" like, hence we should try to steer the boat back towards the "3D Technology" shore ourselves. No moderation on John's and other B3D staff's part will manage to do that on its own.

All in my own humble opinion, of course.

ta,
-Sascha.rb

Thanks for the input nggalai but this forum is called 3D Technology and Hardware, last time I looked the 9700 was including 1) Hardware 2) Technology... posting that link was to provide a couple of things:

1) Alot of speculation about the R300 being DX9 Compliant is answered
2) Some early footage of some upcoming games.

I questioned myself to post that link since I'm not a PR follower, but there is some valid questions answered in that.

I see nothing wrong with what I posted.

Back