The LittleBigPlanet pre-release Saga

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
He put Sackboy in the wrong spot. That's in the same place as the vertical menu of the XMB is. Nothing simply flipping the image won't fix though. It looks nice.

Yowza ! Time to get my iPhone back from the kid: http://www.platformnation.com/2008/09/16/littlebigplanet-on-the-iphone/

28vawxs.jpg

There's more !
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/littlebigplanet-it-s-a-service-as-much-as-a-game

"So we've got the standard webby features, and my favourite one is the photos in the game - you can take screenshots, but as with everything in the game it's physical, so you can frame a shot, take it, then you can stick it," he explained.

"But then you can upload it as well, and we use it in a variety of places, so every level has a feed of photos. Say you design a GamesIndustry.biz level - anyone who goes in that level and takes a photo, that photo will go on the feed. Anybody searching for that level will see the feed and be able to judge if it's a good level.

"But it gets even cooler, because that feed also applies to people, so it's a bit like somebody's subscription channel on YouTube."

And Evans believes that while the levels will keep gamers hooked for a long time, the people that create the most popular ones could gain cult status.

"Creators are just as important as levels, so as a creator we have world rankings of who's the coolest creator, or who's the coolest community-minded commenter or sharer," he said.

"So you can be a little bit competitive if you want to be, and you'll have feeds of photos of you - levels that you've been in, photos people have taken of you. Then we take it even further, like Facebook. In any photos we know what kind of Sackboys were in it, who they were logged in as, so we put a box around their face which you can click and go and see that person. So if there's a cool level with a guy wearing an awesome costume, you just D-pad up to him and hit X, and now you can see his levels, his favourites.

"My favourite features are how you navigate around in a social way - so rather than just being a type-in text bar, which you can do but is a bit clunky, it's much more that you play a level, it will find more recommended levels like that, then you see a cool guy, click on him... it's that kind of jumping around. That's the most obviously different feature set.

"The nicest bit about the online side is that we treat it as a service, so if we can iterate. I love the way that people abuse - in the good sense of the word - features, that the community will find and start building up around, and we want to support that. We'll add features to the community side that are specifically for the community," he added.

Also the official release dates are :

October 21st : North America & Latin America
October 22nd : Europe, Australia & New Zealand
October 24th : UK & Ireland

Nice to see the country of origin gets it last ;) I expect all the NA players to have created me some incredible levels by the time I pick my copy up :p

me think you'll turn purple with envy during those 3 days.

Here's a hands-on impression from a GAF gamer:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12863613&postcount=160

Couple of hours of two player coop under my belt. Game is fucking TIGHT. No problems whatsoever online. You can see everyone on your friends list on the LittleMoon in your pod complete with their PSN avatars and you see who is playing LBP. The latter you can invite or join their pod and off you go. Smooth as fuck.

Got through the first three chapters and as a person who thinks Super Mario World is the finest platform game ever, some of the sequenes in LBP top that game and really show what can be done in 2d/3d platforming. The two player "puzzles" are fun too and some of the just had us laughing out loud as we kept fucking up. Most of the puzzles requiring two players give you harder to get items. The levels have big 2X signs telling you that this way for two players. I wonder if if it says 3X if you got three players.

I've written a lot about the game and I almost forgot that its really a brilliant platformer at heart. Sure, the physics oriented jumping can get a bit tricky, but there's lots of checkpoints etc so it's cool.

A game that really brings a smile to one's face.

No fair !

I can't wait to see people's creation, especially MGS, Zone of the Enders, Kill Zone, and politics themed ones. Thinking about some of the possibilities make me grin.

LaLiLuLeLoPlanet, starring SnackBoy/SmokeBoy. Konami, do it ! That old man is probably dead by now. Let's milk this one.

EDIT: Holy... this one is nice, but I don't think it's allowed in-game. Damn copyright laws. They need to set up a separate entity (or partner with someone) to do this...
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12868533&postcount=208

15ppohx.jpg

It's not on the disc, anyway. How close to launch we get the feature through a patch, noone currently knows. ;)

Personally, I will probably only need the offline version for now. But I expect them to come up with the online version soon enough. I reckon the hardest part in it is dealing with stuff like when I put a sticker in using my PS Eye, it needs to be uploaded to everyone else, stuff like that.

Game Informer has a good article and pictures of how you build and test the level. I haven't read it yet but you guys might enjoy it

Cool competition on Eurogamer where you design your own level. It comes with a sort of a basic design your level toolkit for PC, and you can win a PS3 80gb with LBP and a visit to the London studios:

http://www.eurogamer.net/lbp.php

Go for it Shifty. ;)

They already have a session with Parson School of Design.

Here's the "Shadow of the LittleBigColossus" level. It won the "Best of Jam" award.
http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/09/23/parsons-students-create-shadow-of-the-littlebigcolossus/

Getting our hands on "Shadow of the LittleBigColossus" left us absolutely awe-struck. Not only was the concept of the level truly outstanding, but the execution was spot-on. Yes, a little more playtesting could be done to make it not as challenging, but to know that such a massive moving level was created in the time of just 24 hours is an incredible achievement

Another level got awarded "Most Fun" (The video is also in the above link)

Although this level won Best of Jam (and the accompanying $1000 prize), it was far from the only noteworthy level on display. Each of the levels that made it to the awards ceremony showed incredible promise. One of our other favorites from the evening had to be the level created by Team Bloody Clowns. It appropriately won the award for "Most Fun." And why? Just watch this video to see:

I'm DL'ing it now.

The servers are pretty busy but keep plugging away. Be warned, you have to be registered at Eurogamer.

Paging Shifty Geezer! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back