The Insomniac Spiderman [PS4]

Well, I was worried it would be bad, but this looks fun ! THey handled it really well.
Also Insomniac tweeted that swinging is physics based and all through the week their demoers will be playing it at E3 and showing alternative playthroughs taking different paths.

I have to say, feels very scripted but it seems cheerful , fast and fun !

Looks insanely fun. Just worried that the whole gameplay scene looked too "perfect", very scripted. If the combat is that dynamic for real, I'm impressed.

Looks insanely fun. Just worried that the whole gameplay scene looked too "perfect", very scripted. If the combat is that dynamic for real, I'm impressed.

All the set piece part are very scripted, the game is open world and less scripted during other mission...

Gameplay reminds me a lot of Batman Arkham games. Just a lot of QTE imo. Just hope there are still free roaming gameplay in the city. But judging by the video Unless it's a main story driven sequence and seeing all the destruction etc I don't know if it's open world. But looks really cool i love the combat animation.

Gameplay reminds me a lot of Batman Arkham games. Just a lot of QTE imo. Just hope there are still free roaming gameplay in the city. But judging by the video Unless it's a main story driven sequence and seeing all the destruction etc I don't know if it's open world. But looks really cool i love the combat animation.

The game is open world it is just a Uncharted style set piece...

Wow, not only is the visual presentation top notch, but the Arkham-like combat uses incredibly good looking animation system. Batman moves so much worse between enemies [press block and he just freezes and SLIDES 5m away across the ground to the enemy inside half a second], but Spidey is so nimble, without any animation jank. Amazing.

I really did not expect it to look this good. I must say, this is maybe the first game after Order 1886 in which even the gameplay looked like CGI. Everything was smooth, and transitions to cinematics [and back to gameplay] were handled superbly.

I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Ok just watched the 9 min gameplay in 4k, this is absolutely stunning indeed! The animation, setpieces, lighting and that god like motion blur are almost live action like, quite a level above Batman AK if you ask me. Insomniac truly has ascended in their technical prowess this gen.

It'll be interesting to see how the canned elements of traversal hang together with the physically based web swinging.

Can I just make a brief aside to applaud the thread title. It's making me smile every time I see it. :)

It's a comicbook game. The only important thing is that everything has to look cool.

By the way, I have to say I'm very much liking the how much traffic and pedestrians are present.

I know, but it still annoys the hell out of me. Also indestructible people who are also inert to momentum. eg. Luke Cage gets hit by a truck, and the truck stops still. The only thing holding the truck back is the friction between Luke's shoes and the road. The writers are ignoring the limits of the character and adding abilities for fancy effect. Or just don't know grade-school science. A little more effort would make the situations far more believable for the few of us who care, although I appreciate I'm very much in the minority and most media consumers aren't aware of the rule-breaking nonsense writers produce.

I know, but it still annoys the hell out of me. Also indestructible people who are also inert to momentum. eg. Luke Cage gets hit by a truck, and the truck stops still. The only thing holding the truck back is the friction between Luke's shoes and the road. The writers are ignoring the limits of the character and adding abilities for fancy effect. Or just don't know grade-school science. A little more effort would make the situations far more believable for the few of us who care, although I appreciate I'm very much in the minority and most media consumers aren't aware of the rule-breaking nonsense writers produce.

THIS.

I hate physics fails like that. Indestructible skin does not make you immune to inertia too.

Ahhh! He shoots his web to the right and then swings to the left! What's he using to change his trajectory against gravity? Massive farts??

He does exactly the same thing in the comics/cartoons/movies. I guess the webs are the only thing that is physics bound in the game (as they mentioned physics). Where is my Spiderman VR game now, so I can get really nauseous? :D

I would think fantasy characters (e.g. Superman, Hulk, Wonder Woman, etc...) wouldn't be so popular if they didn't defy the rules of nature and science. Essentially they would be more human like to these rules, rather than their god-like personas. Seriously, to explain the things in which "Flash" is capable of doing ...versus the rules/laws of science ...Flash would be locked in limbo.

Last edited:
Back