Cant unload running program

Davros

Legend
So I run a game NFS Porsche Unleashed it crashes after the splash screen, then I try to delete a file from the game folder
and get the following message "cant delete ddraw.dll is open in porsche.exe". So I bring up task manager to end the process and prosche.exe isn't listed anywhere ?
The only thing I can do is reboot to unload it from memory.
how can I find it so I can terminate it without having to reboot ?

Update tried process explorer and it did find the hidden processes unfortunately it wouldn't let me terminate them
1717105732507.png

Cant remember so I re tested
ran porsche.exe it crashed
ran process explorer as administrator it listed 2 instances of porsche.exe
tried to kill the first process nothing happened, no error message but didn't terminate
tried to kill the second process got the access denied error message

Thinking the 2 instances of Porsche .exe was because windows was mistaking my double click for 2 double clicks and running 2 instances of the game, I decided to launch the game from the command prompt (by going to the folder and typing Porsche) game immediately crashed. what normally happens is I get the splash screen then the loading screen then it crashes, but this time it crashed immediately.
I checked process explorer and only 1 instance of porsche.exe I tried to kill it but nothing happened, no error message.
so I ran Porsche again from the command prompt and this time it crashed at the loading screen.
checked process explorer and the were 2 instances of porsche.exe trying to kill the second porsche.exe resulted in an error message
strange thing is first instance of porsche.exe has the game icon the second has a generic program icon, and a different size, also when I put my mouse on the first instance the tooltip says "path c:\temp\porsche.exe
when I put my mouse on the second instance the tooltip says "a device attached to the system is not functioning"

1717122888838.png

ps: even though the smaller Porsche.exe is listed first it is the second instance and the tooltip is from the smaller Porsche.exe

Attachments

• 1717122837820.png
    1717122837820.png
    36.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Cant remember so I re tested
ran porsche.exe it crashed
ran process explorer as administrator it listed 2 instances of porsche.exe
tried to kill the first process nothing happened, no error message but didn't terminate
tried to kill the second process got the access denied error message

Thinking the 2 instances of Porsche .exe was because windows was mistaking my double click for 2 double clicks and running 2 instances of the game, I decided to launch the game from the command prompt (by going to the folder and typing Porsche) game immediately crashed. what normally happens is I get the splash screen then the loading screen then it crashes, but this time it crashed immediately.
I checked process explorer and only 1 instance of porsche.exe I tried to kill it but nothing happened, no error message.
so I ran Porsche again from the command prompt and this time it crashed at the loading screen.
checked process explorer and the were 2 instances of porsche.exe trying to kill the second porsche.exe resulted in an error message
strange thing is first instance of porsche.exe has the game icon the second has a generic program icon, and a different size, also when I put my mouse on the first instance the tooltip says "path c:\temp\porsche.exe
when I put my mouse on the second instance the tooltip says "a device attached to the system is not functioning"

View attachment 11402

ps: even though the smaller Porsche.exe is listed first it is the second instance and the tooltip is from the smaller Porsche.exe
Does this game run on modern Windows and hardware? I found some complicated instructions on how to get the game running on Windows 10.

yes I have had it running win windows 10 before I'm thinking the issue may be because I'm now running a superultrawide monitor

Back