The importance of UMD to PSP and its future *spinoff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those are completely unrelated though. No one expects DS to play PSP games.
They do expect a PSP to do so though

But the ds fits portable gaming needs more for the vast amount of gamers than the psp. Carts are one of the reasons why.

So you're agreeing with me.

That the psp go shares many of the failings of the psp and is hampered by many puzzling choices made by sony. Not that its a DD platform.

Yip, definitely agreeing.

But you should read. Because as i've said before none of those things will be a problem for a system that starts off as DD only.

The main problem is that instead of making a psp2 thats DD from the start , they decided to make a psp 1 thats DD what 5 years after its release ? And they didn't put all the psp games on DD from the start. And people who already own a psp who are most likely to buy a psp go had no option of porting their games to the psp go.

Those are the problems with the PSP go. That could have been avoided if the psp go had the full psp library on dd from launch and had a way to send your psp umds in to get a code for the same game on the psp go.

Could you show me one of those devices with better graphics than Crisis Core?
My $900 UMPC can't even do better than PSP.

http://psp.ign.com/dor/objects/7113...core-final-fantasy-vii-20080318013024677.html
crisis-core-final-fantasy-vii-20080318013025552_640w.jpg

This game ? Seriously ?

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/62723

Street fighter 4 for the iphone blows it away .

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vi...a211123d0a77e29d3149a211123d0a7-1344775980385

brother in arms for the iphone ?

All of these look amazing compared to crisis core.

did u see the crisis core gameplay shot i showed ? it looks equaly bad.

Yeah and I watched the video review also. I think on overal the Crisis Core is more pleasing to the eye, but of course it's budget and effort spent on it is way higher. Technically it did look pretty bad.

We dont KNOW that. That's just a rumor, and I doubt it cause BC is a must

If you look at the source, and see the absence of any developers poo-pooing the idea (or even talking about it) then you have the foundations of a very solid rumour. Plus it fits in perfectly with the idea of a Sony working on a high end mobile gaming system that's developer friendly (which is exactly what they should be doing).

I dont recall saying 10, just saying there arent many. But MS did stop doing them, they even cut off Live access from XBOX originals. And that's not a lie.

When you said "No they dont. They stopped doing that, and only had a few games. BC is useless if they're only going to use it for 10 games" I assumed the 10 was referring to the Xbox Live originals you were saying that they didn't do any more.

You're wrong btw, MS haven't stopped doing Originals. I said this before (I even went onto my 360 to check) but you don't believe me. Here's an original still on the marketplace:

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/games/media/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80245410868/

Xbox Live is a separate issue, but you're wrong on that too. I went online with Halo 2 a couple of days ago. Xbox Live support for originals is ending soon, because MS need to upgrade the Live service in ways incompatible with original Xbox games.

http://majornelson.com/archive/2010...ued-for-original-xbox-consoles-and-games.aspx

You're simply wrong about these things and anyone with an internet connection can check it out. I don't think you're a liar, you just just don't know about these things. It's probably time to stop with these claims though, or else you might start to look a little mad!

Im not suggesting PSP2 use UMD1, but UMD2 which would either have more layers, or be Bluray based

This is even more unlikely than UMD1 IMO. Without movies to justify developing yet another proprietary format, with cart based systems dominating the PSP as it is, and with digital distribution figuring highly in Sony's plans, I simply can't see it being sensible.

And how much would that add to the publishing costs. Darkblu said a feature doesnt count unless its used often. Do games often use CD quality music on carts? Chip-generated =/= CD Quality. Chip generated = MIDI quality.

If you have a personal definition of "CD quality" that works for you then that's cool, but I'll stick with 44kHz 16-bit stereo. Chip generated music can actually sound cleaner than compressed audio, being truly lossless (well, aliasing aside I suppose).

Not all chip generated music uses MIDI btw. A mix of synth and samples can produce outstanding CD quality music that even has the ability to adapt to in-game situations.

Wouldn't notebooks be superior to cellphones? Also, I have a port of a PC game (Gurumin) on my PSP. I've never seen a cellphone game look as good as Crisis Core. PSP's GPU hasn't been outclassed yet. Or rather, any GPU that does outclass it hasn't been used properly yet.

That's why it would be good to see a cutting edge mobile GPU in the PSP2.

Sony definitely wants to keep selling the content on the PSN store. While redoing the PS1 emulator would be possible, a PSP emulator would not be. Even the highest end portables out don't even have the power to do it. PSP2 isn't PS3 where it has unlimited space and power to work with.

To labour an old point: there's no real evidence that a PSP1 emulator is impossible or impractical. The CPU would appear to be the hard bit.

And Sony definitely wants to attract the original PSP's fanbase with BC/enhanced BC (like those of us with 43 PSP games such as myself) Having BC without UMD would be a slap in the face to those of us who supported it from the start when the Go and downloads came later on and were mainly for new owners.

It's not personal. If you take it personally then that's not Sony's fault. It's more important for Sony to get the next product right than not upset owners of the old product who have a personal fondness for the old product. If they can do both, like Nintendo, then great.

Unfortunately, in this case Sony probably can't.

Although I've been a fan of BC, notably PS2's enhanced PS1 BC, at the end of the day it's not that important. PS3's sell without BC. XB360 lost interest. It's good for the transition period, but ultimately there's no point introducing and selling a new platform if owners aren't going to buy new games. I have maybe 20 games all-told for my PS3, and I only play like 1 or 2, with most finished with and with little likelihood of me revisiting them. If PS4 isn't BC with PS3, I'll no more miss playing these games then than I do now. If I buy a PSP2, it'll be to play the new experiences. If I already had a PSP to play PSP games, I can always keep that. That's an advantage of portables over consoles, where consumers tend to prefer only one box under the TV, they'll happily own lots of small CE devices.

The main reason for BC from Sony's POV is to sell old titles for cheap, easy money, like Nintendo does. That would actually benefit from not having BC media, so that fans of an old title will buy it again for £5 as a DD title instead of using their existing or 2nd hand UMD.

But the ds fits portable gaming needs more for the vast amount of gamers than the psp. Carts are one of the reasons why.

Sales are not indicative of quality. Especially since you refuse to admit Go's sales indicate anything despite there being a significantly larger difference between UMD-based PSPs and Go, you can't claim DS's sales indicate anything.

And your screenshot is not indicative of the quality of the game. You specifically chose a low-light environment during a magic spell attack that obscures most of the screen. Nor does your screenshot cancel out the graphics of mine. How about actually playing the game? It is highly recommended.

did u see the crisis core gameplay shot i showed ? it looks equaly bad.

Did you see the shot I posted? It looks a lot better.

Are you honestly trying to claim Crisis Core had bad graphics?

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/psp/crisiscorefinalfantasy7

With amazing graphics,
The voice acting, sound, video, and graphics are downright amazing for the PSP.
gorgeous graphics
The graphics of Crisis Core exceed any other game I have seen on PSP
The graphics are great

You really think I'd pick a bad looking game as my example?

You're wrong btw, MS haven't stopped doing Originals. I said this before (I even went onto my 360 to check) but you don't believe me.

No I don't, for obvious reasons.

http://kotaku.com/5294582/microsoft-pulls-plug-on-xbox-originals

June 17, 2009

Microsoft's "Xbox Originals" scheme seemed an easy way to re-release old Xbox titles on the 360 as a digital download, and make a buck off them in the process. Hasn't worked out that way.

After an initial flurry of titles, releases for the service soon slowed to the point where most of you probably forgot it was even around. And it may as well have disappeared, with Microsoft saying it has now "finished it's portfolio" of releases for the service, and that following one final release (which has yet to be determined), there will be no more Xbox games offered for download (though you'll still be able to get the games already on there).

This is even more unlikely than UMD1 IMO. Without movies to justify developing yet another proprietary format, with cart based systems dominating the PSP as it is, and with digital distribution figuring highly in Sony's plans, I simply can't see it being sensible.

They don't need to develop anything. UMD is pretty much small DVDs in a shell. They just stick small blurays in the same shell. Bluray discs are cheaper now than UMD was when it came out.

To labour an old point: there's no real evidence that a PSP1 emulator is impossible or impractical.

I see it as the opposite, there's no real evidence that tells me a PSP1 emulator is possible/practical. I have given evidence of this though. Even high end 'portables' that aren't even small enough to be handheld or cheap enough to compete, don't come close to the amount of power needed to emulate PSP. Look at the handhelds coming out now (ipad, pandora, odroid), PSP2 (assuming it's announced at E3/this year) would be roughly as powerful, slightly more but not the exponentially that'd be required to do it.

I posit the playability of PSP minis on PS3 as evidence that PSP emulation is in active development at Sony

Minis don't use emulation. They include both a PS3 executable and a PSP one.
-Sony would finish their PS2 emulator before starting a PSP one
-Sony's PS2 emulator doesn't up-res PS2 games to native PS3 resolutions, the minis do up-res
-The minis had to be updated to support playback on PS3
-Some minis still haven't been updated, and thus don't support it (ie:Tetris)
-A simple recompile is vastly easier/cheaper than doing emulation
-The filesize the PS3 version downloads is larger than the version PSP gets.

Nor is PSP emulation on a PS3 relevant, being that PS3 has transfinite power (both electrically and processing) compared to what PSP2 will have.

PS3's sell without BC.

They didn't at launch, when BC is particularly important.
And they also take a lot of complaints because it doesn't have it anymore, Sony has admitted it's one of the most requested features.

That would actually benefit from not having BC media, so that fans of an old title will buy it again for £5 as a DD title instead of using their existing or 2nd hand UMD.

Apparently you haven't seen Sony's pricing of PSP titles on PSN...

Last edited by a moderator:
And they also take a lot of complaints because it doesn't have it anymore, Sony has admitted it's one of the most requested features.

Taking out the BC from PS3 never really hurted Sony and now they are selling PS3's faster than ever during it's lifecycle. The thing that hurt Sony during the launch was the high price and including PS2 chips didn't help in that, and they were removed pretty quickly. Europe never saw Emotion Engine inside the PS3. I agree that at launch BC has some value.

You cut my post off where I linked to the actual Xbox Live Marketplace page where you can STILL buy original games for the playback via emulation on a 360. You cut that bit off and responded with a link to Kotaku (!?) that also says that originals are still available.

You also didn't acknowledge the link (to Major Nelson) that shows that you can still play originals online. Of course, I already knew that you could, because I took Halo 2 online last week. On my Xbox 360.

That link to Kotaku said:
UPDATE - Reader Adrian points out that the Xbox Originals have already been "moved" and rebranded, and are sitting on Xbox.com as the first offerings for Microsoft's "Games on Demand" service.

Even the Kotaku article you linked to says MS haven't pulled the service.

They don't need to develop anything. UMD is pretty much small DVDs in a shell. They just stick small blurays in the same shell. Bluray discs are cheaper now than UMD was when it came out.

I don't think that developing a custom media format for a high end device takes no work! Even if it did, the other penalties would also be an issue.

I see it as the opposite, there's no real evidence that tells me a PSP1 emulator is possible/practical. I have given evidence of this though. Even high end 'portables' that aren't even small enough to be handheld or cheap enough to compete, don't come close to the amount of power needed to emulate PSP. Look at the handhelds coming out now (ipad, pandora, odroid), PSP2 (assuming it's announced at E3/this year) would be roughly as powerful, slightly more but not the exponentially that'd be required to do it.

How much power does it take to emulate the PSP1? Sounds like you've been able to quantify it. So how much?

Nor is PSP emulation on a PS3 relevant, being that PS3 has transfinite power (both electrically and processing) compared to what PSP2 will have.

But a resource starved homebrew app on a none-gaming SMPC is relevant?

Taking out the BC from PS3 never really hurted Sony and now they are selling PS3's faster than ever during it's lifecycle. The thing that hurt Sony during the launch was the high price and including PS2 chips didn't help in that, and they were removed pretty quickly. Europe never saw Emotion Engine inside the PS3. I agree that at launch BC has some value.

Indeed. I'm sure Sony would like BC - especially the kind that sells software - but I doubt they'd sacrifice building the right device to get it. I wouldn't rule out some kind of software BC though for "key titles" (to use MS' words) though.

You cut my post off where I linked to the actual Xbox Live Marketplace page where you can STILL buy original games for the playback via emulation on a 360. You cut that bit off and responded with a link to Kotaku (!?) that also says that originals are still available.

I didn't say they were pulled. I said MS stopped it, as in, stopped adding games to it. Considering I even posted a link saying that, and bolded that part, I didnt leave it open to reinterpretation

You also didn't acknowledge the link (to Major Nelson) that shows that you can still play originals online.

For obvious reasons, I read they were stopping that.

http://www.lockergnome.com/blade/2010/02/05/microsoft-to-pull-plug-on-original-xbox-live-users/

On April 15 we will discontinue the Xbox LIVE service for original Xbox consoles and games, including Xbox v1 games playable on Xbox 360 and Xbox Originals. I want to start by saying this isn’t a decision we made lightly, but after careful consideration, it is clear this will provide the greatest benefit to the Xbox LIVE community

but I doubt they'd sacrifice building the right device to get it.

I feel it'd be a better device with hardware BC though.

-They can keep selling all PSN content as is
-BC draws in more original PSP owners
-Ability to enhance old games
-PSP2 starts with a large back collection of games
-No developer learning curve/period of adjustment as it's like the step from 222 to 333. Same coding methods, just more power
-Plus a physical medium in at least one model is still required

Sony cant get away without BC frankly, all it's competition's "next gen" models have it. (DSi, ipad)

If you have a personal definition of "CD quality" that works for you then that's cool, but I'll stick with 44kHz 16-bit stereo

I was under the impression no one counted real-time generated/MIDI as CD quality due to many reasons despite the fact the assets used in RTG music can be CD quality. RTG would be limited to weaknesses of the software/hardware, such as how many simultaneous notes can be played/instruments loaded/etc where CD quality would not. ie: human voice.

For a specific example, vocaloid uses samples of human voices to make songs, but no one calls it human quality. Like MIDI/RTG, there are aspects it can't reproduce

The specific game that blew me away sound wise was Twisted Metal for PSP, a day 1 launch title with human voices in the CD-Quality music.

But a resource starved homebrew app on a none-gaming SMPC is relevant?

Eh? What homebrew app are you referring too? And it's UMPC, and how do you know it's none-gaming? That and it's not exactly resource starved either. My UMPC will still probably be more powerful than PSP2 will be, which saddens me...

How much power does it take to emulate the PSP1? Sounds like you've been able to quantify it. So how much?

More than what any current affordable portable hardware offers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel it'd be a better device with hardware BC though.

-They can keep selling all PSN content as is
-BC draws in more original PSP owners
-Ability to enhance old games
-PSP2 starts with a large back collection of games
-No developer learning curve/period of adjustment as it's like the step from 222 to 333. Same coding methods, just more power
-Plus a physical medium in at least one model is still required

Sony cant get away without BC frankly, all it's competition's "next gen" models have it. (DSi, ipad)

Hardware BC ? Isn't that going to be a huge power drain on the system and add more unneeded devices.

Aside from that a modern handheld with a dx 11 power vr chip in it would run rings around a psp. Emulating the psp should be a walk in the park.

Hardware BC ? Isn't that going to be a huge power drain on the system and add more unneeded devices.

Only if it's hardware BC + new hardware (ie: how PS3 did PS2) instead of new hardware being faster versions of the old hardware (ie: how GBC, GBA, DS, DSi, Wii did it)

In all likelihood I see Sony doing it that (second) way.

Aside from that a modern handheld with a dx 11 power vr chip in it would run rings around a psp. Emulating the psp should be a walk in the park.

I doubt it. Maybe if you can show me one that uses the same instruction set, otherwise it will require some software emulation, and that wouldn't be accurate and would be a waste of power.
PS3 can run rings around PS2, that doesn't mean it can emulate it's GPU.
360 can't even emulate XBOXes GPU properly, and it was DX.

Anyway once again the psp go did something wrong. It came out and has no way to let you play psp games you own and doesn't even have the full psp library online and no plans on when to put it online.

And never will for the same reasons we'll never get every PS1 game on PSN.
And PSP2 will not solve those problems.

And Sony definitely wants to attract the original PSP's fanbase with BC/enhanced BC (like those of us with 43 PSP games such as myself) Having BC without UMD would be a slap in the face to those of us who supported it from the start when the Go and downloads came later on and were mainly for new owners.
It's not personal

You don't think Sony wants to entice people who bought the largest collections of games/supported PSP most? It's not about being 'personal', it's about business. And smart business = making the people who give you the most money happy, and continuing to make money selling the same thing to new customers. Following that logic, PSP2 will have BC.

I've used that logic to predict how the ipad would run iphone's OS/app store not OSX as many predicted, Nintendo's kept BC for each system in the gameboy/ds line.

Granted I used that logic to predict the Go would never be made (it would sell poorly, and would cause retailer boycotts, and it did both) I doubt Sony is stupid enough to repeat that mistake a second time.

Anyone who thinks Sony will ditch UMD should read this: http://www.onelastcontinue.com/1628/editorial-psp2-umd-bad-idea/

Yeah, and since removing BC sales of PS3 have really plummeted...

Or are you suggesting Sony should include BC for the entire system because it's important for the first 6-12 months of the product, despite being next to irrelevant for the remaining 4+ years? If there are those who really do need to play their PSP titles on PSP2 instead of on their existing PSP, wouldn't it make sense just like PS3 to create a PSP compatible version at increased cost? You also only reference one system. BC was irrelevant to Wii's initial success, because everyone bought it for the new Wii experience in Sports. And I'm pretty sure XB360 faired pretty well with BC given the huge initial tie ratio. Maybe you can provide figures that show early adopters of XB360 spent considerable time playing their old games instead of the new ones they bought, and they wouldn't have bought XB360 without its limited BC.

Apparently you haven't seen Sony's pricing of PSP titles on PSN...
:???: What are you actually arguing here? Are you saying DLC BC is a good thing or bad thing? Is the current PSN model the only possible model for reselling old content, or are there other models like Wii's VC? Are you saying developers don't want to resell their old games but do want people to play old and 2nd hand UMDs instead of buying new games?

Also it's poor forum practice to quote a number of different posters in one thread without labelling the quotes with whom you are quoting. It's only chance if I notice you've replied to me when passing a moderator's eye over the thread, and it looks like my points were made by someone else. Please reply to posts individually so different arguments from different people don't get muddled, or at least if you're groupng a set of arguments into one post, label them appropriately. Thanks.

Shifty, a significant benefit of BC [at launch] is that you get to lure your most enthusiastic previous owners into upgrading, before releasing a wide bulk of new games. When you think back a decade or so, to before the time when every forum on the web was invaded and subverted by corporate shills, you remember the term "multipliers" being used for these people, and they were considered important because they could sway decisions of large groups of peers.

I know BC has a draw for early adopters (actually LB corrected us on the proper term for the earliest of early adaopters but I forget what it is!), but I see it as less important for handhelds - 1) Every PSP owner can still keep and use their PSP, in contrast to console owners who typically prefer to have just one box connected up to the TV at a time and wouldn't want to swap ConsoleIteration3 out and ConsoleIteration2 in, and back again. 2) The added cost and power draw to PSP2 would significant, making for a more expensive platform, less portable platform, and impact the whole future. I can't imagine any sane company building a device with a 5 year sales period in mind and basing the core design on appealing to the first 12 months only. PSP2 has to be designed to cover the following years after launch. There are so many flaws with going with a hardware BC design that would make for a power-hungry, graphically underperforming system, that it makes little sense to build such a system to net better earlier sales and lose subsequent long-term sales. Does any current PSP owner with an extensive library of game really want to have a more expensive, less capable PSP2 in favour of playing their PSP games on it, or would they mostly prefer a more capable, cheaper PSP2 and use their existing device to play their existing library?

Only if it's hardware BC + new hardware (ie: how PS3 did PS2) instead of new hardware being faster versions of the old hardware (ie: how GBC, GBA, DS, DSi, Wii did it)

In all likelihood I see Sony doing it that (second) way.

So your basicly admiting that the next gen psp will be worse graphicly than the iphone , google phones and win mo 7 phones for graphics ?

If they simply go with a faster psp they will miss out on alot of modern things that have come since. A smarter choice would be to farm out the cpu and gpu to someone who knows what they are doing. A dual core arm chip vortex i think its called ? With a power vr dedicated chip would work well. Instead of intergrating th chip into the arm chip , they can just make a larger gpu.

Would be much much much better than a faster psp.

I doubt it. Maybe if you can show me one that uses the same instruction set, otherwise it will require some software emulation, and that wouldn't be accurate and would be a waste of power.
PS3 can run rings around PS2, that doesn't mean it can emulate it's GPU.
360 can't even emulate XBOXes GPU properly, and it was DX.

I'm not aware of any sizable amount of xbox titles that aren't BC and of those that aren't they are mostly games that no one cared about when they were released.

And never will for the same reasons we'll never get every PS1 game on PSN.
And PSP2 will not solve those problems.

So you don't think that the PS3 can ever emulate all ps 1 games ? I'd think any ps1 games not on psn are due to popularity or liscensing problems.

And surely PS4 will be able to easily emulate a ps2 if the ps3 can't do it.

You don't think Sony wants to entice people who bought the largest collections of games/supported PSP most? It's not about being 'personal', it's about business. And smart business = making the people who give you the most money happy, and continuing to make money selling the same thing to new customers. Following that logic, PSP2 will have BC.
Or they know psp fans will buy a psp2 esp if it offers vastly improved graphics that a modern design can provide that a faster psp can't. In fact I'd think many of sony's most devoted buyers would be pissed if the psp 2 was just a faster psp. Cell phones will eclipse the graphics of it quite easily.

I've used that logic to predict how the ipad would run iphone's OS/app store not OSX as many predicted, Nintendo's kept BC for each system in the gameboy/ds line.
So the giant iphone was going to run OSX ? I don't think anyone believed that. Esp once it was known what the specs were.

Granted I used that logic to predict the Go would never be made (it would sell poorly, and would cause retailer boycotts, and it did both) I doubt Sony is stupid enough to repeat that mistake a second time.

A psp2 go launched from the start instead of a phsyical format would not face teh same problems and would sell extremely good.

Anyone who thinks Sony will ditch UMD should read this: http://www.onelastcontinue.com/1628/editorial-psp2-umd-bad-idea/[/QUOTE]

heh

Carts: I doubt they’ll suddenly change format to carts because that’s just common sense. Sony practically wants to say they invented disc media, they won’t change to something Nintendo has done since the beginning.

WTF is this ? Seroiusly what kind of an excuse is this ? Sony will make the best choice for their system. That is a Rom based system. Either through carts or through DD to internal and exernal falsh.

Memory Sticks (Pro Duo) as central storage: They can’t go with memory sticks as central storage because the largest they can get is 8 gigs and anyone with a modded PSP could tell you that’s not enough to store more than 5 large games or 10 small games. I’ve been told that if a Memory Stick was used as central storage, you would then store the games on your PC or PS3 and then transfer to the PSP2 when you want to swap out. However if this was the case then piracy would be easier than the days of the Dreamcast. Plus, forcing a PSP2 owner to actually have a Playstation 3 or PC in order to store the games is an insta-death to the system. If the hardware can’t work alone, you can’t sell it alone. If you can’t sell hardware alone, it won’t sell at all.

Yes cause UMD's are so hard to copy right ............. yea right its easy as pie.

Memory sticks would work just fine. They can tie the game to the mac adress of the psp 2 and to the account name using DRM

Also flash will only grow . There are 64 gig SD cards already. Only thing preventing them from being main stream is pricing and avaliblity. The price will decrease once they move to the next mcron process.

Tiny Hard Disc Drive: You do realize that the PSP is a portable system that moves and shakes a lot, right? You also realize that hard disc drives have movable parts and shouldn’t be moved around and shaken a lot, right? Then you already know why this option isn’t viable.

So umds are magic spining discs that don't have to deal with any of that ?

You seem to ignore hat everyone else keeps posting

1) Carts are much faster than optical discs.
2 ) Carts have no moving parts
3) Carts use much much less power
4) Crs are much smaller physicly than discs (yes even umd)
5) People want small protable systems. Disc drives prevent that

I would be shocked if sony went with aother disc next gen. In fact I can tell you , i wouldn't buy it if they did. In 2010/11/12 or whenever this comes out , I don't need to carry discs with me anymore.

I know BC has a draw for early adopters (actually LB corrected us on the proper term for the earliest of early adaopters but I forget what it is!),
<...>
"Innovators". Weird how words can have counter-intuitive meanings in business context.

I agree that architectural/hardware BC is a lot, lot to expect from PSP2. I just see BC in general as a goal worth striving for, if it doesn't throw a wrench in the larger plan. If something based on software emulation was feasible, even if for only a subset of games, that would look like a fine feature to me, and worth pursuing.

I agree. However, I wouldn't add BC through ahrdware media support, which is what NeoTechni is advocating - a whole new hardware based on the old design purely for BC purposes, irrespective of advances in mobile architectures that are capable of much better performance across the board. This idea of basing your design on retro hardware worked for Wii because it had the novel control scheme, but if Wii was level pegging on features with PS360 only with it's utterly outdated hardware, it'd have got nowhere. If BC hardware doesn't result in a net increase in overall value of your product - and PSP hardware either shoehorned into PSP2, or extended into PSP2, certainly won't - then it's better forgotten, and BC should be sought through emulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back