The history of Physical Media Playback Issues during Early Phases of Adoption *off-topic cleanup*

To be really honest, I am pretty sure that >90% of all people who bought Xbox One for UHD BD, don't even know that the majority of titles are upscaled 1080P discs, resold as "4K".

Consoles are often sold to people who don't have a single clue.

To be really honest, I am pretty sure that >90% of all people who bought Xbox One for UHD BD, don't even know that the majority of titles are upscaled 1080P discs, resold as "4K".

Consoles are often sold to people who don't have a single clue.
and yet I'm sure that people who bought stand alone dedicated uhd players, would be just as clueless then.
so it wouldn't be just clueless console people.
maybe there smarter for not paying more for dedicated player given your accersion about upscaling etc

They look better, though. A generic realtime algorithm can do an effective (if not always perfect) job creating more apparent resolution when upscaling a compressed 1080p source to 4K. A professional mastering house, who can use non-realtime algorithms running on high-end workstations to upscale the original uncompressed 2K digital master to 4K, and can tweak those algorithms on a scene by scene basis to achieve best results, can do much better. Then you add WCG and HDR. The differences aren't subtle now and will only improve when displays can fully represent what the format is capable of.

They look better, though. A generic realtime algorithm can do an effective (if not always perfect) job creating more apparent resolution when upscaling a compressed 1080p source to 4K. A professional mastering house, who can use non-realtime algorithms running on high-end workstations to upscale the original uncompressed 2K digital master to 4K, and can tweak those algorithms on a scene by scene basis to achieve best results, can do much better. Then you add WCG and HDR. The differences aren't subtle now and will only improve when displays can fully represent what the format is capable of.

Any positive difference is offset by the Xbox One S image quality problems (black crush, color saturation) as well as frame drops which frequently manifest, not to mention Universal discs not even playing in the beginning.
As I said before: "Consoles are often sold to people who don't have a single clue."

On paper, the UHD feature is great, yes, but once you compare it to 200 dollar players, it performs like a 100 dollar player. At best.

Any positive difference is offset by the Xbox One S image quality problems (black crush, color saturation) as well as frame drops which frequently manifest, not to mention Universal discs not even playing in the beginning.
As I said before: "Consoles are often sold to people who don't have a single clue."

On paper, the UHD feature is great, yes, but once you compare it to 200 dollar players, it performs like a 100 dollar player. At best.

Source please, thanks.

Source please, thanks.

A lot of discs are not even working to this day
https://forums.xbox.com/en-US/thread/3383CDC1-2D23-4C3D-944E-829B7A54C9AC?commentOffset=0&page=1

Even the cheapest Samsung UHD player plays every UHD disc ever released ,
Xbox One S to this day does not have 100% compatibility with UHD discs

I am actually happy that my PS4 Pro does not have such a worthless 4K blu ray player. Imagine getting a disc as a present for Christmas, and then not even being able to watch it...

Will Scorpio drop the UHD BD player? MS was never able to fix the Xbox One S player so I think they gave up

Thats just MS software development plan nowadays. Make checklists, not thoroughly tested, working software.

Fun fact: in Europe UHD BD compatibility is removed from all Xbox One S packaging. My guess is they also deleted in from the manual, I will look for it and update

about 10 to 20% of all (100) titles released
Okay. You really ought to provide decent numbers and references when you present an argument, especially one as damaging as this. Looking at the thread, it's all Lucy and Oblivion heads and tails, but in the middle of the conversation there are other titles mentioned. A decent summary by you instead of just a link to the thread would make conversation better. That is, when you made this post, you should have phrased it more like this:

Any positive difference is offset by the Xbox One S image quality problems (black crush, color saturation) as well as frame drops which frequently manifest (link), not to mention Universal discs not even playing in the beginning. Eg a good dozen titles reported in this thread by XB1S users.

As I said before: "Consoles are often sold to people who don't have a single clue." should have been left out because a lot of what your saying isn't common knowledge so everyone's clueless except those affected.

A lot of discs are not even working to this day
https://forums.xbox.com/en-US/thread/3383CDC1-2D23-4C3D-944E-829B7A54C9AC?commentOffset=0&page=1

Even the cheapest Samsung UHD player plays every UHD disc ever released ,
Xbox One S to this day does not have 100% compatibility with UHD discs

I am actually happy that my PS4 Pro does not have such a worthless 4K blu ray player. Imagine getting a disc as a present for Christmas, and then not even being able to watch it...

Will Scorpio drop the UHD BD player? MS was never able to fix the Xbox One S player so I think they gave up

The problems are mostly related to two films released by universal, Lucy and Oblivion. How does one resolve the issue? Contact Universal, who will send you replacement discs because the problem originated on their end.

The problems are mostly related to two films released by universal, Lucy and Oblivion. How does one resolve the issue? Contact Universal, who will send you replacement discs because the problem originated on their end.

It appears people like you are MicroSofts target audience.

Here are some movies which crash, fail to playback, have audio stutters/dropouts, or have frame drops:
The Revenant
Deadpool
Batman vs Superman
The Martian
Mad Max Fury Road
Huntsman Winters War
Snow White & the Huntsman
Lucy
Oblivion
Now You See Me 2
Eddie the Eagle
Startrek into Darkness

that should be about 10%

Google "0x91d70000" , "0x91d70001"

There are even regular Blu-ray Discs which fail to playback, or crash
To this day, all Blu-ray Discs play on every blu-ray certified player in existence, aside for MS blu-ray players.

Thats just MS software development plan nowadays. Make checklists, not thoroughly tested, working software.
I'm not sure how the video format works. When a publisher like Universal releases a disc they must be responsible on testing it with varying brands of hardware before releasing it right? Otherwise these companies would be firmware patching their disc players all the time right ?

I'm not sure how the video format works. When a publisher like Universal releases a disc they must be responsible on testing it with varying brands of hardware before releasing it right? Otherwise these companies would be firmware patching their disc players all the time right ?

All Universal discs regardless of production date work on every single standalone UHD blu-ray player ever released. They work on every player before Xbox One S came to market, and they work on every player that was released after Xbox One S.

As I said before: "Consoles are often sold to people who don't have a single clue." should have been left out because a lot of what your saying isn't common knowledge so everyone's clueless except those affected.

It used to say it on the box and most consumers are led to believe, and protected by law btw, that what is advertised should be delivered. At least in Europe. Myself I also believed it was a 4K BD player, but it really is not. Region locks aside, a DVD will work in a DVD player; a BD will work in a BD player. If some or most work, then IMO it does not really work. I want to watch John Wick in 4K* (*upscaled from a 2K master) because I supposedly have a 4K BD player/Xbox One S. Oh no I am shit out of luck.

It appears people like you are MicroSofts target audience.
This is a very trollish remark. As is your follow-up. You're blaming the consumer for being too stupid to buy a console expecting it to work as advertised. It's an issue with the hardware/firmware/software. MS haven't deliberately duped anyone and there are no suckers. Either the situation will be resolved* or not, but the situation is a mistake. Similar to your 'nVidia'd Nintendo' commentary, your attitude is definitely not Beyond3D stuff and you need to learn to be more respectful to the players involved. Or at least back up conspiracy theories and controversial ideas with decent arguments presented intelligently and with suitable evidence.

* eg. Both MS and Sony hardware last gen went through the phase of 'everything is normal' to 'we're getting some reports' to 'yes there's a manufacturing defect in the new lead-free solder' to solution - it happens.

Region locks aside, a DVD will work in a DVD player

Heh, you obviously weren't around during the start of the DVD generation. There was plenty of DVD players that couldn't play all DVD releases. In fact, it was a minority of DVD players that could play 100% of DVD releases. I spent over 6 months carefully tracking reviews of DVD players before finally settling on one back in the 90's.

IIRC, PS2 couldn't even play 100% of DVD releases at launch. However, PS2 featured upgradable firmware and eventually this was a non-issue.

Regards,
SB

Heh, you obviously weren't around during the start of the DVD generation. There was plenty of DVD players that couldn't play all DVD releases. In fact, it was a minority of DVD players that could play 100% of DVD releases. I spent over 6 months carefully tracking reviews of DVD players before finally settling on one back in the 90's.

IIRC, PS2 couldn't even play 100% of DVD releases at launch. However, PS2 featured upgradable firmware and eventually this was a non-issue.

Regards,
SB

Had to do a firmware upgrade or two on my stupidly expensive 1998 PC DVD drive to make sure it worked properly with everything.

(Then had to use a hacked firmware on my hardware DVD decoder to get unlimited region changes).

Kids these days don't know they're born!

is it possible for all this uhd Blu-ray talk to be spun of?
when I mentioned it, it was in the context of how consumers can cope/come to terms with new entries into the ecosystem.
uhd Blu-ray has had the Blu-ray 4k upscaling players mudying the waters.

at the very minimum gamers with 4k tvs wouldn't mind having devices and games that can take advantage of it, even if it's currently a small group.
the trouble with new TV standards is always having content to take advantage of it.

Back