The history of Physical Media Playback Issues during Early Phases of Adoption *off-topic cleanup*

Last edited:
Heh, you obviously weren't around during the start of the DVD generation. There was plenty of DVD players that couldn't play all DVD releases. In fact, it was a minority of DVD players that could play 100% of DVD releases. I spent over 6 months carefully tracking reviews of DVD players before finally settling on one back in the 90's.

IIRC, PS2 couldn't even play 100% of DVD releases at launch. However, PS2 featured upgradable firmware and eventually this was a non-issue.

Regards,
SB

About only a minority having 100% playback: I really doubt that, no offence.

PS2 did not have upgradeable firmware, I actually was the owner of the first European model. Every 1st and 2nd gen PS2 had DVD issues; the sound would get out of sync among other things. I bought the DVD remote which featured software (2MB) that needed to be installed in order for the extra features (like reverse slowmotion, buttons for A-B playback and so on) to work, but it did not have any influence on video playback or disc readability. They exchanged mine out of warranty when I brought up the DVD playback issues. from SCPH 35004 or a later one DVD playback was flawless

DVD is a standard; to carry the logo a devise needs to be able to do certain things, if it doesn't it's either broken, or broken by design. You could exchange it either way. DVD-R and or `ddvd

Blu-ray players need to be able to do things like have upgradable firmware for example. There were a few specs within the first year 1.0 1.1 and 2.0, playback is required on all those devises. If it doesn't play, the devise is broken. If the manufacturer doesn't fix it, their licence will be revoked or something. I am mailing the BD consortium about Xbox One S. MS is saying they are aware of the problem from august last year. To this day there are still problems

I am mailing the BD consortium about Xbox One S.

For a device you don't own? FUD much? You sound like a kid who got their candy taken away & now you're having a tantrum until you get your way. Have fun with that.

Thank you mods for splitting this off. Unfortunately I still don't think he has learned his manners yet.

Tommy McClain

For a device you don't own? FUD much? You sound like a kid who got their candy taken away & now you're having a tantrum until you get your way. Have fun with that.

By not adhering to the UHD BD standard, MicroSoft is damaging the public perception of that standard. Many people believe Xbox One S is a great UHD BD player, imagine what happens when friends or family ask about UHD BD?
"UHD BD? It has great image quality, though there is a lot of black crush and frame rate issues compared to regular BD, and not all discs play most of the time, but aside from that UHD BD is pretty amazing!"
People might stay away from UHD BD if the standard appears so trashy. What if Sony thinks this is acceptable and puts hardware and software of equal quality in the PS4 Platinum or PS5? Somebody needs to act, I still have copies of my Xbox One S receipts so I think I can do this.

I am doing this for all of you, especially people who are still a fan of MS or UHD BD. I don't need your thanks, it is my duty, as a former Xbox fan.

I'm not sure which is worse, Sony not supporting UHD at all or MS trying to support UHD and encountering bumps along the way exactly the same way DVD, HD-DVD and BluRay technologies have.

I'm not sure which is worse, Sony not supporting UHD at all or MS trying to support UHD and encountering bumps along the way exactly the same way DVD, HD-DVD and BluRay technologies have.

MS did not invent UHD blu-ray, the only thing MS did was create a device which supposedly uses the standard,
but is the only device from all released UHD players (some available for purchase a full year before Xbox One S was even announced!) that has problems with color output, being able to read discs, and being able do so without framedrops.

If Samsung, Philips, Panasonic, LG, Pioneer, Oppo, and all other brands that have UHD BD players on the market had problems then yes, you could try to spin it as "bumps along the way". As it stands now, Xbox One S is the only 4K blu-ray player that, in Europe, does not list 4K blu-ray compatibility on the box/packaging
MS still claims compatibility in the online manual. I would like to see that removed, until they fix it.

We won't know until much later, so stop making statements that you have no means of knowing. Until time passes and the end happens, we can only safely assume it's bumps along the way very similar to how all the other technology has encountered.

About only a minority having 100% playback: I really doubt that, no offence.

That's your prerogative, you could go down to a large US library and look through their magazine starting around 1997 and look it up yourself. You'll see that the vast majority of DVD players could not play all DVD releases within the US. Things were slightly better by the time players and movies started to be released in Europe (1998), but not all players could play all DVD releases even then.

DVD is a standard; to carry the logo a devise needs to be able to do certain things, if it doesn't it's either broken, or broken by design. You could exchange it either way. DVD-R and or `ddvd

You could certainly return it to the retailer just like you can with XBO-S. However, manufacturers would not refund you. You could try to get a warranty repair claim, but that would generally result in either a refused claim (working as designed) or the machine would get sent back if you lied about why it required a warrant repair.

Blu-ray players need to be able to do things like have upgradable firmware for example. There were a few specs within the first year 1.0 1.1 and 2.0, playback is required on all those devises. If it doesn't play, the devise is broken. If the manufacturer doesn't fix it, their licence will be revoked or something. I am mailing the BD consortium about Xbox One S. MS is saying they are aware of the problem from august last year. To this day there are still problems

While it is nice to have upgradable firmware, first generation BD devices weren't required to have upgradable firmware, and not all of them did. Thus some first generation BD players never got the ability to play all BD releases. This was further complicated when newer BD disks were released after those devices launched that required firmware updates on all first generation BD devices in order to access some content on those disks.

Complicating that even further is that the copy protection used for BD changes over time, necessitating firmware upgrades in order to be able to play newer disks. Guess what, even then not all manufacturer's will release updated firmware to play new releases, resulting in BD players that can no longer play all BD disks that are released.

https://hdguru.com/blu-ray-player-firmware-upgrade-issues/

Sometimes, manufacturers just stop supporting their products, even models only a few years old.

Guess what? All those manufacturers that don't upgrade firmware so their previously sold devices can still play all BD releases? Yup, they still get to keep their BD license.

Here's another article about it featuring Samsung.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2013...sung-blu-ray-player-may-not-play-your-movies/

Oh and Sony sometimes has problems with BD playback as well.

https://community.sony.com/t5/Blu-R...on-t-play-on-Blu-ray-player/td-p/99903/page/3

I wonder if Sony removed their BD certification logo from internet media while they attempted to fix the issue? I'm going to guess they didn't. I wonder if they lost their BD certification due to it? I'm going to guess not. Samsung? Yup they still have BD certification.

Regards,
SB

We won't know until much later

We don't have to wait for other brands to have problems with UHD BD playback, again, MS is the only company. Or are you expecting the Sony UHD player which is releasing soon to have problems similar to Xbox One S?

bumps along the way very similar to how all the other technology has encountered.

Here is an analogy:
The CD is introduced(=UHD BD analogy):
Sony, Philips, Akai and Denon have produced CD players, they all play every released CD perfectly.
Now comes MS, entering the home audio market. They put a CD player inside windows 3 PC's (=Xbox One S analogy). It doesn't reliably play back CD's from Warner Music(=UHD universal studios analogy), and it skips on other cd's, also on all cd's that it does play, the audio is not fully 44.1kHz (=black crush, not full color gamut analogy)

We don't have to wait for other brands to have problems with UHD BD playback, again, MS is the only company. Or are you expecting the Sony UHD player which is releasing soon to have problems similar to Xbox One S?

Here is an analogy:
The CD is introduced(=UHD BD analogy):
Sony, Philips, Akai and Denon have produced CD players, they all play every released CD perfectly.
Now comes MS, entering the home audio market. They put a CD player inside windows 3 PC's (=Xbox One S analogy). It doesn't reliably play back CD's from Warner Music(=UHD universal studios analogy), and it skips on other cd's, also on all cd's that it does play, the audio is not fully 44.1kHz (=black crush, not full color gamut analogy)

You continue to state things as fact with nothing to back them up. At least with CD's it's excusable because like with DVD's it's difficult to cite a source that only exists in periodicals of the time.

However, you might want to look up the reasons why that was happening. I'll be helpful and provide a link for you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copy_Control

I'll even quote a part of it in case you don't want to read it.

Systems other than Windows can just as easily play Copy Control discs, as many players on Windows are proprietary and respect the copy-restrictions. Similarly, the auto-launchers are only written for Windows and will only ambush Windows users (this can be mitigated by disabling autorun). There is little that can be done to stop a user who is not running Windows from ripping a Copy Control disc.

It was basically the music industry attempting to prevent people from ripping music CDs. What you had to do during that period of time was to disable auto-run, so that Windows wouldn't run an application on the CD that was only put there specifically for users of Windows devices.

Later, Sony were blasted for a much more invasive and harmful version of this behavior (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_copy_protection_rootkit_scandal ).

The problem wasn't Microsoft, the problem was the music companies. Auto-run was designed as a way to make computers easier to use for people that were computer illiterate. It may be hard for people to understand these days, but back in the 90's (when auto-run was conceptualized) not many people knew how to use a computer. That was problematic as someone buying a computer for the first time often didn't know how to install a program they bought from a store.

Leave it to the music companies to take what was a convenience for people and instead turn it into something nefarious.

Auto-run isn't something that can exist in the modern world (internet connectivity, prevalence of malware, etc.). But the 90's were a totally different time. And Auto-run was a key component in expanding the use of computers among your average consumer.

Regards,
SB

From your own source:

Copy Control discs cannot properly be referred to as CDs because the system introduces incompatible data, making the discs non-compliant with the Red Book standard for audio CDs.

[...]

As the Copy Control discs do not conform to the requirements of the CD standard, they are not labeled with the CDDA logo, which is trademarked by Philips. A Copy Control "CD" which would not play in a car CD player was deemed "defective" in a French 2003 lawsuit, and every recent Copy Control released disc carries visible Copy Control notices stating merely compatibility with CDs and the possibility of playback problems "on some equipment, for example car CD players".

UHD BD however, is UHD BD, and thus, should be able to be played on devices which were advertised as such, like Xbox One S.
MS can remove every reference to UHD BD from the box, but it is my estimate that 99.9673% of all potential consumers will assume that Xbox One S is fully compatible with UHD BD. They should remove it from the website and add:

Xbox One S is compatible with most UHD BD movies. You may experience unintended framedrops. The system is unable to properly reproduce the full range of colours, as well as properly reproduce black levels

IMO they should be required to have this info on every ad until they have a fix.

From your own source:

Pssssst. Then that also doesn't apply to Windows not being able to play CDs. Since those don't "count" as CD's then Windows had absolutely no problems playing CDs. Ergo, your post that I replied to is still incorrect WRT Windows having problems playing CDs.

IMO they should be required to have this info on every ad until they have a fix.

So, should the Samsung and LG UHD BD players also be required to have that? Go to the AVSForums and you'll see threads with people discussing frame drops, playback stopping and color reproduction compared to other UHD BD players for both Samsung and LG players. Eventually firmware is released that may or may not address the situation.

Considering that threads of said UHD BD players can be upwards of 400+ pages long, it's difficult to track whether problems get resolved or not for someone (like me) that's only casually interested in the UHD BD (mostly for the HDR as I don't care about the 4k).

So sure, once I see Samsung and LG including those disclaimer's I'll agree that Microsoft should have to carry them as well.

Regards,
SB

Windows and cd was meant as an analogy honestly, I don't use windows so I didn't know windows can't playback some modern discs that contain audio.

This is what is happening:

1) a new format comes out which works as advertised on all devices
2) a device is released by company X which has many problems with the format
3) newer devices are released afterwards which don't have the problems with the format
4) as it stands company X is the only one with a device on the market which has problems with the new format
5) company X removes all mentions of the new format from the packaging

I am addressing all this, but people are saying "well company Y had problems in the past with new format Z so people should not be critical of company X"
I have to remind you that 3 days ago people on this forum didn't even know of the problems the device from company X had with the new format.

Don't shoot the messenger though. My country has the best customer protection laws, and I will get this fixed.

Windows and cd was meant as an analogy honestly, I don't use windows so I didn't know windows can't playback some modern discs that contain audio.

This is what is happening:

1) a new format comes out which works as advertised on all devices
2) a device is released by company X which has many problems with the format
3) newer devices are released afterwards which don't have the problems with the format
4) as it stands company X is the only one with a device on the market which has problems with the new format
5) company X removes all mentions of the new format from the packaging

I am addressing all this, but people are saying "well company Y had problems in the past with new format Z so people should not be critical of company X"
I have to remind you that 3 days ago people on this forum didn't even know of the problems the device from company X had with the new format.

Don't shoot the messenger though. My country has the best customer protection laws, and I will get this fixed.

It's fine that you are attempting to make people aware of an issue that exists. Noone has a problem with that.

The problem here is the sweeping statements, often without a link or citation. Often the statements are incorrect. That could potentially make people doubt legitimate complaints that you have.

The second problem is that it isn't uncommon for companies to have problems with the introduction of something new into the marketplace despite the technology only building on a prior technology.

As a case in point, I was casually browsing through one of the LG UHD BD threads over at AVSForums. Some users were having playback issues with their UHD BD player with some disks. Theoretically, it shouldn't have problems as the format is based on the existing BD format. However, people were speculating that since the BD was one of the first BDXL disks, that's what might be causing the playback issues. Single and dual layer disks played back without issue in that player.

There's also issues people are running into with some UHD BD players where after a BD is played a few times the machine won't play them anymore. Some have resolved the issue by cleaning the disks. Some have resolved the issue by cleaning the BD drive's laser. These are often machines or disks that are only days or weeks old. They shouldn't require cleaning every few playbacks.

There's also been issues with people not being able to play BD disks right out of the package. However, some have been able to resolve that via cleaning the disk (out of brand new package!). But some still can't get certain disks to play in their LG or Samsung player and wonder whether its their player or their disk that is defective.

I suspect that the XBO-S gets a lot of reports about issues just because it is likely sold to far more people than most BD players at this point in time due to a variety of factors including cost. However, that only influences the frequency of reported problems. The problems still exist, and Microsoft obviously should do whatever it can do to resolve them.

So again, it's not entirely correct to say the XBO-S is the "only" UHD BD player to have problems. It may or may not have the worst problems. It certainly does have problems. Those problems are definitely not good. But they aren't exactly uncommon when it comes to the introduction of something new.

Who knows perhaps one of the reasons that Sony stayed out of UHD BD players is because they knew there was a higher than average chance for something to go wrong. BDXL disks, for example, likely feature significantly tighter tolerances than single or dual layer BDXL disks. That means that it's much easier for the read laser in a BDXL drive to become misaligned. Which may be the cause of why some LG UHD BD owners are having problems.

Regards,
SB

If Samsung, Philips, Panasonic, LG, Pioneer, Oppo, and all other brands that have UHD BD players on the market had problems then yes, you could try to spin it as "bumps along the way".
If you don't consider it bumps along the way, what do you attribute the problems to? MS deliberately trying to sabotage the UHD standard? :???:

If you don't consider it bumps along the way, what do you attribute the problems to? MS deliberately trying to sabotage the UHD standard? :???:

They don't care about it and seem to think they can get away with their sloppy implementation. Consumer ignorance as well as fans of the company will cover up most faults.

Same with the Surface series. When using bluetooth wifi speeds would drop significantly. They promised a fix, of course it never came. What do fans of the company suggest? I should change my wifi at home and at my workplace, or I should buy another mouse but with a dongle, or buy a dock or a cabled mouse and attach to that. It was a non issue in their eyes and they would advise a SP2 to everyone. MS simply does not care. To this day every surface device has problems with battery life, keyboard covers, wifi speeds and so on. Surface Book also has problems with battery life, the fact that they never get fixed would suggest the lie about it in the first place. They bring it to market hope they can fix it afterwards, but from 2012 on for about 5 years, all majors problems with Surface series have never really been fixed.

This shows me they simply do not care about it. Did MS try to sabotage Wifi speeds? Or battery life? Did they design the keyboard cover to disconnect after a few months? Probably not, but they have displayed time and time again that they don't care about fixing problems.

You're arguing from the position of a bitter victim. These exist for all companies. Sony have their fair share of shitty do-nothing experiences with me, just as MS does. Truth is these companies service millions of people and, for whatever reason, the issues of some thousand don't have the priority. We all get sent around the basic routine with no real solutions. I had an issue with my PS4, network chat or something, and the routine was go through the whole rigmarole of backup and factory reset. Sod that! Defective products/services have always happened but now we have an internet cataloguing faults. I guess in The Olden Days we had consumer TV programmes like Watchdog.

Difference between me and you is, I'd say, balance. I have a Surface Pro 4 and it's not great, but I know quite a few devices that aren't great. nVidia Shield Tablet is a joke by comparison IMO. The fact other people can use the same device without problem shows it's not an endemic fault and not an easy fix. There are people out there having issues with TVs and amps and all sorts, with problems that never get fixed mostly, I believe, because the manufacturers can't replicate and identify the problem - certainly not economically enough to do it. There are many embittered consumers swearing they'll never buy Sony/Samsung/Apple/Microsoft/Toyota/BT etc again because of such-and-such. But there are no perfect companies, no perfect solutions, and consumers can only pick and choose from a number of faulted players. How many companies actually have 'good' rated consumer service?! I can only think of Amazon.

If you genuinely want to be consumer-helpful, inform people in an emotionally distant way. That way your arguments against XB1S as a UHD player will be heard instead of dismissed as the ramblings of a fanatic with a biased agenda. ;)

If you genuinely want to be consumer-helpful, inform people in an emotionally distant way. That way your arguments against XB1S as a UHD player will be heard instead of dismissed as the ramblings of a fanatic with a biased agenda. ;)

But he is right. XBOneS is a crap UHD Blu-ray player and seems to have problems no other player has.

But he is right. XBOneS is a crap UHD Blu-ray player and seems to have problems no other player has.

This is what dark10x from digital foundry wrote (About Arrival and watching it on his One S)

OK, after rebooting so many times, uninstalling the and reinstalling the app, clearing the cache, cycling different movies in, changing options back and forth and more - it finally loaded. No idea why it decided to work but it finally did.

So at least I can watch it tonight but, man, that was a frustrating experience.

if CD, DVD or BD ever had this kind of shit then those platforms would have died at birth

Back