The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because of the contrast in that vid, its hard to tell if the cars touch, but it doesn't look like they do. The damage leaves much to be desired, but you aren't exactly going to notice that kind of problem while you're racing. It would be more noticeable in replays.

And unfortunately that is how it is done when the vendors will not allow deformation. They will just swap out a piece of the car model and/or texture in general locations.

^^ Vendors do allow deformation, just not to the coupe (where the passengers are) for most manufacturers, its has nothing to do with licencing and has everything to do with Turn10 making a scripted damage model and not bothering to make more damage zones than the few they had in FM2.

In case you haven't noticed, FM3 does have deformation, its just that its scripted.

Damn they really brought the WRC cars in there. I can recognize a few I saw at this year's WRC!!

I really hope they also have the actual WRC tracks too.

Just curious, what are those rules in general ? (Why is WRC "special" ?)

I cant remember the details, but if I remember correctly there are rules on things like speed limit.

Also I think there will be rules applied on the car tunings as well. Since the B-group cars were banned from WRC, the amount and type of car modifications have been limited for safety purposes (edit: ) and for competitive purposes.

edit: Special in what respect?

Kazunori mentioned that WRC rules are very complex. Does that mean you have to know the rules too when you race ?

Aren't you confusing with Nascar? I'm pretty sure he said Nascar rules are pretty complex, and that he didn't know if they could fit them all in, but they would try anyway.

I assume other GT5 race modes don't have rules like speed limit, mod limitations ?

The difference between speed limit in WRC and the other race modes is that in WRC your car is not allowed to surpass a certain limit while racing. Dont quote m on that though because I dont remember clearly. In other race modes the speed limit is directly related to the car classes i.e you are not allowed to use an S class car in a certain A class car race.

Also in WRC there are point to point races with parts of the course not counting in the time trials. ie the driver will race in a certain course that is timed. After he covers the distance, he will directly enter a course that is not timed that will lead him to the next timed course.

But yeah I think he was referring to NASCAR not WRC.

but you aren't exactly going to notice that kind of problem while you're racing. It would be more noticeable in replays.
If you look it that way you shouldn't notice low-res texture in a FPS. But you do.

About rules , he said NASCAR ;
“The most difficult part is actually NASCAR,” he says. “Their rules are really, really complex. It’s almost the difference between soccer and American football. I’m not quite sure of just how much of NASCAR’s rules we’ll be able to implement into the game, but we’re going to try.”

If you look it that way you shouldn't notice low-res texture in a FPS. But you do..

there is a big difference between driving a car at 200mph and having textures flying by and playing a FPS game where you walk around and you have time to admire the low res textures.

I think his point was simply that while racing, your not going to notice a lot of these low res textures as you are constantly on the move at a high speed. Things will blur, things will move by very quickly etc. Your mostly going to notice it during replays and screenshots. While playing, not so much.

In an fps game its completely different.

there is a big difference between driving a car at 200mph and having textures flying by and playing a FPS game where you walk around and you have time to admire the low res textures.

I think his point was simply that while racing, your not going to notice a lot of these low res textures as you are constantly on the move at a high speed. Things will blur, things will move by very quickly etc. Your mostly going to notice it during replays and screenshots. While playing, not so much.

In an fps game its completely different.
No there's no big difference.

Why do people keep praising Forza 3's environment then? It is a racing game that you drive constantly at a high speed and you have to focus on track , not the environment. But people keep praising it.

Damage modelling faults happen on the track so noticing them will not be that hard. Here's a scenario ; you chase 2 cars which are going side-by-side. After a while one touches to the other car and that contact damages both cars' whole rear bumpers & tail lights! If you think you're not gonna notice this fault while chasing them , then you're wrong.

No there's no big difference.

Why do people keep praising Forza 3's environment then? It is a racing game that you drive constantly at a high speed and you have to focus on track , not the environment. But people keep praising it.

Damage modelling faults happen on the track so noticing them will not be that hard. Here's a scenario ; you chase 2 cars which are going side-by-side. After a while one touches to the other car and that contact damages both cars' whole rear bumpers & tail lights! If you think you're not gonna notice this fault while chasing them , then you're wrong.

They keep praising the environment because when you're watching a replay or in photomode, you have time to admire stuff like that...

...pretty simple. A lot of details are missed when you're actually racing.

It isn't even that imo. The environments make a BIG difference--if they didn't we would all be racing in Atari style worlds with photorealistic cars. It is called balance.

Take PGR4 which by all accounts has extremely detailed environments that look great. Now I am sure there are games that may have higher resolution textures or more geometry in the world assets. In fact the PGR buildings when up close have surprisingly "low" texture resolution.

But at (a) the distance you race from the buildings and (b) the speed you travel, even when going slow, BC reached the right compromise for detail.

So it isn't an issue of, "Environments don't matter" -- of *course* they matter! The question is if a low resolutiond decal 30 feet off track makes a difference to *harming* the visual experience while gaming. Does a "low quality" proper that looks great in gameplay (but poor if you go off the gameplay "track" to go check it out closely) really matter? Do we want designers to create far off / less relevant props of equal quality and diminish other props to do so? e.g. Should the mountains 30 miles away in racing games be amazing photos or should they model all that in realtime? Duh.

Anyhow, with Burnout crushing racing games in terms of damage and GRiD laughing at the sims (even maybe Toca 3!) in terms of visual modeling I get a chuckle looking back at all the anti-damage rhetoric for sims in the 2005-2007 threads here at B3D. Where is all the venom demanding GT5 *not* include damage modelling until it is realistic in terms of performance and visuals? That line of thought seems more appropriate for this thread than lapsing back into comparing.

Did everyone just change their mind? Where are all those GT fanatics that bemoaned damage ever coming to their franchise? (Real question! A lot better than where the above was going too).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back