The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, the game will miss all the critiques then.

Have you completed GT PSP yet ? How long is the game ?

I'll comment on that in more detail in the GT PSP thread, but long story short, I think GT PSP is awesome, and is going to be my go-to PSP game for a *very* long time. In terms of length, there are 102 challenges. If you can finish all of those at a minute each, that's 102 minutes. Then there are about 35 tracks, with reverse and such ending up in about 70 variations. Just driving all those with just one car just two laps will take at the very least 3 minutes each on average, so that's 210 minutes. If you want to get up to S level on all of the tracks (which is basically the career mode here), you need to win at all seventy tracks at least 8 times. Let's say that it takes you 3 minutes again, that's 1680 minutes. And of course, assuming you've collected enough cash or copied enough cars from others, you can pick a different car for each of those 560 races and still not have driven all different cars.

Then there's the collecting all cars, drift mode, time trial ... I'd say that the game takes about as long as you want it to!

Finally, a special word of praise on the ad-hoc mode - the party mode particularly is brilliant. With random tracks, auto-balancing (each time you win your car performance rating goes down and you get a random but slower car assigned, and vice versa if you lose), jackpot races (winning multipliers for all, or if you are assigned the Jackpot target, then if you win you take the combined winnings for all positions AND multipliers), I really love it. If you have some friends who have this game, or a PS3 with Ad-Hoc Party, or the dexterity to set up X-Link Kai for PSP on your PC, you'll enjoy this mode a lot. I've had some 20 online races through Ad-Hoc Party with in-game voicechat, which is pretty crazy and awesome.

I just really love this game - considering to get a PSP-GO so I can play it with a DS3 and on a regular TV. :LOL: But prudence says to be happy with what I have now, and I like it more than is probably healthy for me right now already on the old 1k PSP.

It's also a great refresher for GT5 - I really noticed that I was starting to forget how to race on some of the tracks.

It's not like Play to make up a release date from the ether.

Really?

So Agent is coming on Feb 26th 2010, and Heavy Rain is being released on March 26th 2010 (which, strangely, is the same date that Play have for God of War 3).

Toyota FT-86 Concept trailer:

Haven't placed the track at the beginning yet. Looks like a WRC stage in the Alps.

THey need to turn off that stupid music playing in the background and something about that car engine sounds a bit off.

The driver in that video doesn't wear any helmet like the regular GT5P one. Does the GT5 demo in TGS have the same driver, or can you choose your own driver ? What for ?

THey need to turn off that stupid music playing in the background and something about that car engine sounds a bit off.

That's the de facto series theme music there....

I rather like the innocuous, fade-into-the-background J-Rock soundtrack in the Japanese releases of the GT games over the Americanized soundtracks that I find a bit too intrusive.

Really?

So Agent is coming on Feb 26th 2010, and Heavy Rain is being released on March 26th 2010 (which, strangely, is the same date that Play have for God of War 3).
Don't know about Agent, but I thought Heavenly Rain was basically done and they are holding it back due to a high number of good games coming out before Christmas.

Anyway, another UK retailer also has the 4th of Decemeber.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5735985/Trail/searchtext>PS3.htm

“Brand New, Real Time” Damage Coming to Gran Turismo 5
GB: Gran Turismo 5 will offer a new kind of damage…
KY: Right now we are adding a brand new real-time deformation engine that will process according to the speed and angle of impact. But doing this in real-time remains truly complex. We could make it an easier way with pre-damaged models but definitely we don’t want to make it that way.
I want to believe.

[ http://www.gtplanet.net/brand-new-real-time-damage-coming-to-gran-turismo-5/ ].

It's what I'd expect, despite being a tall order! The current showing of component-based misalignment could just be a part of a whole damage model, and deformation wasn't being applied then. I can't imagine Yamauchi being happy with the system we've seen.

I just really love this game - considering to get a PSP-GO so I can play it with a DS3 and on a regular TV. :LOL: But prudence says to be happy with what I have now, and I like it more than is probably healthy for me right now already on the old 1k PSP.

Yesterday i had the pleasure of trying GT-PSP on a PSP-GO. I find that the PSP-Go is superior to the Original PSP in every aspect, and driving was much more easy with the placement of the analog "thumb" and the feedback it gives compared to the PSP-1000. The PSP-GO jumped from "don´t care" to "ohh i guess i need one" within a few minutes of handling.

If Forza 3 hasn't been able to do simulated real time crash deformation, despite it being Turn 10's third iteration of the damage engine, I wonder how PD will manage to implement it, especially when the team has only being working on damage for a couple of months.

Even if they do get around the licensing issues (which seem to be the main problem) wouldn't real time deformation necessitate the car's structure beneath the metal being modelled? For all 900 cars? Or have they been building the models with damage in mind since development started 5 years ago?

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of interesting things still remain to be answered :rolleyes: But I think this will be a complete racing game. They also said that GT6 will not take so much time lol because for GT5 they had to do lots of things from the start

Last edited by a moderator:
If Forza 3 hasn't been able to do simulated real time crash deformation, despite it being Turn 10's third iteration of the damage engine, I wonder how PD will manage to implement it, especially when the team has only being working on damage for a couple of months.

Even if they do get around the licensing issues (which seem to be the main problem) wouldn't real time deformation necessitate the car's structure beneath the metal being modelled? For all 900 cars? Or have they been building the models with damage in mind since development started 5 years ago?

They already model individual body parts and suggesting they have only been working on it for a couple of months I suspect is well off when they actually started working on it.

Maybe Turn 10 have never even tried to go down the real time route.

Criteron managed it, I know they are good but so are Polyphony.

Yeah, they were probably working on it at least a month before GC09 (which was in August IIRC) and the game isn't released until March 2010 in Japan.

Didn't T10 spend some computing resources to spruce up the track and landscape ? May be some of those can be used on the cars. The PS3 has additional cores to deal with these sorts of calculation to begin with.

The real-time damage will be an approximation anyway. Still think damage is only relevant w.r.t. gameplay. Hopefully it makes the game more fun, or discourage cheating for you guys.

I am more curious whether they can do head tracking together with all these intensive calculations and complex rendering.

They modelled the interior. They (will) support overturn. So the bottom of the cars has to be done to Polyphony's standard already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back