The games that surprised everyone!

Deepak

B3D Yoddha
Veteran
Lets talk about games that caught everyone by surprise and in some cases overshadowed much well known franchises, I have been a gamer since last 4-5 yrs so I dont have much idea about old games....

Syphon Filter: This game came out when Metal Gear Solid had conquered the world and no-one gave it a chance (everyone thought it as MGS clone which it wasnt) but it managed to give MGS more than a fight and it held its ground against MGS...it offered great gameplay/great weapons, excellent char animation (better than MGS IMO)...auto aim feature was great (it felt great shooting (while running) enemies sitting on rooftops and see them falling down :LOL: )....he (I forgot his name) could roll sideways/shoot while running.....infact in a way it created space for 3rd person action/adventure/stealth games like Max Payne/Hitman/Headhunter....

Medal of Honor: This game proved that FPS can be fun on PSX...overall a great game, it had so many thrilling moments (you didnt know from where enemies would pop out)....I dont know if there was any great WW FPS on PC before it...

GTA3: Though this was a well known series much before GTA3, but not many people expected much out of it as last 2 games were pathetic but it did the unthinkable....it overshadowed METAL GEAR SOLID 2:SONS OF LIBERTY....I am sure it must be among 5 top selling games of all time...

Shall write later...dont have much time in office...LOL!

BTW can anyone write about any such games for other consoles (N64 etc)...

Tagrineth said:
Solid Snake can shoot while running in MGS.

Yeah! But it is not as much fun as in SF....I think it was the only annoying feature in MGS, with its top-down camera angle (mostly) it was pretty difficult to shoot precisely...

Devil May Cry sort of came out of no where too. Granted it started off as RE4, it was a totally new franchise, new gameplay concept, etc. etc.

It still ranks as one of my most enjoyable games this generation.

Mmm... surprises... er... I dunno.

Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers surprised me, the Fellowship wasn't very good IMO but TTT is fun. :)

Er... what else... I guess that's it for me.

Well, i think the biggest surprise in the last years was probably Animal Crossing, that game neither had a big name nor was it promoted strongly. Yet it managed to create a dedicated fellowship.

One game that I never give much attention was the Beatmania series. I did try them a few times in Arcade but I picked the wrong song, and thus was abit bored.

Samba D'Amigo got me started again in this genre, so I give Beatmania another go.

The new Beatmania are really damn good. Its much better than the old one, offering 7 keys now. Its fun and relaxing, overall. I've been neglecting other games for these.

Its a popular series in Japan, but I don't think its popular in other regions.

Ico. Never expected it, espescially from $ony. SMB as well. Never played it in the arcade and the multiplayer just kicks so much arse....

hahaha, a dollar sign in $ony. Never seen that before.

Next thing you know someone will find a way to fit the demeaning dollar sign into "Nintendo".

Metroid Prime:

It was a known franchise of course, but it was known as a 2d side scrolling game and was last seen on SNES quite some time ago. I think it ended up as a massive suprise for most people that a dev pulled off Metroid in full 3d and first person in such an absolutely spectacular way. Especially since it was the relatively unkown Retro Studios who pulled it off.

To tell the truth, Xbox. I expected it to be some sort of monumental failure, I wasn´t expecting it to still be around.

BoddoZerg said:
hahaha, a dollar sign in $ony. Never seen that before.

Next thing you know someone will find a way to fit the demeaning dollar sign into "Nintendo".

How about "Nintendo'$ games..."?

Back