The Full TEKKEN 6 trailer.

Heh, but seriously I think you will have to wait a bit for SC4, I'm pretty sure Tekken 6 will come out first and it's not like we have seen much info about that either . So you are better of not waiting SC4 yet or you'll die in agony!:) Crap I just realised that I haven't even played Soul Calibur 3... though I have put many hours on the second installment. I'm more of a Tekken person my self, although Mitsurugi rules!.

Can we have BIG Arenas in next gen fighting games please? And also destructible environments, that combination would rock!

Can we have BIG Arenas in next gen fighting games please? And also destructible environments, that combination would rock!

More realistic physics based animation as well. Also, there needs to be better collision detection. Varied interactive envirnoments,where you can use things as weapons would help as well, but that might be heading into brawler category.

As far as the Tekken 6 trailer, it was a dissapointment. Namco stated in a later interview that they didn't spend much time with the system at the time, and that they didn't perfect good skin textures (the main dissapointment of the trailer), and that they basically reused high rez current-gen models with added effects to make the trailer. And we all know that you can get great, realistic looking character models with great skin texture. Fight Night Round 3 is a perfect example. Namco should take note of this.

I would have rather seen more CG displaying game mechanics or something. You just don't go from a riduculously good looking CGI video to this.

More realistic physics based animation as well. Also, there needs to be better collision detection. Varied interactive envirnoments,where you can use things as weapons would help as well, but that might be heading into brawler category.

An "Ong Bak" type game would be awesome.:smile:

Well the fighting engine needs to be very similar to the originals or else they just wouldn't play the same and they shouldn't be considered the same games.

Kinda like trying to change Street Fighter's fighting engine into Mortal Kombat's one :oops: imagine!

So, surely Tekken's stiff movements can be made more realistic in order to make it look more realistic, but radically changing the fighting engine is something completely different. Remember when SEGA tried to "innovate" and made a few changes to VF's engine in VF3? People went crazy!:D

That's the problem right there. The same thing happened with Tekken 4. It played different and slower than the predecessors. I liked both VF3 and Tekken 4, because they were actually trying to do something new, but the slowness of the characters and awkwardness of the change into true 3D set both games back. Both comapnies have made minor tweaks, but it will hard to take a risk like VF3 or Tekken 4 again.

In all honesty, it would be better to create an all new fighting game franchise and possible reuse some old characters, and then hopefully, they could introduce new ideas as anm experiment.

SC3 is surprisingly rich in new content and fun; moreso, I found, than SC2 was over SC1. Not only do you get three official new characters (with fresh, divergent styles), but with the character creation (the model design stage alone can occupy you for hours!) system, you can not only make your own fighters with excellent options (to a limit. Some things don't "attach" as well, as they're generic models that aren't always scaled well), but you can mix and match weapons and fighting styles to add more diversity to the plate. It's certainly a solid step in the right direct direction towards "customizable fighting," which I've been itching for for ages. (Other attempts have been much to complex patchwork jobs in poor fighting games.)

The new "strategy" single-player mode isn't extremely strategic, but it's good for an entertaining romp once through to unlock a lot of extras. ;)

The game is supposed to be buggier than SC2, but since I'm not going to be hopping into tournament play or fighting friends who'd abuse it... <shrugs> The affects are negligible. Though I've also heard there can sometimes be safe file corruption, which would suck. -_- Make a back-up save on a 2nd card periodically, I suppose.

In the meanwhile, though, it appears to be simply better in every other way. There is no dramatic graphical or animation improvements over SC2, but there are still improvements, loading time is very fast compared to ANY game that looks that good (I see 5-8 seconds, most times), and they even toss other amusements like interactive cut scenes in the storyline play (as well as multiple, interactive endings ;) ) just for amusement's sake.

Personally, I find the only reason to keep SC2 around (the PS2 version, that is) is for the "proper way to play" matches; 8-way Random Team battles. ;) Or, I suppose, if you have a REAL hankering to play Heihachi.

thats what VF is . you cant change VF drasticly , because then.. it woulnd be VF anymore

There was once a spinoff Virtua fighter made by Tecmo... it became Dead or alive (with lots of wobly tits :p )

Well the fighting engine needs to be very similar to the originals or else they just wouldn't play the same and they shouldn't be considered the same games.

Kinda like trying to change Street Fighter's fighting engine into Mortal Kombat's one :oops: imagine!

So, surely Tekken's stiff movements can be made more realistic in order to make it look more realistic, but radically changing the fighting engine is something completely different. Remember when SEGA tried to "innovate" and made a few changes to VF's engine in VF3? People went crazy!:D

Yeah thats why I said that only a new fighting game has any real potential to become a genuine next gen fighting game :)

Last edited by a moderator:
You could always see an old one reborn, of course. One that can easily shed legacy trappings to try to be something BETTER this time around. Battle Arena Toshinden: the Next Generation, anyone? :p

A name can still be tapped--just no name with a fanbase attached unless they're supporting multiple styles simultaneously, a la Street Fighter. (And even they tend to do the "new characters, crossing a few over" thing.)

You know what game would be hilarious to see pop back all of a sudden? Time Killers! Hehe...

omg , battle arena toshinden, that looked so awesome on a demo playstation1 setup 10 years 10 years ago. bringing back some good memories (destruction derby also comes to mind)
-compared to VF1 textureles 3d gfx.
offcourse it played like shit but it had a great wow factor around ps1 launch period

omg , battle arena toshinden, that looked so awesome on a demo playstation1 setup 10 years 10 years ago. bringing back some good memories (destruction derby also comes to mind)
-compared to VF1 textureles 3d gfx.
offcourse it played like shit but it had a great wow factor around ps1 launch period

A PS3 destruction derby would be pretty sweet.

The reason why Tekken4 didn't do well was because it felt so different from previous Tekken games. For example, juggles where not as dominant in Tekken4 as it was in the previous Tekken game, Tekken Tag. Not only that, but stages where not leveled, this was a complaint as well, however to me, Tekken 4 was by far the BEST Tekken game hands down.

It had in my opinion, the best game engine out of the Tekken series, the sidestepping/sidewalking in Tekken 4 where incredibly strong, and the ability to tech. roll off the wall's where nice as well. Jab's where very strong in Tekken4, and with the game engine built the way it was, every player who wanted to get good at it, had to learn a powerful bull dogging game, and more importantly a powerful defensive game.

The only two biggest problems with Tekken 4, was some of the wall infinity glitches that they discovered near the end of Tekken 4's lifespan, and of course, the character imbalance issue. Tekken 4 Jin is the best example, never in a Tekken game before or even after going in Tekken 5, had there ever been a character who was tournament legal, and had so much domination. T4Jin literally crippled the community of the competetive part to wanting to play the game, because T4Jin was just that overpowered.

For example: T4Jin had the JFLS (Just-Frame-Laser-Scraper) this move hit mid, was 16 frames, and if it connected, either a counterhit or regularly, it would launch the opponent into the air, and this alone did 60% damage, from there on, Jin could do juggles that ended up dealing upwards of up to 100%+ damage. He also had his jabs, 1,2 and 2,1, which where powerful, especially 2,1's, because on block it gave Jin a +1 frame advantage, but if 2,1's connected, Jin got a +8 frame advantage!

Then you have Jin's d/f+4 this thing hit mid, fairly fast and it deals out 33% damage, d+4 was his sweep, it was fast, incredibly abusable on oki's, especially off of his juggles or else his 2,4 hit and it did 16%. You also had his Parry, it was 20 frames...so it was ridiculously powerful and abusable, after the parry, Jin was almost guaranteed a 2,1, JFLS, or 2,4 which lead to big damage.

There was more, but all of this added to his arsenal, he had one of the strongest bulldogging games in Tekken4, he also had a strong turtling game, he had literally the best and most consistant juggling game due to JFLS and all his other goods, and w/out a doubt, the best wallpush game in Tekken4.

So yep, Tekken4 got alot of bad rap, mainly due to the mere fact that it was too different from other previous Tekken games. However after Tekken 5 came out...all I can say is, Tekken 5 by far is the worse out of the entire Tekken series...way too newbie friendly, stupid crush system makes it feel random at times, wall combos do ridiculous damage.

Oh well...I guess I'll be looking forward to Tekken 6, hopefully they fix things up.

Gotta wait for the sequel Dragon Ball Z Sparkling Neo. It already have those elements in its current gen iterations, I am sure next gen they can multiply all those 10 times or something :)

The reason why Tekken4 didn't do well was because it felt so different from previous Tekken games. For example, juggles where not as dominant in Tekken4 as it was in the previous Tekken game, Tekken Tag. Not only that, but stages where not leveled, this was a complaint as well, however to me, Tekken 4 was by far the BEST Tekken game hands down.

It had in my opinion, the best game engine out of the Tekken series, the sidestepping/sidewalking in Tekken 4 where incredibly strong, and the ability to tech. roll off the wall's where nice as well. Jab's where very strong in Tekken4, and with the game engine built the way it was, every player who wanted to get good at it, had to learn a powerful bull dogging game, and more importantly a powerful defensive game.

The only two biggest problems with Tekken 4, was some of the wall infinity glitches that they discovered near the end of Tekken 4's lifespan, and of course, the character imbalance issue. Tekken 4 Jin is the best example, never in a Tekken game before or even after going in Tekken 5, had there ever been a character who was tournament legal, and had so much domination. T4Jin literally crippled the community of the competetive part to wanting to play the game, because T4Jin was just that overpowered.

For example: T4Jin had the JFLS (Just-Frame-Laser-Scraper) this move hit mid, was 16 frames, and if it connected, either a counterhit or regularly, it would launch the opponent into the air, and this alone did 60% damage, from there on, Jin could do juggles that ended up dealing upwards of up to 100%+ damage. He also had his jabs, 1,2 and 2,1, which where powerful, especially 2,1's, because on block it gave Jin a +1 frame advantage, but if 2,1's connected, Jin got a +8 frame advantage!

Then you have Jin's d/f+4 this thing hit mid, fairly fast and it deals out 33% damage, d+4 was his sweep, it was fast, incredibly abusable on oki's, especially off of his juggles or else his 2,4 hit and it did 16%. You also had his Parry, it was 20 frames...so it was ridiculously powerful and abusable, after the parry, Jin was almost guaranteed a 2,1, JFLS, or 2,4 which lead to big damage.

There was more, but all of this added to his arsenal, he had one of the strongest bulldogging games in Tekken4, he also had a strong turtling game, he had literally the best and most consistant juggling game due to JFLS and all his other goods, and w/out a doubt, the best wallpush game in Tekken4.

So yep, Tekken4 got alot of bad rap, mainly due to the mere fact that it was too different from other previous Tekken games. However after Tekken 5 came out...all I can say is, Tekken 5 by far is the worse out of the entire Tekken series...way too newbie friendly, stupid crush system makes it feel random at times, wall combos do ridiculous damage.

Oh well...I guess I'll be looking forward to Tekken 6, hopefully they fix things up.
I liked some of the new gamepay mechanics and some of the changes made in Tekken4, but I think the problems were more.
Some characters just didnt feel right. They were way too predictable, and had too many exploitable weaknesses. Nina, Lei and Lee to name a few. Whatever they did I found easily exploitable opportunities to juggle them, while characters like Jin werent that easy to exploit.

Tekken5 kind of fixed this, but the problem is some of the weaknesses are still there, and and I ll agree with you since it relies too much on juggling combos one or two juggles can prove fatal. One uppercut reduces the round's duration into half unless you choose 200% health.

I like juggling combos and all but they should make it harder to uppercut an opponent, or atleast reduce some of the damage the juggling and wall combos make.

If you are a master this wont be much of a problem, but still there isnt much variability and engagement on ground fights because you know that a huge portion of your moves if blocked give the opportunity to the opponent to start a juggle. So unlike VF4 there is lots of repetition of the same moves that guarantee non-explotability. T4 indeed tried to give depth to the ground fights, It didnt do it perfectly but it was a welcome effort that didnt work out well.

I liked some of the new gamepay mechanics and some of the changes made in Tekken4, but I think the problems were more.
Some characters just didnt feel right. They were way too predictable, and had too many exploitable weaknesses. Nina, Lei and Lee to name a few. Whatever they did I found easily exploitable opportunities to juggle them, while characters like Jin werent that easy to exploit.

Tekken5 kind of fixed this, but the problem is some of the weaknesses are still there, and and I ll agree with you since it relies too much on juggling combos one or two juggles can prove fatal. One uppercut reduces the round's duration into half unless you choose 200% health.

I like juggling combos and all but they should make it harder to uppercut an opponent, or atleast reduce some of the damage the juggling and wall combos make.

If you are a master this wont be much of a problem, but still there isnt much variability and engagement on ground fights because you know that a huge portion of your moves if blocked give the opportunity to the opponent to start a juggle. So unlike VF4 there is lots of repetition of the same moves that guarantee non-explotability. T4 indeed tried to give depth to the ground fights, It didnt do it perfectly but it was a welcome effort that didnt work out well.

I'll tell you this, Nina, and Lee where far from being exploitable, infact Nina was arguably the 2nd best character in Tekken4. She had one of the strongest turtling games in Tekken4, her 1,2's where incredibly good, Hiyashida was great, ss+2 on ch was awesome, there was nothing bad about Nina in Tekken4 at all, she wasn't in Jin's league, but she was very strong. Lee arguably had one of the best rushdown's in the entire game, his mist step in Tekken4 was the best version ever, this gave him mad crazy juggling potential as well as bulldogging potential, his 1,2,3 was great, and his 1,2's where ridiculous good, his ss+2 was way too strong and good, and 4,4,4,4 up against the wall as a juggle ender was strong.

Nina and Lee where powerful characters, but Lei on the other hand, he just simply went down the barrel, he was too weak, and had very little juggling potential to even make him good, given he was better than the Bear's...but that's not saying much.

This stuff brings back memories. Jin was a beast in Tekken 4. I used to always win with him, and you are definately right about him. This make me wonder why I kept onto the Tekken 4 other than it being an import. I actually traded Tekken 5 in, though I liked the arcade histiory mode.

I'll tell you this, Nina, and Lee where far from being exploitable, infact Nina was arguably the 2nd best character in Tekken4. She had one of the strongest turtling games in Tekken4, her 1,2's where incredibly good, Hiyashida was great, ss+2 on ch was awesome, there was nothing bad about Nina in Tekken4 at all, she wasn't in Jin's league, but she was very strong. Lee arguably had one of the best rushdown's in the entire game, his mist step in Tekken4 was the best version ever, this gave him mad crazy juggling potential as well as bulldogging potential, his 1,2,3 was great, and his 1,2's where ridiculous good, his ss+2 was way too strong and good, and 4,4,4,4 up against the wall as a juggle ender was strong.

Nina and Lee where powerful characters, but Lei on the other hand, he just simply went down the barrel, he was too weak, and had very little juggling potential to even make him good, given he was better than the Bear's...but that's not saying much.

I was dissapointed in Hworang in Tekken 4. He didn't feel right at all. Nina was my best character in Tekken 3, but I stopped using her when Tekken Tag came out. I agree, Lei was too weak

You're all damn fools... It's ALWAYS been about Xiaoyu!

I mean, think about it... You get to use all sorts of silly, roundabout moves, and beat people up with a little girl. What could be better than that?

Plus, she wanted the tournament money to build an amusement park! Six Flags: Xiaoyu Adventure! :D

Back