The definitive console specs thread.

Guys,
this thread is about console specs not specific implementations in games. From here on, I won't be a tolerant to off-topic posts in here as I've been before.

Euro PS3 motherboard vs. US/Jap PS3 motherboard pics:

USA/Jap version:
ps3_32.jpg

European version:
ps3motherboard7yl5zs6.jpg

source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147900

Lack of EE+GS chip in EU version, no suprise there.

But what's that chip in the Euro version roughly where it's supposed to be?

Last edited by a moderator:
Other differences reported:

Orig RSX: CXD2971GB
New RSX: CXD2971DGB

Orig Cell BE: CXD2964GB
New Cell BE: No Change

Orig XDR Samsung K4Y50164UC-JCB3
New XDR ELPIDA X5116AC-3C-E

Orig HDMI Transmiter: Si19132CBU
New HDMI Transmiter: No Change

Orig *SCC CXD2973GB
New *SCC CXD2979GB
*Only rumored to be the SCC

Since we have real developers here in this forums it could be interesting to know the real specs of the consoles instead the marketing specs. In other words, the most realistic numbers according to the reality.

Devs are under NDA. But things like clockspeed, max RAM, BW, bit-depth's supported, and peak vertex/polygon rates should be reliable. The problem with all these figures is they don't tell you what real-world games will be like,not that they're all made-up numbers.

Is it true that all PSP processors (CPU, GPU and 'Media PU') are embedded in one 90nm chip? What about the '6M Gates' figure? Isn't it a bit low for such a complex chip with 4 MB of EDRAM in it?
It sounds a bit low, maybe the 6M figure is for the logic circuitry, some CPU makers tend to count transistors that way.

Can someone tell me what is the equivalent video card for the PS3 and Xbox 360 GPU? I can't tell just by looking at all those numbers.

Can someone tell me what is the equivalent video card for the PS3 and Xbox 360 GPU? I can't tell just by looking at all those numbers.

Use the Search, young padawan :p
But roughly anyway: PS3 RSX = G70 with cut down membus & ROP's, something between 7900's and 7600's, as it shares a bit of both so to say.
XBox360 Xenos (or was it Xenon? I never remember which is which) = There's nothing to compare to as directly as RSX/G70 comparison goes, as it's not similar to any PC chip, but IIRC some ATI reps stated it's performance is about equal to X1800 or X1900 card, can't remember which

i thought CBEA can handle GPU work???

CELL is not a GPU, and does not have hardware-based 3D graphics rendering capabilities.

there was supposedly going to be a CELL-based GPU called Visualizer, based on some patents publicly seen in 2003, but Visualizer never materialized, and some say it never existed.

the CELL CPU architecture makes a great front-end of the graphics pipeline, traditionally done by geometry engines / T&L units and Vertex Shaders (or normal CPUs) but as far as rasterizing/ rendering / drawing graphics, CELL was not designed for that type of work. otherwise there would be no need for an Nvidia GPU in PS3.

Back