The best sci-fi movie of all time is:

The best sci-fi movie of all time is:

• Blade Runner (dir.: Ridley Scott)

Votes: 30 28.8%
  • Aliens (dir.: James Cameron)

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (dir.: Steven Spielberg)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jurassic Park (dir.: Steven Spielberg)

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • The Matrix (dir.: Andy and Larry Wachowski)

Votes: 13 12.5%
  • Star Wars Episode V The Empire Strikes Back (dir.: Irvin Kershner)

Votes: 14 13.5%
  • Star Trek II the Wrath of Khan (dir.: Nicholas Meyer)

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • Terminator 2 Judgement Day (dir.: James Cameron)

Votes: 8 7.7%
  • The Fifth Element (dir.: Luc Besson)

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • other

Votes: 16 15.4%

• Total voters
Arrgh. First, its "science fiction". It can be "skiffy" if you want to be ironic. Never "sci-fi" which was a bastardization of "hi-fi" by 4E Ackerman in the fifties.

Now. . .I'm stumped. Gattica came to mind. I love The Abyss. I loved the first Matrix, tho from a plot pov it is rather trite --every new sciffy writer wanna-be gives that plot a go. Aliens certainly rocked. Back to the Future might count.

But, y'know, even tho I seriously call it fantasy rather than SF, because imho light sabre + Force = Sword & Sorcery. . . I have to go with the original Star Wars, as it changed the sf movie world and proved how great it was by Lucas f'ing it up by improving it.

2001 is pretty. Also boring and pretentious.

Silent Running is a shrewd pick tho.

I suppose "Robinson Crusoe on Mars" is right out, eh? :LOL:

I do have fond memories of "Marooned" too. Also Clockwork Orange.

geo said:
2001 is pretty. Also boring and pretentious.

Silent Running is a shrewd pick tho.
HERESY.

Your opinions on anything FAIL. (Mainly because I :love: Kubrick more than I :love: Takashi Miike, which is quite a bit of :love:.)

Also, Clockwork Orange isn't a sci-fi movie, really. Nothing science-fictiony about that except brainwashing.

Also: Jurassic Park? Aliens instead of Alien? Terminator 2? Man, people need BETTER MOVIES.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Baron said:
HERESY.

Your opinions on anything FAIL. (Mainly because I :love: Kubrick more than I :love: Takashi Miike, which is quite a bit of :love:.)

Also, Clockwork Orange isn't a sci-fi movie, really. Nothing science-fictiony about that except brainwashing.

Oh, puh-lease, rivet-boy! Just because it doesn't have a ray-gun or a rocketship doesn't mean it can't be science fiction.

Kubrick was an artiste, I'll give him that!

Another guilty pleasure: Miracle Mile

I never say 'best' because whenever I look back on stuff like that I realize how fleeting my preference may be.

Over time many of those listed above have been my favorite. Not mentioned yet:

Close encounters of the third kind.

Of the choices, Blade Runner.

But, I'm going to agree with Baron that some of the choices are questionable. :)

I voted for Fifth Element. Just watched the movie again last week and it's absolutely brilliant.

Of course Aliens, Blade Runner and the Matrix are all great.

I voted for the obvious Blade Runner, though it is hard to choose just one.
Silent Running would also be high on my list, and of course the whole Star Wars, though I'm not so sure if it really can be called Science Fiction.

damn, I just wish Blade Runner would some day finally get a decent DVD release, it's been so long since I last saw it, must have been on a crappy VHS 10 years ago.

rabidrabbit said:
damn, I just wish Blade Runner would some day finally get a decent DVD release, it's been so long since I last saw it, must have been on a crappy VHS 10 years ago.

You mean like this?

Im going to have to wait for a few days before i vote. I want to watch Serenity and then decide. Not sure it will the best scifi movie, but who knows, it might even suprise me.

epic

ROBOCOP. No doubt about it. Heck, I watched it on DVD just a day or two ago.

Runners-up: Aliens, SW:ESB, The Abyss, and then a bunch of others.

Back