The best sci-fi movie of all time is:

The best sci-fi movie of all time is:

• Blade Runner (dir.: Ridley Scott)

Votes: 30 28.8%
  • Aliens (dir.: James Cameron)

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (dir.: Steven Spielberg)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jurassic Park (dir.: Steven Spielberg)

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • The Matrix (dir.: Andy and Larry Wachowski)

Votes: 13 12.5%
  • Star Wars Episode V The Empire Strikes Back (dir.: Irvin Kershner)

Votes: 14 13.5%
  • Star Trek II the Wrath of Khan (dir.: Nicholas Meyer)

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • Terminator 2 Judgement Day (dir.: James Cameron)

Votes: 8 7.7%
  • The Fifth Element (dir.: Luc Besson)

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • other

Votes: 16 15.4%

• Total voters
I must say i'd vote for Donnie Darko. But it wasn't there so i voted for The Fifth Element. the movie is still one of the most brilliant, craziest thing i've ever seen, and i can watch it over and over again without ever getting bored of it. And when it comes out on HDDVD/Bluray i'll be the first to buy it. Again.

Many people don't like the movie, but i can't think of any other movie that has entertained me as much. Everything about it is amazing, from the cast to the script, scenography, storyline, everything!

AlphaWolf said:
You mean like this?
That wasn't a very good transfer, at least to today's standards.
I've kept myself from buying it, because I've hoped for a newer release, doesn't seem to happen anytime soon though...

"Donnie Darko"...? I haven't seen it, I've heard good things about it, but never really thought of it as SciFi, like Howard the Duck wasn't SciFi really.... DD has some space rabbit in it so it must be good!

I voted for Terminator 2: Judgement Day. After all these years, I still think it's one of the better movies outthere just for its story and outlook into the future.

Phil said:
I voted for Terminator 2: Judgement Day. After all these years, I still think it's one of the better movies outthere just for its story and outlook into the future.

Shame about the 3rd one...

Plan 9 :
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052077/

Of course in the list you gave, Blade runner would come first.
The DVD version is not that bad. The one I have is the director's cut with no menu
but there is not always a good reason for a menu.

I wouldn't count ET or Jurassic park as Science Fiction.

Good things not in the list :
Gattaca, Ghost in the shell (one of the inspiration for Matrix), Starship troopers (though not as irreverent as Robocop), 12 monkeys.

LeGreg said:
I wouldn't count ET or Jurassic park as Science Fiction.

Good things not in the list :
Gattaca, Ghost in the shell (one of the inspiration for Matrix), Starship troopers (though not as irreverent as Robocop), 12 monkeys.
Oh yes, 12 Monkeys! That would be in my top 5 of all movies, I loved the setup, I also liked Minority Report quite a lot and now that I think of it, it has a bit similar setup as 12 Monkeys. Starship Troopers was great also.

What makes SciFi a SciFi? Why ET or JP aren't SciFi? Had they been done in the 50's would they have been called SciFi then?
I'd say Jurassic Parks are SciFi, but ET is not.
JP speculates with technology, it has that "what if?" that ET has not.

Donnie Darko is great but I voted Matrix. The sequels sucked but the first was such a mind bend. I loved it. With technology it seemed to reinvent that twisting of reality in a Sci-Fi film. Not on the levels of Star Wars.....but really up there.

silence said:
Dune, Dark City and many others.... list is too flawed....

Dune? DUNE?? D*U*N*E THE F'ING PIECE OF SH*T MOVIE? *THAT* DUNE??

M'god, did you read the book?

Now, the skiffy channel mini-series was much more acceptable.

rabidrabbit said:
"Donnie Darko"...? I haven't seen it, I've heard good things about it, but never really thought of it as SciFi, like Howard the Duck wasn't SciFi really.... DD has some space rabbit in it so it must be good!
Given your description, the story isn't at all what you think it is.

Go watch it.

Jurassic Park is definitely s-f. Pretty good s-f in my book, for the "sense of wonder" factor in the first 1/2 of the movie. The sequels sucked tho, as they missed entirely what made the first one successful and became monster movies instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
2001 shouldn't be missing from the list, its easily one of, if not THE, top contender for the title. In its absence the voting became very easy: Blade Runner it is...

What about Alien? The original broke some real ground and I remember being impressed as all get-out the first time I saw it in theatres. (Not to mention scared shitless!)

The original Time Machine that we used to watch on Family Classics, Jules Verne's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, The Land That Time Forgot, Fantastic Voyage, there are just sooo many! :oops:

Probably Minority Report for me (despite starring Tom Cruise!), Twelve Monkeys was also very good.

There are certainly some very good and enjoyable films on the list but many are "action films" wrapped up in a SF story line. Very few 'pure' SF films (dealing with new concepts) are produced, though I doubt there is a market for many of them.

Perhaps things will change just as soon as Hollywood runs out of Philip K. Dick short stories to rewrite! ;)

Some opinions:

The original Solaris is a cracker.

From the Poll I'm be torn between Alien and Bladerunner.

The Day the Earth Strood Still is just begging for a modern day remake :) It's would be so apt given current world turmoil.

Jurassic Park I'd class as a monster movie rather than SciFi ;)

Mariner said:
Perhaps things will change just as soon as Hollywood runs out of Philip K. Dick short stories to rewrite! ;)

Well, I went off on the original Dune upstream, but the fact is the real problem is that novels don't do 2 hours very well. Imho, short stories are much, much more translatable to a movie.

Novels need a mini-series, imho.

Back