The best sci-fi movie of all time is:

The best sci-fi movie of all time is:

• Blade Runner (dir.: Ridley Scott)

Votes: 30 28.8%
  • Aliens (dir.: James Cameron)

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (dir.: Steven Spielberg)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jurassic Park (dir.: Steven Spielberg)

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • The Matrix (dir.: Andy and Larry Wachowski)

Votes: 13 12.5%
  • Star Wars Episode V The Empire Strikes Back (dir.: Irvin Kershner)

Votes: 14 13.5%
  • Star Trek II the Wrath of Khan (dir.: Nicholas Meyer)

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • Terminator 2 Judgement Day (dir.: James Cameron)

Votes: 8 7.7%
  • The Fifth Element (dir.: Luc Besson)

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • other

Votes: 16 15.4%

• Total voters
I voted for blade runner but i was wondering why noone is talking of Planet of the Apes (the original) ?. It had such an impact on people by that time :)

PatrickL said:
I voted for blade runner but i was wondering why noone is talking of Planet of the Apes (the original) ?. It had such an impact on people by that time :)
Good call.

Mariner said:
Probably Minority Report for me (despite starring Tom Cruise!), Twelve Monkeys was also very good.

There are certainly some very good and enjoyable films on the list but many are "action films" wrapped up in a SF story line. Very few 'pure' SF films (dealing with new concepts) are produced, though I doubt there is a market for many of them.

Perhaps things will change just as soon as Hollywood runs out of Philip K. Dick short stories to rewrite! ;)
I found minority report to be good the first two times I saw it and boring after that.
I can watch star wars original tril over and over though.

event.jpg

london-boy said:
Shame about the 3rd one...

I know - while I am very disappointed with it (hey, it had to be a disaster, I knew it the day I heard they were going through with it), I did like the fact that Judgement Day did become reality at the end of the movie. Maybe our future is inevitable and I think that message saved the movie of being an utter disappointment.

rabidrabbit said:
What makes SciFi a SciFi? Why ET or JP aren't SciFi? Had they been done in the 50's would they have been called SciFi then?

Well for example, would you classify the XFiles as scifi ? I would not.
It shares some identical elements though with ET. It has its own mythology that it presents as current and not derived from science, its effect or extrapolation of its effect (even if there is some scientific advances in the show that don't seem possible with our current technology, but so do James bond movies).

ET and Jurassic park are set in a contemporary environment (it would even be the past by now). ET doesn't figure extensive change of society based on science and its discoveries, rather it takes an extraneous element to shed some light on our own society.
Jurassic park isn't that far fetched, it may just be categorized as a fiction with maybe some elements of fantasy (which draws inspiration from fantasy pieces like the "lost world".). The science is just "there" to explain the presence of live dinosaurs in the movie (like the radioactive bite is there to explain the existence of spiderman but spiderman isn't science fiction).

I know it's a thin line. I know most people won't bother and will put everything under one roof called "sci fi and fantasy". I know putting everything into categories is bad, especially when works can be so diverse and appeal to different audiences.

In France, most science fiction novels are under the term "anticipation" because they deal with the future or an alternative present and aren't necessarily based on science like the term "science fiction" seems to imply.

Ok so here is some science fiction works :
- star wars, dune, cow boy bebop, fifth element.
- robocop, 1984, neuromancer, blade runner, twelve monkeys, logan's run.

Some that are not science fiction to my mind :
- Jurassic park, X-files, the Sixth sense, the Tommyknockers, Conan the barbarian, Land of the deads, Spiderman.

Of course you can disagree.

geo said:
Dune? DUNE?? D*U*N*E THE F'ING PIECE OF SH*T MOVIE? *THAT* DUNE??

M'god, did you read the book?

Now, the skiffy channel mini-series was much more acceptable.

all of them...including sequels and new prequels.... thats why i tolerated so many thing that were done wrong in the movie.... cause i read the book.....

movie as a movie is IMO good.... fact that they totally twisted Herbert's story is different problem...

LeGreg said:
Some that are not science fiction to my mind :
- Jurassic park, X-files, the Sixth sense, the Tommyknockers, Conan the barbarian, Land of the deads, Spiderman.

Of course you can disagree.
As far as I'm concerned, "science fiction" is fiction in which technology is a primary component of the story line.

Jurasic Park, and many X-Files episodes were just that. Of course, many of the x-files episodes are all about the paranormal (which isn't science fiction).

First, it's NEVER(!!!!1 :devilish: ) Sci-Fi or SciFi!
It's either Science Fiction or SF. SF is not a genre, but rather a method.
For further discussion of that subject read "Trillion year spree" by Brian Aldiss.

Simon F said:
I was also quiet surprised to find that I enjoyed "Vanilla Sky".

You know it's only a pale remake of the original "Abre los ojos" (open your eyes)? Not a favourite of mine but nevertheless a decent movie.

Some of the best:

TRON:
A somewhat shattered masterpiece, but nevertheless a real gem. So incredibly original in both ideas and style that it remains unique to this day.
There are some of the scenes that could have been markedly improved with a bit of tweaking and more CGI, but in time the flaws have become part of the experience.

The Day the Earth Stood Still: To my knowledge the first “goodâ€￾ SF movie ever, and still among the ten best.

2001: You need to be in a certain mood to enjoy this. The first time I saw it, it felt really drawn out, but re-watching it a year later, it was completely different movie.

The Forbin Project: I was really pleasantly surprised when I accidentally caught this movie late in the evening recently.
Apart from being a great movie, despite (or because of?) its modest budget, also a hugely influential one.
I had the "so that's where that's where they got that idea" revelation moment several times while watching it.

I like the more dreamy, weird and ethereal Science Fiction movies. The type that makes you think and all that good stuff with the pondering and the talking and the dreaming and the confusement. The type that totally messes up your head after you leave the theater or contemplate in the living room.

Gattaca actually came to my mind first after reading the title of the topic. I see a couple of others also mentioned it.

While I enjoy the action and fantasy style of pictures, when it comes to picking a "best of", I always come back to the more pure science fiction stories, like Gattaca. I really liked Artificial Intelligence too. And Solaris (the re-make... never saw the original) too, despite having to see George Clooney's butt.

If I had to pick an action-oriented film, I'd probably pick the first Matrix movie.

Back