The best sci-fi movie of all time is:

The best sci-fi movie of all time is:

• Blade Runner (dir.: Ridley Scott)

Votes: 30 28.8%
  • Aliens (dir.: James Cameron)

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (dir.: Steven Spielberg)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jurassic Park (dir.: Steven Spielberg)

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • The Matrix (dir.: Andy and Larry Wachowski)

Votes: 13 12.5%
  • Star Wars Episode V The Empire Strikes Back (dir.: Irvin Kershner)

Votes: 14 13.5%
  • Star Trek II the Wrath of Khan (dir.: Nicholas Meyer)

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • Terminator 2 Judgement Day (dir.: James Cameron)

Votes: 8 7.7%
  • The Fifth Element (dir.: Luc Besson)

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • other

Votes: 16 15.4%

• Total voters
_xxx_ said:
The real science fiction is a space opera. Babylon5 or such. It has to include space and aliens. :!:
Are you implying that Jules Vernes "20000 Leagues Under the Sea" was not SF? :oops:

BlueTsunami said:
I like the more dreamy, weird and ethereal Science Fiction movies. The type that makes you think and all that good stuff with the pondering and the talking and the dreaming and the confusement. The type that totally messes up your head after you leave the theater or contemplate in the living room.

You'd probably enjoy "The Quiet Earth" then. I've only seen it once but it was one of those sort of movies.

_xxx_ said:
The real science fiction is a space opera. Babylon5 or such. It has to include space and aliens. :!:

While that might be Hollywood's (and average Joe's) definition of science fiction, it's like claiming that real comedy must contain creamcakes and bushy-moustached policemen.

Not that I object to space operas per se, but the the 'science' part in them is indeed very far in the domain of fiction.

The world needs more Arthur C. Clarke's work filmed.

WhiningKhan said:
While that might be Hollywood's (and average Joe's) definition of science fiction, it's like claiming that real comedy must contain creamcakes and bushy-moustached policemen.

Not that I object to space operas per se, but the the 'science' part in them is indeed very far in the domain of fiction.

giddy.gif
You called xxx an average Joe!

I don't get why Aliens was listed, but not Alien. And Terminator 2 but not Terminator. IMO, the originals were as good or better then the sequels, specially when you value their originality.

Another miss, IMO, was CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE 3rd KIND.

Now if you consider movies that are not pure sci-fi, like DONNIE DARKO (which I loooooved), I would have to say my favorite movie is BRAZIL, by Terry Gillian..

rabidrabbit said:
damn, I just wish Blade Runner would some day finally get a decent DVD release, it's been so long since I last saw it, must have been on a crappy VHS 10 years ago.
I actually bought a Laserdisc player for the Criterion Collection of Blade Runner LD, which IMO, is the best transfer available for the movie.

Too bad it's not the director's cut though. It's the original, US-audience version. Still beautiful quality. It was $$ at the time new though.

I loved Gattaca too and also got the laser of that movie for a great transfer/quality.

_xxx_ said:
This man knows what the fock he's talking about!

Holy barf. Event horizon? I nearly left the theater. Only other movie that I came close to walking out on was that Chow Yun Fat movie with Marky Mark.

I should look up The Good Earth.

Well I liked most of those movies listed T2, Bladerunner (prolly my fav) etc etc

However I have a soft spot for Solaris (the original), you really can't beat it and its absolutely brilliantly filmed.

Guilty pleasure 80s SF classics: Solar babies, Tron, Last starfighter, Mad Max, Total Recall, Screamers. I could go on...

The great thing about Sci Fi movies is.. Either they are instant classics and amongst the best movies ever made (eg 2001, Star Wars, Matrix, Bladerunner, T2 etc) or they are absolutely amongst the worst ever made, and hence totally enjoyable (eg Event Horizon, Starship troopers)

For best cinematography anyway, I would say GATTACA wins easily. Overall, I would say Back to the Future or The 5th Element. Honorable mention: The Matrix, T1&T2, Galaxy Quest, Star Wars V.

Regarding Blade Runner, I watched the movie a fews years ago due to its continual good praise. While I found the movie reasonably enjoyable, I didn't see what was so impressive about it. I can understand the contemporary achievement, but I don't quite get the sentiment that so many people obviously share.

Simon F said:
Are you implying that Jules Vernes "20000 Leagues Under the Sea" was not SF? :oops:

Technically yes, but that kind of movie/book is not what flickers in my mind when someones says SF. I think we need more names for sub-genres...

Alejux said:
I don't get why Aliens was listed, but not Alien. And Terminator 2 but not Terminator. IMO, the originals were as good or better then the sequels, specially when you value their originality.

Another miss, IMO, was CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE 3rd KIND.

Now if you consider movies that are not pure sci-fi, like DONNIE DARKO (which I loooooved), I would have to say my favorite movie is BRAZIL, by Terry Gillian..

I'd call that a sociocritical sarcastic comedy rather than SF.

EDIT: great movie, though :)

I vote 2001

Especially The City and the Stars :cool:

The debate over what is SF & what isn't is largely redundant, there are plenty of quite legitimate sub genres but its hard to compare properly across them eg Bad Taste can be called SF since it has brain eating aliens in a house shaped space ship and is thus totally awesome SF.

Sharkfood said:
I actually bought a Laserdisc player for the Criterion Collection of Blade Runner LD, which IMO, is the best transfer available for the movie.

Too bad it's not the director's cut though. It's the original, US-audience version. Still beautiful quality. It was $$ at the time new though.

I loved Gattaca too and also got the laser of that movie for a great transfer/quality.

The director's cut has just recently been broadcast in HDTV (twice actually, the lesser of the two has excellent quality and the higher bitrate version is nothing short of amazing). Apparently it was taken from the recent remastering for the long anticipated, yet still stalled by legal wrangling, re-release of the DVD.

Back